Electric Vehicles

My father used to regale me with a story about when his father died. My father was in the military and was stationed in Phoenix AZ, and he drove back to East TN straight through. This was in the early 50's pre interstate days. I don't know how he did it.

Wonder what the speed limit was then.

The West generally has more liberal speed limits and probably LEO attitudes. I was on a long two-lane in eastern WY 20 years ago and came over a rise running 105. Instantly saw a trooper heading toward me who put on his lights. As we neared each other, he motioned for me to slow down, I waved thanks for the break.

I stopped for gas, bodily functions, and drive-through food. And stretching to return circulation to my ass. Nicotine helps; I don't smoke anymore but buy a pack each way for these trips. IV coffee drip...

The '07 4Runner has been a beast. I've averaged round-trips to the Rockies getting up to 25 mpg and would drive anywhere in the hemisphere tomorrow. Outside of regular maint., just a RF axle, a belt, and a wheel bearing; just a freakishly good vehicle.

I chew nicorette gum but have never smoked lol.

Reactions: NCFisher
What numbskull cited that fake story about bio weapons locations in Ukraine? I think it was from some unknown news outfit called "ASB" that seemed not to exist before. Turns out it was Russian propaganda.

What numbskull cited that fake story about bio weapons locations in Ukraine? I think it was from some unknown news outfit called "ASB" that seemed not to exist before. Turns out it was Russian propaganda.

Nuland admitted there are bio-labs there - just said they were "weapons" locations. Neither was Wuhan Institute of Virology.

Further discussion should be in Ukraine thread

Well that would be the opposite of Tori Nulands sworn testimony.

Nuland admitted there are bio-labs there - just said they were "weapons" locations. Neither was Wuhan Institute of Virology.

Further discussion should be in Ukraine thread
It came out of her mouth during questioning from Rubio. The problem is their preachers over at CNN haven't been highlighting it so people l like lawgator are still going to deny it.

Oh yeah. Looks like we've been played by Trump as he just continued to allow much of the GOP establishment to play their con game. Elaine Chao, transportation secretary under Trump and Bush and wife of Mitch McConnell, is on the board of an EV charging company. So we got the former transportation on the board of an EV charging company and our current secretary and president are pushing for electric vehicles.

Aren't you guys glad there are people like me who can think for themselves?

I drove 23 hours non-stop from MT last year and was mildly hallucinating the last couple hours.
Greenies forcing me to add another 4-5 hours charging time is, well...irresponsible of them.
And driving while "mildly hallucinating" is very irresponsible of you. Glad you didn't kill yourself or anyone else.

Oh yeah. Looks like we've been played by Trump as he just continued to allow much of the GOP establishment to play their con game. Elaine Chao, transportation secretary under Trump and Bush and wife of Mitch McConnell, is on the board of an EV charging company. So we got the former transportation on the board of an EV charging company and our current secretary and president are pushing for electric vehicles.

Aren't you guys glad there are people like me who can think for themselves?
She is also on the board of Vulcan Materials one of the largest infrastructure building companies in this country and we just passed the big infrastructure bill. Seems as if she will be rolling in money.

Reactions: AM64
She is also on the board of Vulcan Materials one of the largest infrastructure building companies in this country and we just passed the big infrastructure bill. Seems as if she will be rolling in money.
Unfortunately people still can't seem to connect the dots.

Reactions: AM64
Who routinely needs 500-700 miles/day?
Yes I realize I’m way behind on this thread, but I need an f250 that can regularly go 300+ miles a day while loaded down.
I don’t routinely need a handgun to defend myself. But the one time I did I’m glad I had it. There are situations where refueling immediately could be life and death. It’s better to have and not need than need and not have. I think we need to transition the technology of transportation. Synthetic fuels are showing some real potential. EV are clearly not a workable solution. They’re just not. There are too many problems that can’t be overcome

Would one get a dui if In autonomous driving mode?
Depends on the definitions employed in the state where you were arrested. In Tennessee, I suspect you could/would get charged depending on whether the police officer who stopped you had above average judgment. You’d have a defense* that you weren’t in physical control of the vehicle, which is one of the elements of the statute.

I expect case law will eventually decide that it’s acceptable for a jury to convict under those circumstances. It seems no different from sleeping it off in a parked car with the keys within reach, which courts have found is a sufficient factual basis to support a conviction.

The interesting thing is if you’re in an automated car, what did you get pulled over for?

*- “would have a defense” means you could argue it to a jury or use it as leverage in negotiations with a prosecutor. I’m not saying it would be successful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orangeburst
Depends on the definitions employed in the state where you were arrested. In Tennessee, I suspect you could/would get charged depending on whether the police officer who stopped you had above average judgment. You’d have a defense that you weren’t in physical control of the vehicle, which is one of the elements of the statute.

I expect case law will eventually decide that it’s acceptable for a jury to convict under those circumstances. It seems no different from sleeping it off in a parked car with the keys within reach, which courts have found is a sufficient factual basis to support a conviction.

The interesting thing is if you’re in an automated car, what did you get pulled over for?

Since you can be convicted of a DUI for sleeping in your car while drunk (keys in pocket) I think a conviction for being drunk in a self driving car would be pretty automatic.

Since you can be convicted of a DUI for sleeping in your car while drunk (keys in pocket) I think a conviction for being drunk in a self driving car would be pretty automatic.

It’s a question for the jury, which means it’s not automatic. A lot of juries are receptive to the argument that the defendant did the right thing (I.e. sleeping it off or letting the car drive itself). This gives you some leverage to try to get it reduced by agreement.

If you fail to reach an agreement with the prosecutor, a conviction could happen and I think it would be upheld on appeal.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the statute is eventually changed to make it clear that it encompasses this situation.

VN Store

Back