Electric Vehicles

Listening a Joe Rogan podcast and his guest, who is all about green/renewable energy where it's reasonable and manageable, said the real dirty little secret of EV's is that "we" will need about 5x to 10x, depending on the metal, the silver, nickel, lithium, etc. than what is currently believed to be available for mining. Additionally, as we all know by now, the charging infrastructure for EVs will be fossil fuel driven for a long time to come. The .gov and all those pushing EVs know all of this as well, but are doubling down on something that is bound to fail unless we find an enormous cache of REMs here in the US.

That wouldn’t work for me. You also have to take into account how range decreases over the life of the batteries, 300 miles new will probably be 200 after 3-4 years.
Yes, degradation is real but it can be mitigated. For example, if you don't always require the full range you shouldn't always charge to full capacity. We do not, so set the charge limit to 85%. Not everyone can, but it extends the battery life and performance.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I don't believe EVs are going anywhere. Infrastructure is key. As that grows so will demand. We took delivery of our R1T last month and absolutely love it. I hope Rivian makes it through as I see a lot of potential. Of course cost must come down, too. But for comparable ICE trucks the Rivian isn't much of an outlier.
holy crap, welcome back gcb

That wouldn’t work for me. You also have to take into account how range decreases over the life of the batteries, 300 miles new will probably be 200 after 3-4 years.
Also are these numbers acquired on flat land tests, hilly and mountainous regions are going to have less range if so.

Another Buttigieg Scandal: Electric Bikes Keep Exploding on His Watch

Fires caused by lithium-ion batteries have Killed 8 and Injured almost 200 in New York City alone

pete-bike-scandal.png

What's happening: The lithium-ion batteries that power electric bikes and scooters keep exploding, starting fires, and killing people.

Another Buttigieg Scandal: Electric Bikes Keep Exploding on His Watch

We probably run about 175 LNG and CNG tractors in just my district and they are descent, the hills are tougher on the mileage and we have to have one towed back every so often.

I’m pretty sure I know who you work for. Brown is one of my favorite colors

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
To summarize my decision:

"What's the fastest I can go, with relative comfort and a good warranty, able to carry 3 other people, for around $50k or less?"

The gas savings is a nice bonus.

The way I see it, the carbon footprint is probably a push.

To summarize my decision:

"What's the fastest I can go, with relative comfort and a good warranty, able to carry 3 other people, for around $50k or less?"

The gas savings is a nice bonus.

The way I see it, the carbon footprint is probably a push.

Please don’t get me wrong, EVs are great vehicles for certain applications but for what I need they will never be useful in my lifetime. Plus I’m absolutely opposed to the .gov pushing them down our throats.

I also feel the same way about guy’s driving $80k 1/2 ton pickups that just them for grocery getters. So I’m an equal opportunity hater.
Understood. We also have a 10.6 kWh system with battery, so the vast majority of its fuel comes from the sun. Makes a lot of sense for our needs. But I'd be lying if I said it had nothing to do with it being a sweet looking first generation EV truck with hella cool features. It's about more than simple transportation for sure.

Please don’t get me wrong, EVs are great vehicles for certain applications but for what I need they will never be useful in my lifetime. Plus I’m absolutely opposed to the .gov pushing them down our throats.
Agree 100%. I view mine like a go-cart for grown ups. We have another vehicle for vacations/ long distance travel, I drive 11 miles each way to work and back, and I like to go fast and have fun. I will have to adjust to not having the Jeep to throw junk in the back and not care, but I will probably get an older truck at some point once the market corrects.

Ford patents self-driving car that Repossesses Itself if the owner fails to keep up with payments – and drives itself back to the showroom or scrapyard

Ford is not taking any chances with owners missing car payments - the company is working on a system that prompts the vehicle to repossess itself.

A newly awarded patent describes a car self-driving back to the showroom or a scrapyard if the owner does not answer messages about their delinquent account.

The American carmaker would start the process by disabling 'comfort features,' playing noises inside the car and limiting where the vehicle can drive.

Ford patents self-driving car that repossesses itself if the owner fails to keep up with payments | Daily Mail Online
So this was the “patent” to return the auto for failure to pay, but will the “gov” use this “feature” to lock the doors and deliver us to the local LEA for questioning, or to the local “work” center?
I think I’ll be looking for something made in the 60’s that doesn’t have any “electronics”

VN Store

Back