Electric Vehicles

My wife has a Model Y. We really like it. Best car purchasing experience I’ve ever had, it’s fun to drive, and we enjoy the gas savings. We drove it round trip from Knoxville to Miami to go on a cruise and it was just fine with two kids. Admittedly, if I was driving by myself on a road trip I would get annoyed at the charge times, but it’s a nice break when traveling with children.

This thread is mainly just bashing the perceived government agenda to push us all to drive electric cars, and pointing out every hypocrisy against EV’s. It’s kinda deserved- I never looked at EV’s as the end-all cure for the environment like some people do. I get a kick out of this thread.
Step sister and her husband bought an EV (some Tesla model I think). Cannot make it from Atlanta to Tellico Plains or Atlanta to Cordele where her father lives without a charge. Just not safe in my mind.

Step sister and her husband bought an EV (some Tesla model I think). Cannot make it from Atlanta to Tellico Plains or Atlanta to Cordele where her father lives without a charge. Just not safe in my mind.

Yea but they’re saving the world and in the process showing everyone they can afford a Tesla. Major points.

How long did it take you to drive with recharging?

On the way down, we stopped in savannah overnight and a few longer stops. On the way home, we got in the car at the cruise terminal about 10am and got home in Corryton around 3am. Looooong day. The charging probably added 3-4 hours to that trip.

How much longer before the government finds a way to make up for lost fuel tax revenue?

This isn’t a criticism of your decision to buy an EV. But you have to know that a mileage tax is in your future.

For my TN registration there is a $100 annual fee for the Tesla. This is to make up for gas tax.

It’s just like stopping at a gas station. We go to Asheville for the day all the time. 20 minutes at the supercharger in Asheville and we have more than enough to not worry on the way home.

It’s just like stopping at a gas station. We go to Asheville for the day all the time. 20 minutes at the supercharger in Asheville and we have more than enough to not worry on the way home.
If one ignores chemistry, it is just like stopping at a gas station. The energy density and delivery of said energy into the vehicle are worlds apart. And that fast charge is damaging the batteries. Doubt we will see people bragging they have 200k+ miles on a set of batteries. Well, they might, if they drive no farther than their mailbox.

If one ignores chemistry, it is just like stopping at a gas station. The energy density and delivery of said energy into the vehicle are worlds apart. And that fast charge is damaging the batteries. Doubt we will see people bragging they have 200k+ miles on a set of batteries. Well, they might, if they drive no farther than their mailbox.
I have not received mine yet, so I will report back. As stated earlier in the thread, Tesla warranties 70% battery capacity at 8 years.

I do not think that long-distance travel is really practical in an EV right now. Technology will continue to advance, and there will be shorter charge times in the future. From a sheer volume standpoint, our interstate system isn't even close to being able to handle 50% of travelers being in EVs. That would require massive charging stations every 50 miles or so and major improvements to the electrical grid, especially in rural areas.

I have not received mine yet, so I will report back. As stated earlier in the thread, Tesla warranties 70% battery capacity at 8 years.

I do not think that long-distance travel is really practical in an EV right now. Technology will continue to advance, and there will be shorter charge times in the future. From a sheer volume standpoint, our interstate system isn't even close to being able to handle 50% of travelers being in EVs. That would require massive charging stations every 50 miles or so and major improvements to the electrical grid, especially in rural areas.

Imagine an ICE at 70% hp at eight years. Not being a smart tail about it, it is what it is. I seen information and graphs about the diminishing returns of minerals as high grade ores are depleted and the projected demand because of "green" energy. Enough that I am serious considering buying and warehousing copper electrical cable. However, the flip side of that is the experts have been projecting the complete depletion of crude oil for what, 50 years? And the US just keep finding oil to drill for even when excluding the vast amounts of Federal land that is off limits.

Agree with you about the infrastructure. It isn't there and will take MASSIVE investments to build out and where is the energy going to come from?

My personal problem with EV is just what I referred to by not being safe. There are diminishing returns on charging during a long distance trip, meaning that 2nd, 3rd, ..., supercharge does not last near as long. In ten minutes at a gas pump, I'm at full range again. Not that I expect to have to do so, but if I absolutely have to be somewhere distant as soon as possible, the ICE will get me there long before the EV crawls in. Now I understand that does not concern everyone and that is perfectly fine, but my plans do not include being severely limited. I've always been prepared to go anywhere, anytime on short notice.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
At this time, don't want. Lithium batteries have their benefits, but are too prone to catching fire. We didn't learn what was needed before reverse engineering and applying alien tech. In this case, capitalism, once again, screwed the greedy.
Least that's what Miizan Gissee told me last time I saw it. It? Yeah, the species claim to be non-gender.
1679262472512.png

Last edited:
How long did it take you to drive with recharging?

At a Tesla super charger the estimate is a 15 minute charge gets 200 miles of charge. Haven't done it yet, but even if it was 20 or 30 minutes, it's just a charge while having lunch.

That’s approximately 260 gallons worth of fuel tax. At 35 mpg that’s just over 9000 miles.

$100 isn’t going to be enough of an annual fee.

I’m betting it goes up soon. But your math is off a little- $100 in gas tax buys 384 gallons equivalent, which at your 35 mpg example would get you 13,440 miles. A little more fair than 9k.

Last edited:

I took your comment to mean that having to stop for charging was an inconvenience. You are a pretty rare person if you think about chemistry while pumping your gas. I’m simply stating that it’s no big deal to the average consumer to stop to charge once in a while.

I took your comment to mean that having to stop for charging was an inconvenience. You are a pretty rare person if you think about chemistry while pumping your gas. I’m simply stating that it’s no big deal to the average consumer to stop to charge once in a while.
Gotcha. I would not be able to complain that stopping is an inconvenience personally, as we tend to stop somewhat frequently to top off with gasoline and stretch our legs. From home to south Georgia, we'll stop at least twice.

Gotcha. I would not be able to complain that stopping is an inconvenience personally, as we tend to stop somewhat frequently to top off with gasoline and stretch our legs. From home to south Georgia, we'll stop at least twice.

I hate stopping, if by-myself I try to go tank to tank. If wife is with me I try to make it past a couple exits.

Imagine an ICE at 70% hp at eight years. Not being a smart tail about it, it is what it is. I seen information and graphs about the diminishing returns of minerals as high grade ores are depleted and the projected demand because of "green" energy. Enough that I am serious considering buying and warehousing copper electrical cable. However, the flip side of that is the experts have been projecting the complete depletion of crude oil for what, 50 years? And the US just keep finding oil to drill for even when excluding the vast amounts of Federal land that is off limits.

Agree with you about the infrastructure. It isn't there and will take MASSIVE investments to build out and where is the energy going to come from?

My personal problem with EV is just what I referred to by not being safe. There are diminishing returns on charging during a long distance trip, meaning that 2nd, 3rd, ..., supercharge does not last near as long. In ten minutes at a gas pump, I'm at full range again. Not that I expect to have to do so, but if I absolutely have to be somewhere distant as soon as possible, the ICE will get me there long before the EV crawls in. Now I understand that does not concern everyone and that is perfectly fine, but my plans do not include being severely limited. I've always been prepared to go anywhere, anytime on short notice.
Oh, I would never be without a conventional vehicle in my house. You would be stranded in the case of electrical outage.

Like I said, my motivation was to have as much fun driving as possible on a budget.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
The big problem I have with EV's is that the batteries are built into the chassis of the car, and they only last 10 years or so. IIRC, it costs over 30k to get those replaced. So once your batteries are dead, you might as well buy another car. Gas-powered cars have far greater longevity.

Reactions: InVOLuntary

On the trip back from Miami, after about 9pm the kids were asleep, and we stopped twice to charge. Probably an hour total where I was wishing for just a 5 minute gas stop. The car did fine otherwise, but like others are saying, I would get annoyed on a road trip by myself unless I was intentionally not trying to get to my destination at any given time.

95% of the time my wife commutes to south Knoxville from Corryton and has a full battery every single morning.

Reactions: InVOLuntary

VN Store

Back