Dalton Knecht....

I am concerned that the chemistry is not working. Everyone wants to say when Vescovi and JJJ become effective and I believe DK role (and appropriately so ) as the primary scorer and offensive trigger has affected those two to the point of as someone said earlier they are becoming "unplayable".
The only we they sc ore the last two games is have DK operate off the top of the key and find his shot one on one plus run every out of bounds play for him to get a three shot.
I am interested to see what SEC coaches do when these two tapes are studied.
JJJ and Vescovi struggle to get open. Vescovi because he's simply not athletic enough and James because he is physically built for big time athletics but not mentally built. The brighter the lights the deeper in the hole he hides. When they do get open they are not making the shots. This may be a mental issue with Vescovi as well because he is the most natural shooter of the two. James shot disappeared against Purdue, Kansas, and in league play. It's not a coincidence. I don't think any of these things have anything to do with DK. The may not be as many shots to go around but they can all play efficient offensive basketball.

Were not a great team this year if we don't have him. No one was going to do what he did yesterday with the same amount of shots so we probably lose. We could hit another level if we get some scoring out of JJJ and Vescovi both have not been doing much the last three games. 2 for 11 yesterday.

Were not a great team this year if we don't have him. No one was going to do what he did yesterday with the same amount of shots so we probably lose. We could hit another level if we get some scoring out of JJJ and Vescovi both have not been doing much the last three games. 2 for 11 yesterday.

If that is the argument, then how many teams are "great" if you subtract their best player? How good is Purdue without Zach Edey? How good is Kansas without Hunter Dickinson?

If that is the argument, then how many teams are "great" if you subtract their best player? How good is Purdue without Zach Edey? How good is Kansas without Hunter Dickinson?
True one player is the difference for a lot of the teams. We could be really great with a little Vescovi and JJJ help.

Reactions: walkenvol
Know guys like that are as rare as hen's teeth, but man, just once I'd like to have a dominant big man on our roster...just once.

Knecht has been amazing. His 37 at UNC was 1 point from the most ever scored by a visiting player. Cant believe we lost that game. 36 today was just as impressive...no way in Hell we weather that 14 for 20 barrage from 3 they shot in their run. We have always lost these games when guys go cold....regardless of how big our lead was. He is the difference. A pure scorer that can get it done when everyone else goes cold. So happy to have him. Masterful job by Barnes to bring him in and great job coaching to make the chemistry work within the team as well. Imagine when/if Vescovi and JJJ remember how to be effective scorers? This team can beat anyone handily with their help.
Remember he got hurt before he could have taken the free throws. Or he would have put up 39. Maybe 40+

Reactions: VolPack22
Know guys like that are as rare as hen's teeth, but man, just once I'd like to have a dominant big man on our roster...just once.
I would rather have a dominant wing player like Knecht than a dominant big, unless that big man can stretch the floor and knock down long range shots. Those players are extremely rare though, you would pretty much be asking for an Anthony Davis which is a generational talent. Whenever you need a 3 down the stretch how is that big man going to help other than hopefully get an offensive rebound? Knecht can create shots from the rim all the way out to 3 point range, which is a more valuable asset to the team.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I'd almost puke if Knect went to a selfish team like the Lakers.
I don’t disagree about the team being selfish. Haven’t liked the construction of the team since “He Who Shall Not Be Named” got there. Don’t want to turn this into one of those debates but they are my team and the Lakers would be lucky to have someone like Knecht.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Those guys are 5th year seniors. If it hasn't happened by now then it's hard to see it happening. Now I'm starting to think they came back, not due to unselfishness necessarily though they are that, but because they had no other options when you take a close look at their games.

I'm just wondering if Knect and ZZ can carry the team the rest of the year. That is a tall task with such little consistent help from the supporting cast.
But, it has happened for Santi, 2 time all-SEC, including 1st team, once. If he can get back to that level, the skies the limit for this team, imo

fully agreed. if he can go to a team with a facilitator (point guards are dead) and someone that can attack the paint (james, davis, reeves). He reminds me of a bigger JJ Reddick. Weakness 0 defense.
Defense is not played in the NBA----he'll be fine

Defense is not played in the NBA----he'll be fine
Not at all true. If you can't play defense without fouling it's hard to stay on an NBA roster. If you have no other significant offensive skill you have to be able to shoot 3s as well.

But, it has happened for Santi, 2 time all-SEC, including 1st team, once. If he can get back to that level, the skies the limit for this team, imo

I've held out hope that Santi could return to previous form but man he's looked bad most of the year. Analyst don't even try to brag on him anymore. He just seems like a liability on offense. You don't even trust that it's going in anymore when he takes it.

I've held out hope that Santi could return to previous form but man he's looked bad most of the year. Analyst don't even try to brag on him anymore. He just seems like a liability on offense. You don't even trust that it's going in anymore when he takes it.
He’s looked bad most of the year? The first 5 games, Santi was terrible. He was 3-17 from three for 17.6%.

His last 11 games he’s 20-53 from three for 37.7%. Every other area he’s an absolute dog and team player.

Sometimes it’s good for all of us to take a step back from our critical narrative because we “know” something is true. Look at the facts and be willing to come to the conclusions based on evidence, not some feeling.

Santi’s shooting has not been great, but since the Kansas game it’s been pretty solid. Those are the facts. He hasn’t been terrible most of the year.

He’s looked bad most of the year? The first 5 games, Santi was terrible. He was 3-17 from three for 17.6%.

His last 11 games he’s 20-53 from three for 37.7%. Every other area he’s an absolute dog and team player.

Sometimes it’s good for all of us to take a step back from our critical narrative because we “know” something is true. Look at the facts and be willing to come to the conclusions based on evidence, not some feeling.

Santi’s shooting has not been great, but since the Kansas game it’s been pretty solid. Those are the facts. He hasn’t been terrible most of the year.

So you think that is getting it done from a 5th year senior who was supposed to help lead the scoring?

Do you seriously think 2-5 is enough for this team out of Vescovi, which is what he did against Georgia?

So you think that is getting it done from a 5th year senior who was supposed to help lead the scoring?

Do you seriously think 2-5 is enough for this team out of Vescovi, which is what he did against Georgia?
Did you want him taking more of Knecht’s shots? In a game there are only so many possessions and so many shots to be had, especially with the number of turnovers we had. That’s the way the numbers work. You might look at advanced metrics and read about eFG% and TS%. What you will see based on the numbers might surprise. Maybe it won’t. But, Santi will continue to start and play big minutes because the man in charge knows his stuff.

Sorry, I’m a lifelong Lakers fan. I want a Vol on the team to root for.
I know a lot of long time Lakers fans that Lebron has turned them against the Lakers. Although I’ve always liked the Celtics and thought Larry Bird was great and I will admit the showtime lakers with Magis was fun to watch.

Reactions: VolPack22

VN Store

Back