Electric Vehicles

You're the perfect of example of the modern reporter. taking a part of a quote to misrepresent it. Be accurate for once and quote the whole post.
You're the perfect example of a mindless drone simply repeating someone else's words. You have zero original thoughts and little to no understanding of policy. I have no clue why you keep returning to the political forum over the years and with all your other names. At least the old guy posting the exact same dumb pics every day seems to have a Biden-like excuse

California Asks Residents To AVOID Charging Electric Vehicles Due To Blackout Risk Days After Unveiling New Gas Car Ban

California-.jpg

Days ago, officials in California unveiled a plan to phase out new gas-powered cars. Now, officials are asking residents to avoid charging their electric vehicles in the interest of not overwhelming the power grid.

“The top three conservation actions are to set thermostats to 78 degrees or higher, avoid using large appliances and charging electric vehicles, and turn off unnecessary lights,” according to the American Public Power Association. During a “Flex Alert,” residents are encouraged to reduce energy consumption from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm — the hours in which “demand for electricity remains high and there is less solar energy available.”

California Asks Residents To Avoid Charging Electric Vehicles Due To Blackout Risk Days After Unveiling New Gas Car Ban | The Daily Wire

Gotta love it when a plan really comes together. Shut down nuclear plants, blow up dams, fail to control growth, then demand change to something unsustainable, and watch it all fall down. The funny part is that it's a recipe for disaster, but I really don't think CA politicians thought they were screwing up. It's just the result of trying to run a culture bound by technology when none of the "leaders" knows a damn thing about technology or what it takes to make it work. Regulatory agencies are run by lawyers rather than technical types, and legislators are clueless egotists without meaningful education.

Gotta love it when a plan really comes together. Shut down nuclear plants, blow up dams, fail to control growth, then demand change to something unsustainable, and watch it all fall down. The funny part is that it's a recipe for disaster, but I really don't think CA politicians thought they were screwing up. It's just the result of trying to run a culture bound by technology when none of the "leaders" knows a damn thing about technology or what it takes to make it work. Regulatory agencies are run by lawyers rather than technical types, and legislators are clueless egotists without meaningful education.

I actually think most of them know exactly what they are doing. Depopulation is going to be a bitch. Everything looks like its going to plan to me or going in that direction.

giphy.gif

I actually think most of them know exactly what they are doing. Depopulation is going to be a bitch. Everything looks like its going to plan to me or going in that direction.

giphy.gif

I really don't think most of our leaders think deeply enough to consider most of their unintended consequences. There probably are people who believe in depopulation; I believe in at least reducing the rate of increase, but I'm not a world leader or politician ... and certainly not a religious leader who believes in domination through procreation. After all it was obvious all along that if you tie climate change to man and man's actions, then there is absolutely no way to decouple population size. If you believe that one man is responsible for screwing up the earth's environment, it's pretty much impossible to exclude "x" as a multiplier where "x" is the number of people. There are other population related factors - like perhaps nature can diffuse the effects of smaller batches of less concentrated pollutants but not the effects of concentrated pollution surrounding large urban areas - yet, I can't recall that being discussed anywhere.

The really ironic part is that I've never seen questions about how acres of windmills might affect wind patterns or how acres of solar cells change reflected and absorbed solar energy even though we know that solar energy sets in motion stuff like the temperature differences that drive wind currents and drives evaporation in bodies of water. I don't think you'll ever find an honest evaluation of the full effect that producing corn for ethanol to dilute our fuel does. You can't pull energy from a system without changing the system - doesn't matter if it's adding heat from generation, adding pollutants from burning combustibles, or pulling solar or wind energy out of the air; it all makes change, and the more people you do it for, the bigger the change.

Even with all we do. We can't control what others do. The excessive population in places like China and India, the Chinese rape of their land and environment (even if we weren't helping drive it), and we certainly have no control over slash and burn agriculture in the third world. Deforestation absolutely directly affects CO2 and oxygen exchange, affects solar heating, etc; but we are as bad as the slash and burn heathens in ripping up forests to plant urban blight. That's without even getting into things like planned obsolescence - like my perfectly functional cellphone that will no longer receive OS updates because the totalitarians running the companies don't want to deal with continual updates if they can force you into a new phone to do what the old one still does.

I really don't think most of our leaders think deeply enough to consider most of their unintended consequences. There probably are people who believe in depopulation; I believe in at least reducing the rate of increase, but I'm not a world leader or politician ... and certainly not a religious leader who believes in domination through procreation. After all it was obvious all along that if you tie climate change to man and man's actions, then there is absolutely no way to decouple population size. If you believe that one man is responsible for screwing up the earth's environment, it's pretty much impossible to exclude "x" as a multiplier where "x" is the number of people. There are other population related factors - like perhaps nature can diffuse the effects of smaller batches of less concentrated pollutants but not the effects of concentrated pollution surrounding large urban areas - yet, I can't recall that being discussed anywhere.

The really ironic part is that I've never seen questions about how acres of windmills might affect wind patterns or how acres of solar cells change reflected and absorbed solar energy even though we know that solar energy sets in motion stuff like the temperature differences that drive wind currents and drives evaporation in bodies of water. I don't think you'll ever find an honest evaluation of the full effect that producing corn for ethanol to dilute our fuel does. You can't pull energy from a system without changing the system - doesn't matter if it's adding heat from generation, adding pollutants from burning combustibles, or pulling solar or wind energy out of the air; it all makes change, and the more people you do it for, the bigger the change.

Even with all we do. We can't control what others do. The excessive population in places like China and India, the Chinese rape of their land and environment (even if we weren't helping drive it), and we certainly have no control over slash and burn agriculture in the third world. Deforestation absolutely directly affects CO2 and oxygen exchange, affects solar heating, etc; but we are as bad as the slash and burn heathens in ripping up forests to plant urban blight. That's without even getting into things like planned obsolescence - like my perfectly functional cellphone that will no longer receive OS updates because the totalitarians running the companies don't want to deal with continual updates if they can force you into a new phone to do what the old one still does.
Standing Ovation! Could you also include next time how little it would have cost us to pay and have the rain forest left in place, and what positive impact that would have.

EVs will not be practical for most Americans unless they can reach a point of running an entire day on a single charge (500 to 700 miles necessary). American distances are much greater than in Europe and long road trips to visit family in other states or the marathon overnighter to go to Disney after you get off work on a Friday mean that a depleted battery pack after 300 to 400 miles is a non starter. You can refill the gas tank in under five minutes. What is the best time for a full battery recharge (I honestly don’t know)

Just a little info: Tesla says it takes 15 min to get a 200 mile charge at a Tesla Super Charge station. According to the US Dept of Transportation the average US citizen drives 39 miles per day.

Just a little info: Tesla says it takes 15 min to get a 200 mile charge at a Tesla Super Charge station. According to the US Dept of Transportation the average US citizen drives 39 miles per day.

Is that city or highway miles to get that range..or does it even matter?
Say it is accurate..could someone do the math of 200M vehicles and say they have to only be recharged every 5 days..can the Grid meet that demand for 40M per day?

Reactions: AM64
Not routinely. But probably 5 or 6 times a year. Am i supposed to rent a car for a whole week to go to Disney. Or rent a car for that Thanksgiving trip to visit out of state family?
And if I am going to the Smokey’s for a camping trip and I have the extra weight of tents, bicycles, maybe kayaks, not to mention the weight of the family members themselves then that stated 300 miles might not be achievable. And don’t even CONSIDER towing a camper, even a light pop up

It is true that it takes a little planning for a longer trip with an EV. I have a couple friends who recently went on a 1200 mile round trip in their EV. What they did was plan lunch or dinner around charging stops. On one stop they were charging near my house and I picked them up and we went out to lunch, it was good seeing them again.

Reactions: AM64 and Wireless1

EVs for the daily commute would work for most people. For me and my wife they would not work.

It is true that it takes a little planning for a longer trip with an EV. I have a couple friends who recently went on a 1200 mile round trip in their EV. What they did was plan lunch or dinner around charging stops. On one stop they were charging near my house and I picked them up and we went out to lunch, it was good seeing them again.

Were they pulling a 6,000lbs boat and/or 16,000lbs camper?

It's 25 miles to the nearest Tesla charger from my house, and they only go up to 120kw, so I suppose that 15 minutes is now 1 hour with another hour round trip to get to it and back.

Say it is accurate..could someone do the math of 200M vehicles and say they have to only be recharged every 5 days..can the Grid meet that demand for 40M per day?

I just used Tesla numbers. I do have a Tesla Y on order and it's suppose to be delivered by the end of Nov. The range for the Tesla Y is advertised as 330 miles on a full charge.

Why would you only charge every 5 days? I've installed a charger in my garage and I'll just plug it in over night and have a full charge to start the next day.

How will poor people afford a new EV? Is the gov gonna hand out like Obama phones?

There are like a thousand questions and nobody in the power structure asks or cares.
So excuse me if I aint buy this BS or why and how to provide a solution.

I just used Tesla numbers. I do have a Tesla Y on order and it's suppose to be delivered by the end of Nov. The range for the Tesla Y is advertised as 330 miles on a full charge.

Why would you only charge every 5 days? I've installed a charger in my garage and I'll just plug it in over night and have a full charge to start the next day.

I used your math based on say 200M vehicles and daily mileage. 100% to no charge math.

It's 25 miles to the nearest Tesla charger from my house, and they only go up to 120kw, so I suppose that 15 minutes is now 1 hour with another hour round trip to get to it and back.

I put a Tesla charger in my garage so I can charge at home. The charger plus install was around $900 and the electric utility paid me $500 for installing the charger so net cost of the charger was about $400.

I think some sort of testing standards have been established for calculating miles per charge. I just don't know what it is exactly.

I think some sort of testing standards have been established for calculating miles per charge. I just don't know what it is exactly.

Show me a comprehensive plan of all the macro, micro and frankly National Security issues and I will listen. That even discounts the science of it all being man made in the first place.
One would think....this is probably a Hundred Trillion and massively disruptive worldwide economic issue that is going to be as cataclysmic event as even if the rising ocean theory was true.

I'm sure they weren't, but good for them. My only objection to EVs is that they will be pushed down our throats and lifestyles will have to change.

I understand people don't want things forced down their throats. I'll let you know once I've received my Tesla.

VN Store

Back