Daily Baseball 2013

Nobody is claiming BP is a better "hitter" than Votto so your OBP with nobody on base is worthless.

However your RISP average proves my point quite nicely. Appreciate that.

The whole time we have been talking I have approached it like the season was ending today. Therefore I don't care that you don't think Brandon will keep his RISP that high.

What would you rather have:

A guy who is going to have a .450 OBP with no one on AND THEN hit .368 with RISP.

or...

A guy who is going to hit .435 with RISP and then have a .250 OBP with no one on.

I'll take Player A all day every day.

Phillips career with RISP is .283

Did he just decide that this year it was important for him to hit better with runners on? Or could it be some chance?

What would you rather have:

A guy who is going to have a .450 OBP with no one on AND THEN hit .368 with RISP.

or...

A guy who is going to hit .435 with RISP and then have a .250 OBP with no one on.

I'll take Player A all day every day.

Don't change the subject of the debate in an attempt to prove a point about something that is not being discussed.

Phillips career with RISP is .283

Did he just decide that this year it was important for him to hit better with runners on? Or could it be some chance?

What does that change about the fact that up until this point he has and thus is a better MVP candidate than Votto?

No dude, he hasn't. Votto has been better this season. Phillips has hit behind Choo and Votto, and hit fairly well. Thus, RBIs.

What? Is this a joke? What the heck did you just say?

Runs created doesn't factor in RBI. RBI's are an indicator of your teammates around. wRC+ takes RBI's out of the question to focus on your individual statistics.

wRC and wRC+ | FanGraphs Sabermetrics Library

This one gets kind of complicating.

Runs created - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For example:

In 2009, Ryan Howard had 45 HR/141 RBI's, while Adrian Gonzalez had 40HR/99 RBI's, while also having a 10 point advantage in slugging. If you looked just at that, you would think Ryan Howard was the better slugger that year.

However, wRC takes into account ball park factors too.

Gonzalez wRC: 156

Howard wRC: 139

Gonzalez actually created more runs for his team than Howard.

Don't change the subject of the debate in an attempt to prove a point about something that is not being discussed.

Isn't the subject of the debate who is the Reds MVP? I'm taking Votto's numbers and Phillips numbers and making the point I'd take Votto's peripherals in that situation. That's not changing the debate.

Runs created doesn't factor in RBI. RBI's are an indicator of your teammates around. wRC+ takes RBI's out of the question to focus on your individual statistics.

wRC and wRC+ | FanGraphs Sabermetrics Library

This one gets kind of complicating.

Runs created - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For example:

In 2009, Ryan Howard had 45 HR/141 RBI's, while Adrian Gonzalez had 40HR/99 RBI's, while also having a 10 point advantage in slugging. If you looked just at that, you would think Ryan Howard was the better slugger that year.

However, wRC takes into account ball park factors too.

Gonzalez wRC: 156

Howard wRC: 139

Gonzalez actually created more runs for his team than Howard.

Great. That does not answer my question about guys with the same average hitting 3rd and hitting 7th. Who would create more runs?

Isn't the subject of the debate who is the Reds MVP? I'm taking Votto's numbers and Phillips numbers and making the point I'd take Votto's peripherals in that situation. That's not changing the debate.

You're telling me which player you would take over another. That is not mean that said player has been more valuable to his team.

Great. That does not answer my question about guys with the same average hitting 3rd and hitting 7th. Who would create more runs?

The fact that you're pointing to batting order shows that Phillips' numbers are HEAVILY aided by who hits in front of him, man. I can't even believe you can look at that slash line and remotely think Phillips has been better than Votto this season. It isn't close?

The number you are honing in on that looks good for Phillips... is largely due to Votto's production.

The fact that you're pointing to batting order shows that Phillips' numbers are HEAVILY aided by who hits in front of him, man. I can't even believe you can look at that slash line and remotely think Phillips has been better than Votto this season. It isn't close?

The number you are honing in on that looks good for Phillips... is largely due to Votto's production.

Driving in runs is the name of the game. Gotta score to win no?

Again, wRC doesn't account for lineup construction.

If the guy batting third has a .290/.350/.480 line...

then the guy batting seventh has a .310/.390/.530 line...

the guy batting 7th will have created more runs for his team because he got on base more and slugged better.

However, wRC also accounts for such things as caught stealing, sacrifices, puts more for doubles and triples, and even GIDP. It does take into account at bats as a positive too, however the guy batting third instead of 7th isn't going to gain such a huge advantage that it outweighs what the guy batting 7th does.

I having Margaritas and Mexican with my wife and Mother. You guys are going to force me to drink 2 pitchers to myself.

I'll be back later you bums!

VN Store

Back