Electric Vehicles

I despise Trump. Why does everyone automatically assume that if you dislike Biden you have to automatically like Trump. And Elon isn’t a Maga Trumper IMHO. He just sees through the bull the current administration is pumping out.
I would LOVE A Tesla as a second car. I would gladly accept one of you would purchase it for me 😉

You are right I do assume Elon is a Trumper. He's certainly not pro Biden and for good reason. Actually, I wanted to wait for the Mercedes EQE which should be available in February here in Eugene. I've owned a number of MBs and have enjoyed all of them.

I saw some posts on here about "financing" these cars, I only finance a car when I can make more money with my money elsewhere. A few years ago MB gave me a one half percent loan on the balance. If I can't make more than a half percent on my money, I've got serious problems. So in that case I financed and made some money for myself.

Wish you luck on someone buying a Tesla for you... It could happen...... ;)

You are right I do assume Elon is a Trumper. He's certainly not pro Biden and for good reason. Actually, I wanted to wait for the Mercedes EQE which should be available in February here in Eugene. I've owned a number of MBs and have enjoyed all of them.

I saw some posts on here about "financing" these cars, I only finance a car when I can make more money with my money elsewhere. A few years ago MB gave me a one half percent loan on the balance. If I can't make more than a half percent on my money, I've got serious problems. So in that case I financed and made some money for myself.

Wish you luck on someone buying a Tesla for you... It could happen...... ;)
I actually would like a Fiat 500E. LOVE Fiats

Reactions: RavinDave
Ok, I'll bit... what is it that you love about Fiats? They do have a certain style to them that's different.
Sporty, handle well. When I had a 500, I could fit it into ANY parking space. Italian styling. Just feels like la dolce vita taking physical shape. Now I shall go drink my SanPelligrino and listen to Verdi. Chio!

Wyoming is set to BAN sales of new electric vehicles by 2035 to 'ensure the stability' of its oil and gas industry

• Wyoming is set to become the first state to phase out electric vehicles by 2035
Wyoming has introduced state legislation to ban the sale of new electric vehicles by 2035 to 'ensure the stability' of its oil and gas industry.

The bill also notes that Wyoming lacks charging stations and that 'the critical minerals used in electric batteries are not easily recyclable or disposable.'

Wyoming is set to BAN sales of new electric vehicles by 2035 | Daily Mail Online

Wyoming is set to BAN sales of new electric vehicles by 2035 to 'ensure the stability' of its oil and gas industry

• Wyoming is set to become the first state to phase out electric vehicles by 2035
Wyoming has introduced state legislation to ban the sale of new electric vehicles by 2035 to 'ensure the stability' of its oil and gas industry.

The bill also notes that Wyoming lacks charging stations and that 'the critical minerals used in electric batteries are not easily recyclable or disposable.'

Wyoming is set to BAN sales of new electric vehicles by 2035 | Daily Mail Online

I think that got killed in committee at the state legislature.

Bad law is bad.

My issue with buying an electric car is its re-sale value. If the batteries are only warranted for 8 yrs, what's it going to be worth about that time? I think I'll wait awhile and see how that shakes out first. I will say that there are all sorts of Teslas out there now. I see several every day

My issue with buying an electric car is its re-sale value. If the batteries are only warranted for 8 yrs, what's it going to be worth about that time? I think I'll wait awhile and see how that shakes out first. I will say that there are all sorts of Teslas out there now. I see several every day
I think there will be solutions for the batteries but it will likely be several generations before it takes hold. And I doubt the fix will be backwards compatible and no telling how long the generations last between fixes.

Biden's 'Blood Battery' Energy Agreement Incentivizes Forced Labor in African Mines

308e9113-24f8-4e1b-a3e0-5231330ec427@news.ap.org-1000x600.jpg

The State Department announced on Wednesday that the United States had signed a new Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the Republic of Zambia "concerning support for the development of a value chain in the electric vehicle battery sector." The MOU is the latest round move in President Biden's war on fossil fuels that he's pledged to "end" and part of his forced "transition" from gasoline-powered cars to electric vehicles. It's also a massive gift to those profiting off of forced labor, including by children, in the African countries signing the memo.

As the State Department explained, "the United States will support the commitment between the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Zambia to develop jointly a supply chain for electric vehicle batteries" and "supports the DRC and Zambia’s goal of building a productive supply chain, from the mine to the assembly line, while also committing to respect international standards to prevent, detect, and take legal action to fight corruption throughout this process."

Biden's 'Blood Battery' Energy Agreement Incentivizes Forced Labor in African Mines

Reactions: AM64
I think there will be solutions for the batteries but it will likely be several generations before it takes hold. And I doubt the fix will be backwards compatible and no telling how long the generations last between fixes.

There's another issue that is so rarely discussed that it's almost unknown. EVs weigh more ... a lot more - like thousands of pounds more than comparable non EVs. The attached article addresses safety. However, the more important point is that the heavier the vehicle the more energy it requires to move it. Think about the fact that (for argument's sake) a fuel tank might hold 20 gal of gas at roughly 6.1 lbs per gallon - that's 122 lbs and diminishing as you drive. You are replacing that with a battery pack weighing 2000 to 3000 pounds - that's a whole lot of excess weight to haul around a lot of weight to accelerate and decelerate. More tire, road, and brake wear - items that don't come without environmental cost.

This is another reason that adding ethanol with a lower energy value than un-watered gas is a dumb move. Less power per pound and poorer fuel mileage to begin with, so you burn more total fuel to go the same distance you would have without ethanol. There's too little reasoning behind a lot of the "science" that goes into environmental dreams.

EV mass is a serious safety issue, says NTSB chair

You've also got the weight of the combustion engine so in the end, I don't think there's a big difference.

The Tesla Y weighs 4555 lbs

My Buick Cascada convertible weighs 4000 lbs

You see a lot of these huge 4 door pickup trucks out now. Some of those weigh close to 6K lbs

You've also got the weight of the combustion engine so in the end, I don't think there's a big difference.

The Tesla Y weighs 4555 lbs

My Buick Cascada convertible weighs 4000 lbs

You see a lot of these huge 4 door pickup trucks out now. Some of those weigh close to 6K lbs

That's true because the average car now seems to be an SUV rather than a car. That is probably a reflection on fuel economy standards initially placed on cars, so car companies started selling SUVs based on trucks to avoid the CAFE penalties. Car companies sold bigger more expensive vehicles and people kept their big "cars". It's somewhat covered in the article.

Vehicle weights dropped considerably in the 1980s compared to highs measured in 1975, but since then the average car and truck has increased from 3,200lbs to 4,200lbs.

Still the EVs are grossly overweight compared to non EVs. Google says a V-8 weighs 400-700 pounds; that's significant, but nowhere near the weight of battery packs, and electric motors aren't exactly lightweights. Note the overall increase for an EV version of the same vehicle vs the non-EV. A 30% weight penalty is a big deal.

Additionally, Homendy said the Ford F-150 Lightning "is between 2,000 and 3,000 pounds heavier than the non-electric version. The Mustang Mach-E, Volvo XC40 EV, and RAV4 EV are all roughly 33 percent heavier.

Reactions: Orangeburst
That's true because the average car now seems to be an SUV rather than a car. That is probably a reflection on fuel economy standards initially placed on cars, so car companies started selling SUVs based on trucks to avoid the CAFE penalties. Car companies sold bigger more expensive vehicles and people kept their big "cars". It's somewhat covered in the article.

Still the EVs are grossly overweight compared to non EVs. Google says a V-8 weighs 400-700 pounds; that's significant, but nowhere near the weight of battery packs, and electric motors aren't exactly lightweights. Note the overall increase for an EV version of the same vehicle vs the non-EV. A 30% weight penalty is a big deal.

So theoretically we will need to produce 30% more energy on the grid to offset the loss of energy economies? The energy losses at the power plant and distribution as well. But countered by the energy to transport heavy fuels. Pipelines vs rail, taking fuel to the stations.
Of course all this assumes we had the power stations and grid to support all this.

Boy I would love to see a massive breakdown. We deserve it.

They charge a 10-20$ recycling fee when you buy a battery and don't swap for an old one. Those EV vehicles will be nuts to recycle. Those ev's will be a bigger money pit vs a normal vehicle

So theoretically we will need to produce 30% more energy on the grid to offset the loss of energy economies? The energy losses at the power plant and distribution as well. But countered by the energy to transport heavy fuels. Pipelines vs rail, taking fuel to the stations.
Of course all this assumes we had the power stations and grid to support all this.

Boy I would love to see a massive breakdown. We deserve it.

But wind, solar, wind, solar. That the answer. Ask any dimtard liberal in here

VN Store

Back