Electric Vehicles

But then you have to figure in dealer cost and the continual advertising. IDK much about the car business but my brother in law is the General Manager of a GM dealership in AR and he makes stupid money. Hell, when he was the F&I manager he was pulling in over 400K.

So there is a f^ck load of money being made in the car business.
Margins on new aren't that high. Plus with the new FTC regs, I'd say it will be harder for dealers to f*** people over. Not to mention, the ones who still are, are just dumb AF.

I get it back in the day (even today sometimes), people weren't up to speed about things. If you aren't in this day and age, that's on you homie.

Because we all need an EV to save the planet
I hesitate to jump on stories like this re: EVs. There is a lot of energy consumption involved in the refining, production, transport, storage, and refueling process of gasoline, too. The amount of electricity my T uses to charge has proven trivial in my electricity bill/ usage.

The biggest hurdle in mass adoption of EVs, IMO, is the seemingly-impossible issue of charging them all during long distance travel. As I've said before, you would need Wal-Mart (or bigger) sized stations every 25-50 miles to handle interstate traffic during peak travel, especially. It would be a total CF. And, there are plenty of areas remote enough (see: highways we take to the Destin/30A area) that don't have any convenient superchargers along that route.

I hesitate to jump on stories like this re: EVs. There is a lot of energy consumption involved in the refining, production, transport, storage, and refueling process of gasoline, too. The amount of electricity my T uses to charge has proven trivial in my electricity bill/ usage.

The biggest hurdle in mass adoption of EVs, IMO, is the seemingly-impossible issue of charging them all during long distance travel. As I've said before, you would need Wal-Mart (or bigger) sized stations every 25-50 miles to handle interstate traffic during peak travel, especially. It would be a total CF. And, there are plenty of areas remote enough (see: highways we take to the Destin/30A area) that don't have any convenient superchargers along that route.
My posting of the story wasn’t meant to be a knock on EVs. I have friends that own them and love them for local driving, but all have told me they no longer take them on trips due to charging issues.
My thought when posting the link was how the government is ramming these down our throats when the existing infrastructure is inadequate

Michigan township Green Charter Votes Out its Entire Local Government over China-linked EV Battery Maker Gotion's plan to build a factory there​

The entire local government of a small Michigan township was voted out this week, in a recall election over concerns about a Chinese-affiliated company's plans to build an electric vehicle battery plant nearby.

In a special election on Tuesday, Green Charter Township's five board members, who are all Republicans, were voted out in favor of candidates who ran without any party affiliation.

Hours after the vote, the town's new leaders wasted no time, changing the locks on the township's main government building, according to NewsNation National Correspondent Brian Entin.

The petition that launched the recall election cited concerns that town officials were ignoring voter concerns over China-linked company Gotion's plan to open a $2.3 billion EV plant there, which is expected to create 2,350 jobs.

Although it is backed by Volkswagen with operations in Germany, Gotion's parent company is based in China, and has been accused of having links to the country's Communist Party.

Michigan township Green Charter Votes Out its Entire Local Government over China-linked EV Battery Maker Gotion's plan to build a factory there​

The entire local government of a small Michigan township was voted out this week, in a recall election over concerns about a Chinese-affiliated company's plans to build an electric vehicle battery plant nearby.

In a special election on Tuesday, Green Charter Township's five board members, who are all Republicans, were voted out in favor of candidates who ran without any party affiliation.

Hours after the vote, the town's new leaders wasted no time, changing the locks on the township's main government building, according to NewsNation National Correspondent Brian Entin.

The petition that launched the recall election cited concerns that town officials were ignoring voter concerns over China-linked company Gotion's plan to open a $2.3 billion EV plant there, which is expected to create 2,350 jobs.

Although it is backed by Volkswagen with operations in Germany, Gotion's parent company is based in China, and has been accused of having links to the country's Communist Party.

Good for them. Time there was some serious anti-China action around here. You can almost bet any Chinese industry is linked back to the CCP; it's not a free economy, and too many people haven't figured that out. This is also the way our representative government is supposed to work - they don't represent you, you kick them out.

Another Elon Inferno: Texas Tesla Erupts in Fire Days After Fresh Battery Installed​

1699666411224.png

A Tesla vehicle caught fire in Plano, Texas, early Friday morning, leading to concerns about electric vehicle battery safety. The owner claims he just had a new battery installed by Elon Musk’s company, only to discover a hissing noise coming from it followed by flames shooting out from the battery compartment.

WFAA reports that in the early hours of Friday morning in Plano, Texas, a Tesla vehicle unexpectedly caught fire, raising fresh concerns about the safety of electric vehicle batteries. According to the car’s owner, the incident occurred shortly after midnight in the residential area of the 2700 block of Sacred Path Road. The owner reported hearing a hissing noise from the vehicle’s battery, which had been installed just the day before. Upon checking the car, they discovered flames shooting out from the battery.

Fortunately, the incident did not result in any injuries, and firefighters from the Plano Fire Department were able to quickly respond to the scene. They employed a unique technique to manage the situation, covering the vehicle with a tarp and then moving it into the street to fully extinguish the fire. This approach underscores the unique challenges that electric vehicle fires pose to emergency response teams, given the high energy density and potential volatility of lithium-ion batteries used in these vehicles.

I saw the Plano story on local news. They didn’t put the fire out they don’t have the means to do that on the trucks. They referenced their “special training” which is basically isolate the vehicle to prevent collateral damage and “contain” the fire within the vehicle while it burns itself out. They basically can’t put these fires out.

ETA: let me clarify. They aren’t worth the risk and effort to put out as they don’t have the specialized means on the trucks to do so. Isolate the vehicle, put water on the open flames to dampen the fire as much as possible, and let the fire burn itself out. Plano and Allen FD handled a recent tanker fire in a similar fashion recently. It’s just a car don’t risk getting someone hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: AM64
I saw the Plano story on local news. They didn’t put the fire out they don’t have the means to do that on the trucks. They referenced their “special training” which is basically isolate the vehicle to prevent collateral damage and “contain” the fire within the vehicle while it burns itself out. They basically can’t put these fires out.

ETA: let me clarify. They aren’t worth the risk and effort to put out as they don’t have the specialized means on the trucks to do so. Isolate the vehicle, put water on the open flames to dampen the fire as much as possible, and let the fire burn itself out. Plano and Allen FD handled a recent tanker fire in a similar fashion recently. It’s just a car don’t risk getting someone hurt.

I saw this today. If EVs weren't the greenies' wet dream, they be screaming to the heavens to ban them because of pollution in manufacturing and in fire related incidents.

Tesla Model X Slides Down Boat Ramp, Ignites And Burns Underwater | Carscoops

New York City officials say the electric garbage trucks it has purchased in the name of combatting climate change cannot do double duty as snowplows — ‘they basically conked out after four hours.’”

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back