Electric Vehicles

yeah I saw that as well....The Diablo Canyon thing though is totally self inflicted. putting those eggs totally in green supposedly

There are some gambles with plant life extension, but we have or should be getting a handle on many of them. The surveillance samples that are tested periodically should have given us answers about radiation embrittlement in the reactor itself. Piping is generally monitored enough through ultrasound and hydro testing to be considered safe. Steam generator tube leaks are pretty detectable, and so on. The biggest concern is probably more in instrumentation and control; a lot of that stuff is antique by now; and with nuclear certification you can't just buy off the shelf replacements. Utilities with halted construction projects have probably done well selling off components as spares to other utilities with sister plants.

Reactions: Smokey X
yeah I saw that as well....The Diablo Canyon thing though is totally self inflicted. putting those eggs totally in green supposedly
Come on Smok, plenty more to the closing of Diablo and it’s a very sound and updated plant. Even Cali can’t produce enough green kWh to replace what they’ve lost in closing down San Onorfe and Diablo. Look at the amount of power they buy from out of state.
Diablo is scheduled to permanently go off line unit 1 in 2024 and Unit 2 in 2025. With total decommissioning within 60 years. Politics mainly plus sitting on/near a major fault lines along with expiring water permits were the death of Diablo Canyon Power Plant.

Come on Smok, plenty more to the closing of Diablo and it’s a very sound and updated plant. Even Cali can’t produce enough green kWh to replace what they’ve lost in closing down San Onorfe and Diablo. Look at the amount of power they buy from out of state.
Diablo is scheduled to permanently go off line unit 1 in 2024 and Unit 2 in 2025. With total decommissioning within 60 years. Politics mainly plus sitting on/near a major fault lines along with expiring water permits were the death of Diablo Canyon Power Plant.

oh I am more than aware that there is a lot to the closing. But IMHO, it is total politics. I wasn't trying to assert that Cali could produce enough green to replace it. I just hate to see perfectly good updated generating plants shut down.

There is enough concrete and rebar built into that plants design to address the fault line issues (see first attached link). Couldn't have been initially licensed if it wasn't plus another huge study after Fukishima. Expiring water permits is politics.

If you want some crazy reading, try out some of the documents which address penalties to electrical suppliers on meeting the green agenda.

Q&A: Options for the Diablo Canyon nuclear plant

Diablo Canyon nuclear plant closure will escalate energy poverty - CFACT

https://www.canarymedia.com/article...ent-to-replace-diablo-canyon-but-is-it-enough

There are some gambles with plant life extension, but we have or should be getting a handle on many of them. The surveillance samples that are tested periodically should have given us answers about radiation embrittlement in the reactor itself. Piping is generally monitored enough through ultrasound and hydro testing to be considered safe. Steam generator tube leaks are pretty detectable, and so on. The biggest concern is probably more in instrumentation and control; a lot of that stuff is antique by now; and with nuclear certification you can't just buy off the shelf replacements. Utilities with halted construction projects have probably done well selling off components as spares to other utilities with sister plants.

agree with all that. I'm pretty sure that the industry as a whole has tackled the I&C problems by implementing modifications that transition the original design analog equipment to digital systems. Huge modifications.

Reactions: AM64
agree with all that. I'm pretty sure that the industry as a whole has tackled the I&C problems by implementing modifications that transition the original design analog equipment to digital systems. Huge modifications.

Since I retired, I just don't follow what the nuclear industry has been doing. Some that I've seen like the mini-reactor concept don't make sense to me because why go to all the siting and licensing issues to put out less power ... but not my problem. PLEX was just getting started about the time I retired; I was asked to attend a few committee meetings, but most as I recall involved the hardware side. I had little to do with the plant instrumentation necessary for operation other than using neutron power, pressure, and flow instrumentation for noise analysis. In that sense "noise" is looking at variations in the signal that can be related to physical events in the reactor coolant system - for example variations in the neutron flux as monitored by the power range detectors outside the reactor vessel can show motion/vibration of the core barrel and fuel assemblies - and indication of wear or other anomalous behavior. At Three Mile Island we used the same technique to monitor how effective efforts to bleed off hydrogen gas produced during fuel assembly failure were going and to determine what sensors in the plant appeared to be degraded.

I think the analyses on sensors, cabling, and signal penetrations through the containment wall are probably very extensive. I did a lot of work with Loose Part Monitoring Systems, and most channels at TMI were very degraded but operable. I saw a similar failure in another plant and got the failed device to Sandia Labs where the analysis of the TMI equipment was underway. Turns out the device failed due to radiation damage of MOSFET components, and they were able to estimate the amount of radiation before failure. We knew it was a radiation failure at TMI because the same component exposed to excessive heat at the top of the reactor wasn't as degraded as the ones under the reactor where radiation was greater. You would think that with years of exposure to heat and radiation the cabling and potentially penetrations might need replacing too - lots to think about and test.

Since I retired, I just don't follow what the nuclear industry has been doing. Some that I've seen like the mini-reactor concept don't make sense to me because why go to all the siting and licensing issues to put out less power ... but not my problem. PLEX was just getting started about the time I retired; I was asked to attend a few committee meetings, but most as I recall involved the hardware side. I had little to do with the plant instrumentation necessary for operation other than using neutron power, pressure, and flow instrumentation for noise analysis. In that sense "noise" is looking at variations in the signal that can be related to physical events in the reactor coolant system - for example variations in the neutron flux as monitored by the power range detectors outside the reactor vessel can show motion/vibration of the core barrel and fuel assemblies - and indication of wear or other anomalous behavior. At Three Mile Island we used the same technique to monitor how effective efforts to bleed off hydrogen gas produced during fuel assembly failure were going and to determine what sensors in the plant appeared to be degraded.

I think the analyses on sensors, cabling, and signal penetrations through the containment wall are probably very extensive. I did a lot of work with Loose Part Monitoring Systems, and most channels at TMI were very degraded but operable. I saw a similar failure in another plant and got the failed device to Sandia Labs where the analysis of the TMI equipment was underway. Turns out the device failed due to radiation damage of MOSFET components, and they were able to estimate the amount of radiation before failure. We knew it was a radiation failure at TMI because the same component exposed to excessive heat at the top of the reactor wasn't as degraded as the ones under the reactor where radiation was greater. You would think that with years of exposure to heat and radiation the cabling and potentially penetrations might need replacing too - lots to think about and test.

wow....I'm guessing that you wrote or contributed to some of the documents which were produced as lessons learned from TMI.

You seen those micro plants...bascially trailer mounted

wow....I'm guessing that you wrote or contributed to some of the documents which were produced as lessons learned from TMI.

Some - also worked on acoustic valve leak detection - somewhat easy transition from loose part monitoring. One of the biggest contributing factors at TMI was the failure of at least one pressure relief valve failing to close and dumping a lot of coolant as steam.

Some - also worked on acoustic valve leak detection - somewhat easy transition from loose part monitoring. One of the biggest contributing factors at TMI was the failure of at least one pressure relief valve failing to close and dumping a lot of coolant as steam.

yes....and because of the target rock valve design it erroneously indicated the valve closed

I have used some of the ultrasonic leak detection for compressed air. Basically same thing? If so, I am sure your's was a lot more sophisticated

I am probably way off base

No, they came after my time. I still have trouble seeing the viability with siting and licensing though. The word "nuclear" stirs up emotions and there are lots of NIMBYs in this world.

same here....that aside, from what I can tell from publicly available info, the Terra Power approach looks intriguing and promising

I have used some of the ultrasonic leak detection for compressed air. Basically same thing? If so, I am sure your's was a lot more sophisticated

I am probably way off base

Probably not that far off. We used accelerometers as the sensor - just like in loose part monitoring. So instead of detecting a signal in the ultrasonic range, we just monitored in the acoustic range. Since sound is vibration when transmitted in metal structures, accelerometers work pretty much like a stethoscope. You can connect any number of devices to signal conditioner (or amplifier) for analyses; we generally analyzed with oscilloscopes and frequency analyzers (Fast Fourier Transform). We also used speakers and headphones; your ears are pretty amazing when it comes to analyzing sound.

Reactions: Orangeburst
Can’t imagine the moral panic the Libs Are trying to work through right now attempting to reconcile their moral imperative to save the earth using Elon Musk‘s Tesla with their newfound certainty that Musk is literally Hitler for trying to buy and reform Twitter. I think mental breakdowns are imminent 😂

Electric-car charging stations are becoming more common, but there's still one huge problem: Tons of them Don't Work

cdb0e258ea4f3ceb7f31a1d6564606d6

• Electric car charging stations have major reliability issues, a new study found.

• More than 25% of charging stations in California's Bay Area were unusable, according to researchers.
As the global auto industry spends billions to go green, the number of electric-car charging stations in the US is growing rapidly. But quantity isn't everything — and the quality of many of those stations is lacking.

A study of public electric-vehicle stations in California's Bay Area found that only 72.5% of chargers were operational. California has by far the most electric car owners of any state and has been a leader in electric and hybrid vehicles for years. But its charging infrastructure shows major reliability issues, the study, first reported by the San Francisco Chronicle, found.

The survey was conducted by David Rempel, a retired professor of bioengineering at the University of California Berkeley, and Cool the Earth, a nonprofit focused on cutting carbon emissions. Volunteers visited 181 public DC fast-charging stations and tested the 657 individual charging plugs. A connector was labeled functional if it successfully charged an EV for two minutes or if volunteers observed an electric car was already charging.

DC fast-chargers, sometimes called Level 3, are the most powerful type of charger and offer the quickest charge. Tesla Supercharger locations were not included in the survey because they only serve Tesla cars.

A total of 22.7% of connectors were non-functioning due to problems including network connectivity issues, broken plugs, unresponsive screens, and payment system failures. Around 5% of connectors had cables that were too short to reach an EV's charging port, rendering them unusable.

Electric-car charging stations are becoming more common, but there's still one huge problem: Tons of them don't work

Electric-car charging stations are becoming more common, but there's still one huge problem: Tons of them Don't Work

cdb0e258ea4f3ceb7f31a1d6564606d6

• Electric car charging stations have major reliability issues, a new study found.

• More than 25% of charging stations in California's Bay Area were unusable, according to researchers.
As the global auto industry spends billions to go green, the number of electric-car charging stations in the US is growing rapidly. But quantity isn't everything — and the quality of many of those stations is lacking.

A study of public electric-vehicle stations in California's Bay Area found that only 72.5% of chargers were operational. California has by far the most electric car owners of any state and has been a leader in electric and hybrid vehicles for years. But its charging infrastructure shows major reliability issues, the study, first reported by the San Francisco Chronicle, found.

The survey was conducted by David Rempel, a retired professor of bioengineering at the University of California Berkeley, and Cool the Earth, a nonprofit focused on cutting carbon emissions. Volunteers visited 181 public DC fast-charging stations and tested the 657 individual charging plugs. A connector was labeled functional if it successfully charged an EV for two minutes or if volunteers observed an electric car was already charging.

DC fast-chargers, sometimes called Level 3, are the most powerful type of charger and offer the quickest charge. Tesla Supercharger locations were not included in the survey because they only serve Tesla cars.

A total of 22.7% of connectors were non-functioning due to problems including network connectivity issues, broken plugs, unresponsive screens, and payment system failures. Around 5% of connectors had cables that were too short to reach an EV's charging port, rendering them unusable.

Electric-car charging stations are becoming more common, but there's still one huge problem: Tons of them don't work
Looks like a problem for the highly qualified and fit Secretary of Transportation.

No, they came after my time. I still have trouble seeing the viability with siting and licensing though. The word "nuclear" stirs up emotions and there are lots of NIMBYs in this world.

I watched a mini docu-series on TMI yesterday on Netflix. I think its top ten trending show right now. It's terrifying how close the east coast of the U.S. was to being uninhabitable due to government corruption and corporate greed. How the public was lied to about the seriousness of the events and how after all of it was exposed, regulators at the NRC just shrugged and allowed these criminals to restart TMI 1 without thinking twice,

Sorry if the question is redundant, but what's the long term solution for disposal of the waste?

VN Store

Back