Electric Vehicles

The Tesla killer? Toyota's EV breakthrough will allow cars to travel 745 miles on a Single 10 Minute Charge - more than DOUBLE the range of most existing electric vehicles​

• Toyota says its new batteries would offer 745 mile-range and 10-minute charging
Toyota has said it is close to being able to mass manufacture potentially revolutionary solid-state batteries that could offer double the range of existing electric cars.

According to Toyota, cars powered by solid-state batteries could have a range of 745 miles, a charging time of 10 minutes and hit the market in 2027 or 2028.

They have been presented by experts as a revolutionary technology that could bring EVs into the mainstream.

Switching to an electric vehicle is out of reach for many Americans, experts have warned, as a lack of access to charging ports mean they fear being left stranded in shorter-range vehicles.

Eh I’ve got the ******** flag out on this one. Not on you on the article. Didn’t read the article even the power required to do that would be ridiculous

That's probably why Tesla stock is in the tank.
1) this was a Toyota not a Tesla.

2) over a full year interval Tesla stock is basically flat. Stretch that time out longer and it’s negative. Over a three year window it’s almost flat again.

So that really isn’t the dig you think it is. The market is getting crowded and we’re starting to see the weaker ones fall off already. Tesla is the strongest of the bunch I’d say but they’re far from a Wall Street darling I’d say.

I don't understand the mentality that EVs aren't yet what they will be, so abandon them. It's the ultimate in letting the search for the perfect be the enemy of the good.

1) this was a Toyota not a Tesla.

2) over a full year interval Tesla stock is basically flat. Stretch that time out longer and it’s negative. Over a three year window it’s almost flat again.

So that really isn’t the dig you think it is. The market is getting crowded and we’re starting to see the weaker ones fall off already. Tesla is the strongest of the bunch I’d say but they’re far from a Wall Street darling I’d say.
All in timing, my friend:

Screenshot_20231024_001123_Fidelity.jpg

Reactions: InVOLuntary
All in timing, my friend:

View attachment 590022
They’ve existed since what 2003 or 2005? They made their first full year profit in 2020? And demand for EVs even Tesla seem to have peaked in the near term? Timing indeed like maybe take the money and run for a while. But if one is gonna make money I think it will be Tesla

Reactions: Wireless1
I don't understand the mentality that EVs aren't yet what they will be, so abandon them. It's the ultimate in letting the search for the perfect be the enemy of the good.
I’ve said multiple times in here I think Battery EVs are a mid point on the technology curve and that hydrogen fuel cell EVs are the more long term final development point.

I don’t think battery EVs should be abandoned let the consumer decide. But I don’t think the government should be propping BEVs up like they are

Gavin Newsom Pimps Chinese Electric Car Company BYD, the Same Company He Awarded a $1B Mask Contract​

During his trip to China to discuss climate change (and "combating xenophobia," but nothing else), California Gov. Gavin Newsom toured the Shenzhen facility of electric automobile manufacturer Build Your Dreams (BYD) and tested out their newest product.

Great! With a $3,200 down payment and a new car loan at, say, 6.34 percent, your payment will be only $3200 - and that's without California sales tax. Then we have registration fees, some of which vary by county and city in the state. If you live in Santa Monica, you can expect to pay $17,357 in registration fees on top of that purchase price. THEN, figure out what you're going to pay to charge it - when there aren't rolling blackouts.

If you're still excited about this vehicle, perhaps because you believe Gavin's law about outlawing gas-powered vehicles sometime in the near future in California will actually come to pass, you then have to hope that it won't stall out when going uphill. That's the problem BYD's electric buses have historically had, including fleets provided to various California agencies. From a May 2018 Los Angeles Times investigative report:

Welp, it's happened. My wife's Model Y was clipped last night by somebody pulling out onto the road. Their nose went over the centerline and she tried to get over to avoid it. Damage to the driver's side rear fender, rear door, and bumper. Nobody hurt. The vehicle had a vinyl wrap in matte red which will obviously need to be replaced as well.

Luckily she was able to pull up the dash camera and show the THP officer what happened, clearly putting the other driver at fault.

I've heard stories of Tesla body work costing a ton of money. Now we find out for ourselves...

Reactions: VolFaninFla
Welp, it's happened. My wife's Model Y was clipped last night by somebody pulling out onto the road. Their nose went over the centerline and she tried to get over to avoid it. Damage to the driver's side rear fender, rear door, and bumper. Nobody hurt. The vehicle had a vinyl wrap in matte red which will obviously need to be replaced as well.

Luckily she was able to pull up the dash camera and show the THP officer what happened, clearly putting the other driver at fault.

I've heard stories of Tesla body work costing a ton of money. Now we find out for ourselves...

Other driver's carrier ought to cover that.

Do the cameras automatically save footage if a collision is detected?

I think they record automatically- she was able to pull it right up. I've never messed with it myself.

Other driver's carrier ought to cover that.

Ideally I can just contact their insurance directly and leave mine out of it. We've never been in this situation before honestly, but I'm paranoid that as soon as my insurance finds out our rate will go up regardless of fault.

GM, Honda Scrap Plans To Co-Develop ‘affordable’ Sub-$30,000 EVs​

• GM and Honda have canceled plans to jointly develop affordable electric vehicles as they face slower-than-expected demand and changing market conditions.
have canceled plans to jointly develop affordable electric vehicles as they face slower-than-expected demand and changing market conditions.

The unwinding of the tie-up roughly a year and a half after it was announced is the latest in a string of decisions by automakers, specifically GM, to scale back or cancel previously announced EV plans.

The partnership was expected to use GM’s next-generation Ultium battery technology to produce millions of EVs that cost less than $30,000 for global markets beginning in 2027. They were set to include popular compact crossover vehicles.

Reactions: Vol737
I think they record automatically- she was able to pull it right up. I've never messed with it myself.

Ideally I can just contact their insurance directly and leave mine out of it. We've never been in this situation before honestly, but I'm paranoid that as soon as my insurance finds out our rate will go up regardless of fault.

Shouldn't but who knows, its all very murky. The more direct issue is if the other driver is uninsured and you have to make a claim on your own uninsured motorist coverage.

Reactions: AM64

GM, Honda Scrap Plans To Co-Develop ‘affordable’ Sub-$30,000 EVs​

• GM and Honda have canceled plans to jointly develop affordable electric vehicles as they face slower-than-expected demand and changing market conditions.
have canceled plans to jointly develop affordable electric vehicles as they face slower-than-expected demand and changing market conditions.

The unwinding of the tie-up roughly a year and a half after it was announced is the latest in a string of decisions by automakers, specifically GM, to scale back or cancel previously announced EV plans.

The partnership was expected to use GM’s next-generation Ultium battery technology to produce millions of EVs that cost less than $30,000 for global markets beginning in 2027. They were set to include popular compact crossover vehicles.

Wonder if that kills any plans for a reintroduced Bolt. The current design was killed earlier this year with a vague commitment to reintroduce a new design at a later date. The sub $30K market would be the Bolt target consumer group.

EV makers simply cannot allocate all the lithium and other metals required to build an infinite number of EVs. There’s not enough to go around. Good news is the govt will again pick the winners and losers. Just great.

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back