Electric Vehicles

Electric Car Manufacturers Remove AM Radios Claiming Safety Concerns

Some electric vehicle (EV) manufacturers are scrapping the AM radio from their cars, claiming safety concerns. Although conservative talk radio dominates AM radio ratings, it is also considered a critical safety tool, as it is one of the primary ways that federal, state, and local officials communicate with the public during natural disasters and other emergencies.

Automakers such as Ford and Tesla have ditched the AM radio from their newer EV models, arguing that the motors on EVs interfere with AM frequencies, creating buzzing and signal fading, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal.
https://media.breitbart.com/media/2022/06/Ford-CEO-Jim-Farley.jpg

Agree 100%. I view mine like a go-cart for grown ups. We have another vehicle for vacations/ long distance travel, I drive 11 miles each way to work and back, and I like to go fast and have fun. I will have to adjust to not having the Jeep to throw junk in the back and not care, but I will probably get an older truck at some point once the market corrects.
I saw a tesla pulling a camper in Atlanta.

To summarize my decision:

"What's the fastest I can go, with relative comfort and a good warranty, able to carry 3 other people, for around $50k or less?"

The gas savings is a nice bonus.

The way I see it, the carbon footprint is probably a push.
I saw a study the other day that for many areas of the country now, the extra electricity bill is surpassing what people were paying for gasoline. Sorry i forgot to bookmark it

Reactions: GroverCleveland
To summarize my decision:

"What's the fastest I can go, with relative comfort and a good warranty, able to carry 3 other people, for around $50k or less?"

The gas savings is a nice bonus.

The way I see it, the carbon footprint is probably a push.

Yeah...and cranking TOOL while smoking anything not a $200k supercar (and a good bit of those, too) from stoplight to stoplight for $50k does sound awesome. Enjoy bro.

Understood. We also have a 10.6 kWh system with battery, so the vast majority of its fuel comes from the sun. Makes a lot of sense for our needs. But I'd be lying if I said it had nothing to do with it being a sweet looking first generation EV truck with hella cool features. It's about more than simple transportation for sure.

If i remember correctly your truck makes over 800hp and lb/ft also...and much like Doc's Tesla runs zero to 60 in about 3 seconds flat with 4wd....but is like a high end BMW or Lexus inside. Nice truck

Yeah...and cranking TOOL while smoking anything not a $200k supercar (and a good bit of those, too) from stoplight to stoplight for $50k does sound awesome. Enjoy bro.

If i remember correctly your truck makes over 800hp and lb/ft also...and much like Doc's Tesla runs zero to 60 in about 3 seconds flat with 4wd....but is like a high end BMW or Lexus inside. Nice truck

I know it isn't a cool sportscar. But with 1 in college, 1 close, season ticket prices, and current gas/grocery/IRA/crypto/office supply and staff cost situations, I figured it was a good, fun decision. R8, 911, or M4 Comp wasn't in the budget, LOL.

Some electric vehicle (EV) manufacturers are scrapping the AM radio from their cars, claiming safety concerns. Although conservative talk radio dominates AM radio ratings, it is also considered a critical safety tool, as it is one of the primary ways that federal, state, and local officials communicate with the public during natural disasters and other emergencies.

Automakers such as Ford and Tesla have ditched the AM radio from their newer EV models, arguing that the motors on EVs interfere with AM frequencies, creating buzzing and signal fading, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal.

It's my understanding that you can get most of the AM stations via HD radio, which is available on EVs like Tesla.

Reactions: TOUCHDOWN!!TN
I'm curious, how many people on this thread, 1) own a EV, 2) have driven an EV 3) have ridden in an EV for a trip of say a 100 miles. Basically, what is your experience level with EVs

Mine: I own a Tesla Model Y, I have had it since November, I routinely take it on day trips to Portland that average around 250 miles of driving. Mostly I drive it locally, shopping, golf course, you know the necessary daily activities. I do have a trailer hitch that will be used for a bike rack once the weather is a bit nicer.

I'm curious, how many people on this thread, 1) own a EV, 2) have driven an EV 3) have ridden in an EV for a trip of say a 100 miles. Basically, what is your experience level with EVs

Mine: I own a Tesla Model Y, I have had it since November, I routinely take it on day trips to Portland that average around 250 miles of driving. Mostly I drive it locally, shopping, golf course, you know the necessary daily activities. I do have a trailer hitch that will be used for a bike rack once the weather is a bit nicer.

My wife has a Model Y. We really like it. Best car purchasing experience I’ve ever had, it’s fun to drive, and we enjoy the gas savings. We drove it round trip from Knoxville to Miami to go on a cruise and it was just fine with two kids. Admittedly, if I was driving by myself on a road trip I would get annoyed at the charge times, but it’s a nice break when traveling with children.

This thread is mainly just bashing the perceived government agenda to push us all to drive electric cars, and pointing out every hypocrisy against EV’s. It’s kinda deserved- I never looked at EV’s as the end-all cure for the environment like some people do. I get a kick out of this thread.

Reactions: GoDucks349
My wife has a Model Y. We really like it. Best car purchasing experience I’ve ever had, it’s fun to drive, and we enjoy the gas savings. We drove it round trip from Knoxville to Miami to go on a cruise and it was just fine with two kids. Admittedly, if I was driving by myself on a road trip I would get annoyed at the charge times, but it’s a nice break when traveling with children.

This thread is mainly just bashing the perceived government agenda to push us all to drive electric cars, and pointing out every hypocrisy against EV’s. It’s kinda deserved- I never looked at EV’s as the end-all cure for the environment like some people do. I get a kick out of this thread.

How long did it take you to drive with recharging?

Reactions: GroverCleveland

We are thinking about getting a Mercedes EQE as a second car to replace our E300. Then we'd be fully EV. We haven't made up our minds yet, probably be down the road a couple months before we decide. Haven't bought a tank of gas this year, might top off the Mercedes before family visits in late April.

We are thinking about getting a Mercedes EQE as a second car to replace our E300. Then we'd be fully EV. We haven't made up our minds yet, probably be down the road a couple months before we decide. Haven't bought a tank of gas this year, might top off the Mercedes before family visits in late April.
How much longer before the government finds a way to make up for lost fuel tax revenue?

This isn’t a criticism of your decision to buy an EV. But you have to know that a mileage tax is in your future.

How much longer before the government finds a way to make up for lost fuel tax revenue?

This isn’t a criticism of your decision to buy an EV. But you have to know that a mileage tax is in your future.

I believe in Oregon they have increased registration fees or they are going to increase them. It's not something I'm worried about, I don't mind paying my fair share to maintain the roads. FYI: I think in Oregon the gas tax is 38 cents per gallon.

VN Store

Back