Devrin Young Injury

Young is arguable our ONLY playmaker--and he gets hurt in the first game against austin peay. and so it goes for UT.

JONES: (On Devrin Young) "We will know more later in the week. We are just waiting for word on that. He is at the doctor now."

out 6 weeks is the estimate

This sucks. I keep hearing people just say "next man up". Or "he doesn't take it to the house".

People are totally under appreciating the ability to safely field punts and kicks as he does. He's also a good solid 10 yard per return guy. Might not take them to the house....but he catches it and has a real solid career average.

Reactions: 1 person
time for a player to step up and get some playing time. . .say Smith? Summerhill?

Last edited:
This sucks. I keep hearing people just say "next man up". Or "he doesn't take it to the house".

People are totally under appreciating the ability to safely field punts and kicks as he does. He's also a good solid 10 yard per return guy. Might not take them to the house....but he catches it and has a real solid career average.

Totally agree
He's been very solid fielding punts. I'm afraid some people on here may learn a lesson when we stick someone new back there and they cough it up once or twice on Punts.

This hurts in return game worse than at WR and we are already thin there. I think Johnson looked good in his short time out there. I think he may have some big plays in him. I also think carter can get some more catches. He just isn't a playmaker. Really need Jenkins back.

agree. it sounds like they will redshirt Devrin.

Reactions: 3 people

I agree that people probably do under appreciate it but come on man! An 85 man roster and NOBODY else has the ability to field a damn punt?

I agree that people probably do under appreciate it but come on man! An 85 man roster and NOBODY else has the ability to field a damn punt?

You're asking the wrong man....I don't know. I do know we went from 2-3 years of NOBODY being able to field a punt to DY being extremely sound in doing so. Then everyone found something else to cry about. "he's not a breakaway threat". Got a bunch of damn crybaby fans is what I think.

Reactions: 4 people
CBJ is preaching teamwork, and that is a nice change. If CBJ is as good as we all hope he is, he planned for Devrin's and all position players injuries. Therefore, this should only be a small blip on the radar. DY - get back soon.

We'll be just fine y'all. The sky is not falling because of one player that's hurt. CBJ gets it & he will have the answer for this. He knows the players & that's why they pay him the big bucks to solve problems like this. There's a stable of players that can do the job.

This one hurts.. Some of you must not remember how bad we were at fielding punts before Devrin came to UT. That was the main reason he wasn't redshirted his freshman year.

define "playmaker" because I have yet to see DY do a thing on the field that is reason to bring this much concern

He's not a big play maker but he can field a punt. This one may hurt more than you think.

Deverin Young is a pretty darn good football player and he will be missed, however, if he is to be out for 6 weeks, it may indeed be wise to RS him. We will need Young next year and beyond. Fielding punts can be very difficult, especially in the wind, sun, and night games. The old football can have a mind of it's own when comming down, spinning, tumbling, knuckle type float and ect. so it takes a good centerfielder to cleanly field punts, not to mention returning the punt.

VN Store

Back