Do we win a natty in football...

I think football is the least likely of the 3 anytime soon.
Disagree unless there's a coaching change... and I don't dislike Barnes. It just seems that the way he builds teams produces success like the Atlanta Braves of the 80's and 90's. Win a high percentage but with flaws that assure they cannot make a run. I would definitely love to be wrong. I think Barnes has built a great foundation that someone could come in and take to the next level with a slightly different philosophy.

IMHO, Heupel is precisely the kind of coach that can win championships in this new reality. For decades, I believe it was never about getting support and all about getting a good coach. I think the question now lies with how much support can be sustained.

Reactions: Samthebam
Wow how did I miss this thread. Paging Dr. Justin, your presence is needed in the crow eating section of VN

I think football sooner out of the remaining 2. Just because I think everything was set up for basketball this year with arguable our best team and we still couldn’t even reach a final 4

Reactions: chattaboogie
Disagree unless there's a coaching change... and I don't dislike Barnes. It just seems that the way he builds teams produces success like the Atlanta Braves of the 80's and 90's. Win a high percentage but with flaws that assure they cannot make a run. I would definitely love to be wrong. I think Barnes has built a great foundation that someone could come in and take to the next level with a slightly different philosophy.

IMHO, Heupel is precisely the kind of coach that can win championships in this new reality. For decades, I believe it was never about getting support and all about getting a good coach. I think the question now lies with how much support can be sustained.
Strange. I thought the Braves one a championship.

I think they won one in all of those years of being at or near the top in regular season wins.

Cox was a better baseball mgr than Barnes is compared to his peers.
I agree it was one in the 90s. The 80s they sucked. My point is they still won a championship. You are acting like Barnes will not win one with your comment.

Name them

Well since 1980 it’s pretty much been UConn, Duke, Kentucky, Villanova, Kansas, Indiana (under knight) NC, Louisville. I think those 8 teams make up 90 percent of the NC and all won multiple times.

There are just certain coaches in their prime (Hurley, Smith, Coach K, Knight, Pitino) who are just a level above the rest. It’s not if this group would win one but how many. Hurley is the modern day Knight. As long as he stays at UConn they will be a NC threat.

I think they won one in all of those years of being at or near the top in regular season wins.

Cox was a better baseball mgr than Barnes is compared to his peers.
No he wasn’t. Cox was a better GM than manager. But he should’ve won 3+ rings. Barnes hasn’t ever had the most talented team in America that “should” have won it all.

The Braves were the most talented team in MLB many times and didn’t win. Barnes has to win with culture, coaching, and teamwork to compliment good talent.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Well since 1980 it’s pretty much been UConn, Duke, Kentucky, Villanova, Kansas, Indiana (under knight) NC, Louisville. I think those 8 teams make up 90 percent of the NC and all won multiple times.

There are just certain coaches in their prime (Hurley, Smith, Coach K, Knight, Pitino) who are just a level above the rest. It’s not if this group would win one but how many. Hurley is the modern day Knight. As long as he stays at UConn they will be a NC threat.
Louisville and Indiana have fallen significantly. Neither have been a threat for awhile now.

Heck yeah! Why not? If we can do that in baseball we can do that in football...again. It is not easy. Many great teams finished second or third or so on. Fan base can help immensely with resources, support, getting in the seats and cheering our butts off.

I agree it was one in the 90s. The 80s they sucked. My point is they still won a championship. You are acting like Barnes will not win one with your comment.
I actually like him. I think he's advanced the program. I'm not one to make "absolute" statements about what will or won't happen unless I completely control it.

But I don't think Barnes will win a NC. I don't know if his style of play hurts his recruiting or if his recruiting dictates his style of play. However he seems to focus so heavily on defense that the O is too inconsistent to make the kind of run you need to win the NC. Some of the guys even seem to regress playing for him like James and Vescovi.

Barnes seems to be a straight up guy and good coach. But I don't really see an indication that he's building teams that can make those runs. Possible. But very unlikely IMO.

I actually like him. I think he's advanced the program. I'm not one to make "absolute" statements about what will or won't happen unless I completely control it.

But I don't think Barnes will win a NC. I don't know if his style of play hurts his recruiting or if his recruiting dictates his style of play. However he seems to focus so heavily on defense that the O is too inconsistent to make the kind of run you need to win the NC. Some of the guys even seem to regress playing for him like James and Vescovi.

Barnes seems to be a straight up guy and good coach. But I don't really see an indication that he's building teams that can make those runs. Possible. But very unlikely IMO.
smh....

VN Store

Back