Did he or Didn't he????????

Did Blake Burke Swing or Not Swing at the controversial pitch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Me too. I thought Blue was consistent with the strike zone for both team.

I don’t think people appreciate how difficult it is to call a game behind the plate. Plus, every strike or ball is scrutinized with replay.
Go back and view the second strike on BB AND the first ball on DD. Feel free to look at the rest of the game. Nearly identical Breaking pitches that rode the river till beyond the plate, that catchers pulled back in were NOT consistent.

Number 1 the only opinion that mattered was the third base ump and he said no swing , number 2 we had several of their guys struck out that walked and came around to score and 3 they had a base runner miss 3rd base with the ball still in the outfield so let em whine
Absolutely every one complaining on fsu yall got beat get over it

Reactions: vol94
Go back and view the second strike on BB AND the first ball on DD. Feel free to look at the rest of the game. Nearly identical Breaking pitches that rode the river till beyond the plate, that catchers pulled back in were NOT consistent.
Agree to disagree, then.

Agree to disagree, then.
The strike zone vs calls is something that can be measured after the fact against an umpires calls. Factually this umpire was both inconsistent and inaccurate. There’s nothing to agree or disagree about when it’s something that can be empirically measured.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Option 2 is wrong and should be worded differently…the rule reads as this…

NCAA 2-39 Half Swing​

Half Swing

SECTION 39. An attempt by the batter to stop the forward motion of the bat while swinging, which puts the batter in jeopardy of a strike being called. The half swing shall be called a strike if the barrel head of the bat passes the batter’s front hip. This does not apply to a bunt attempt when the batter pulls the bat back.

Crossing home plate has nothing to do with anything…where do you guys get this nonsense from…lol
Thanks for posting this. I always thought the barrel’s location with respect to the hands was the determining factor.

The strike zone vs calls is something that can be measured after the fact against an umpires calls. Factually this umpire was both inconsistent and inaccurate. There’s nothing to agree or disagree about when it’s something that can be empirically measured.
Once again, we can agree to disagree. There are too many that think we are victims to every call in every sport.

Either way would've been the right call. That was as close as you can get without getting a strike call. If the ump had called a strike, I would've been ok with the call.

The game wasn't decided by that one play
Would anyone be talking about the check swing if it had happened in the 3rd inning? Free Shoes U. cost themselves 1 run with careless base running and were beneficiaries of many strikes called balls and a phantom balk call.

Once again, we can agree to disagree. There are too many that think we are victims to every call in every sport.
I didn’t say anything about being victims. I said that home plate umpires are objectively judged by real data. That ump called a bad game. That’s an objective fact. There’s nothing to agree to disagree about. I didn’t say we one or lost based on the umpires. I said he was objectively bad at calling balls and strikes. That’s not debatable. Once again.

Why do we have a post about this? The Ump said no! Dam, enjoy the win if your a Vol fan if not gtfo!
Dude. Medicine time. (FYI: "dam" is what holds water back. Damn is used when you are very upset)

The bat crossing the -lat has nothing to do with the call.The call is, did he break his wrists on his check swing. There is no question in my mind that he did check his swing and the 3rd base Ump made the correct call.

I didn’t say anything about being victims. I said that home plate umpires are objectively judged by real data. That ump called a bad game. That’s an objective fact. There’s nothing to agree to disagree about. I didn’t say we one or lost based on the umpires. I said he was objectively bad at calling balls and strikes. That’s not debatable. Once again.
I’m not going to argue with you but again, agree to disagree. And yes, it’s debatable if he called a good or bad game.

Option 2 is wrong and should be worded differently…the rule reads as this…

NCAA 2-39 Half Swing​

Half Swing

SECTION 39. An attempt by the batter to stop the forward motion of the bat while swinging, which puts the batter in jeopardy of a strike being called. The half swing shall be called a strike if the barrel head of the bat passes the batter’s front hip. This does not apply to a bunt attempt when the batter pulls the bat back.

Crossing home plate has nothing to do with anything…where do you guys get this nonsense from…lol
So clearly a strike?

I can’t believe this is still a discussion.
I think the OP was raising the question since it was controversial.

But I won’t apologize that the call went our way. It was 50-50, imo. FL State had numerous opportunities with two outs and two strikes to put the game away

Tears (triple), Peebles (walk), Cal (sac fly), C Mo (double) and Burke (two run single) all had two strikes but had ice in their veins.

I don’t recall the count for Billy and DD but they were clutch, too.

Who cares. Vols won, period. I’m not getting into the what if scenarios. If a frog had wings……….Vol won, FSU lost and that’s all that matters to me.

VN Store

Back