Dalton Knecht....

Last year we would have lost this game. Having his offense is huge for us.

UGA was 14 for 20 on 3 pointers with 4:xx minutes remaining. It was like 20' layups all night for them. Impressive win to recover from that and outscore 15-1 to end the game. Beating ANYBODY otr who shot like they did tonight is remarkable.

In true road games this year he has scored 24 (Wisconsin), 37 (North Carolina), 28 (MSU) and 36 (Georgia).

Moral of the story, this team was bad on the, road down the stretch last year (five straight losses) and no better this year, but Knecht kept the NC and MSU games competitive down the stretch and was the deciding factor today. College basketball road games are difficult, but a lot of the frustrations of last years team lackadaisical road energy is the same this year. Knecht has bailed Tennessee out big time.

Edit - I should add that Tennessee probably needs to win four more road games in order to win the conference, assuming they go 8-1 or hold serve in the final eight home games.

Knecht has moved up to first round status in the NBA in my humble opinion.

Reactions: OneVolNation
Knecht has been amazing. His 37 at UNC was 1 point from the most ever scored by a visiting player. Cant believe we lost that game. 36 today was just as impressive...no way in Hell we weather that 14 for 20 barrage from 3 they shot in their run. We have always lost these games when guys go cold....regardless of how big our lead was. He is the difference. A pure scorer that can get it done when everyone else goes cold. So happy to have him. Masterful job by Barnes to bring him in and great job coaching to make the chemistry work within the team as well. Imagine when/if Vescovi and JJJ remember how to be effective scorers? This team can beat anyone handily with their help.

Knecht has moved up to first round status in the NBA in my humble opinion.
His game certainly looks built for that league from what Ive in prob :30/yrs of current game footage. He's up for the Julius Erving SF Award and should win it on the basis of those gliding finger rolls. He actually kinda reminds me of his play in the open court.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Knecht has been amazing. His 37 at UNC was 1 point from the most ever scored by a visiting player. Cant believe we lost that game. 36 today was just as impressive...no way in Hell we weather that 14 for 20 barrage from 3 they shot in their run. We have always lost these games when guys go cold....regardless of how big our lead was. He is the difference. A pure scorer that can get it done when everyone else goes cold. So happy to have him. Masterful job by Barnes to bring him in and great job coaching to make the chemistry work within the team as well. Imagine when/if Vescovi and JJJ remember how to be effective scorers? This team can beat anyone handily with their help.
I am concerned that the chemistry is not working. Everyone wants to say when Vescovi and JJJ become effective and I believe DK role (and appropriately so ) as the primary scorer and offensive trigger has affected those two to the point of as someone said earlier they are becoming "unplayable".
The only we they sc ore the last two games is have DK operate off the top of the key and find his shot one on one plus run every out of bounds play for him to get a three shot.
I am interested to see what SEC coaches do when these two tapes are studied.

In true road games this year he has scored 24 (Wisconsin), 37 (North Carolina), 28 (MSU) and 36 (Georgia).

Moral of the story, this team was bad on the, road down the stretch last year (five straight losses) and no better this year, but Knecht kept the NC and MSU games competitive down the stretch and was the deciding factor today. College basketball road games are difficult, but a lot of the frustrations of last years team lackadaisical road energy is the same this year. Knecht has bailed Tennessee out big time.

Edit - I should add that Tennessee probably needs to win four more road games in order to win the conference, assuming they go 8-1 or hold serve in the final eight home games.

If it wasn't for this guy the team would be in terrible shape. That is sad to say but also a testament to how good Knect is.

I just wonder what the other transfer forward would have given the team. The one that left before he played a game because James and Vescovi took roster spots that led to a log jam. James and Vescovi so far appear to be worse than last year to start SEC play. Playing good defense only takes you so far. It just means you're playing hard, but where are the other skills?

Reactions: TartanTurff
Really hoping his and ZZ’s mentality rubs off on Santi & JJJ

Those guys are 5th year seniors. If it hasn't happened by now then it's hard to see it happening. Now I'm starting to think they came back, not due to unselfishness necessarily though they are that, but because they had no other options when you take a close look at their games.

I'm just wondering if Knect and ZZ can carry the team the rest of the year. That is a tall task with such little consistent help from the supporting cast.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Those guys are 5th year seniors. If it hasn't happened by now then it's hard to see it happening. Now I'm starting to think they came back, not due to unselfishness necessarily though they are that, but because they had no other options when you take a close look at their games.

I'm just wondering if Knect and ZZ can carry the team the rest of the year. That is a tall task with such little consistent help from the supporting cast.

I would consider giving Mashack a couple of starts and have Vescovi come off the bench until he gets his shooting stroke back on a consistent basis.

JJJ can fill up the stat sheet and any offense he provides is a bonus.

I would consider giving Mashack a couple of starts and have Vescovi come off the bench until he gets his shooting stroke back on a consistent basis.

JJJ can fill up the stat sheet and any offense he provides is a bonus.

It's the first time in his career that I thought Vescovi might be better coming off the bench to see if that helps. The guy is missing wide open shots. You can't be considered a pure shooter and look that bad. He's had a pure shooter reputation for years. I'm not sure what has happened. The other aspects of his game look solid.

James does fill up the stat sheet but I've never seen a guard/forward that came in as a rated so high have problems with simple finishes at the rim.

I truly hope that JJJ and Santi can become better complimentary players. They need to step up because teams are going to make it harder for Dalton to score. Also, Gainey has got to get some confidence back. He can't throw it in the ocean right now. This game just shows that Tenn was not going to go to far in the tournament with just Santi and JJJ. They needed that extra player who can score.

VN Store

Back