Daily Baseball 2013

John Buck is on pace to hit 30+. He's hit exactly 20HRs in 1 season and no more than 18 in any other.

Still not impressed.

It's also May 22nd.

Desmond has a full season plus this year proving he has legit 20 homer power. Desmond was also 26 last year, while Buck is 32, so obviously, Desmond is barely entering his prime while Buck should be declining soon.

Also Bucks' HR/FB ratio is absurdly high from his career norms and doesn't match his fly ball rate. It's an anomaly this year.

It's also May 22nd.

Desmond has a full season plus this year proving he has legit 20 homer power. Desmond was also 26 last year, while Buck is 32, so obviously, Desmond is barely entering his prime while Buck should be declining soon.

Also Bucks' HR/FB ratio is absurdly high from his career norms and doesn't match his fly ball rate. It's an anomaly this year.

Correct. That is my point.

Phillips hit 30HR with 94RBIs in 2007. Nobody expected that to be the norm for Brandon.

That's because his flyball rate stayed the exact same while his HR/FB ratio increased 5%. That's an anomaly that showed he had a fluky year. Plus, the next year that HR/FB ratio decreased down to 13.2% while his fly ball rate only went down 1%, proving he had a fluky fly ball year.

While Desmond's HR/FB ratio is low right now, he's increased his fly ball rate. He's still on pace for right around 25 homers despite that anomaly. His home run total should increase if he keeps us his current fly ball rate.

Didn't you make a comment about it only being May 22nd?

Desmond's FB rate/LD rate went up last year also. It could be an anomaly, and his FB rate probably is a little bit (6% uptick) but even if that's at say, 3%, his HR/FB ratio should still go up.

After all this I will at least admit that if we're talking right now this very second considering Phillips being 32 I would lean towards Desmond/Espinosa going forward.

Can debate stats all day, age, not so much.

This is going to be another super depressing Nationals game today. All we need is Gio's horrible command to join the party.

VN Store

Back