Electric Vehicles

I think the typical distance between super chargers along interstate highways is around 150 miles. I do believe that in some areas the gap is closer to 250 miles.

When it's 30 degrees outside do you sit inside your car with the engine running, with the heater turned on, while you are charging your vehicle?

Everything That Drains Your Electric Car Battery

battery-details.jpg

First things first, driving your electric car will always drain the battery. The purpose of any EV battery is to provide power to propel the car along the road. Higher speeds require more energy than lower speeds. Additionally, the general rate at which driving will drain the battery varies based on how much energy you use on other power-sucking items in this list.

How hard you press the pedal greatly impacts your battery range. Higher acceleration requires a significant burst of energy. This surge is especially noticeable in vehicles with a boost button or other quick-power features. Smooth acceleration helps support a longer battery range. If you’re trying to maximize every charge in your EV, go easy on the “go” pedal.

Environmental conditions will cause your battery range to fluctuate, but frigid temperatures can drain your battery significantly faster. It requires more energy to keep your battery running when it’s cold outside, so you’ll likely need to charge your EV more frequently during the winter months.

“Weather-related battery drain can be a serious issue for EV drivers in cold climates,” said Eric Brandt, Senior Editor of Vehicle Reviews at Kelley Blue Book. “A recent study by Recurrent shows that EV range can drop by up to 32% in freezing temperatures. This is important to keep in mind if you need the full range of your EV for it to be usable in everyday driving.”

It also requires more energy to keep the cabin warm during periods of extreme cold. Bumping up the heat for comfort while driving takes more energy from the battery. Similarly, blasting the air conditioner when it’s hot outside cuts the battery range. Controlling the cabin and battery temperature is the biggest power drain second to driving the vehicle.

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/ev-battery-drain/
What about temperatures of 105-110+ on a near constant basis for most of the spring and all of the summer? Regular car batteries only last about 2-3 years in the Phoenix metro area. I'm assuming lithium batteries would be even worse.

Last edited:
When it's 30 degrees outside do you sit inside your car with the engine running, with the heater turned on, while you are charging your vehicle?

No is the simple answer

??? Not sure I understand your question. First I'm assuming you're talking about my EV... it doesn't have an engine. Second, it doesn't get very cold here in the winter. If it is cold and I want to go somewhere, I just open the Tesla app on my iPhone and turn on the heater for the desired temp, heat the steering wheel and turn on the heated seats. It's very nice not having to "go out and warm up the car" like you do a gas vehicle in cold weather. So basically, when I go get in my car it's warm and ready to go. Also, if I was working and had a regular schedule, I'd just put it on the Tesla calendar to have the car up to temp form me at my regular departure time then I wouldn't have to worry about forgetting to heat the car.

Oh, and I haven't noticed any significant drain on the battery charge from cold weather, using the heater, etc. So that's really a non-issue for me.

Also, I'm not going out burning gas to heat the car.

China Dominates EV Market As Biden Pushes To Phase Out Combustion Engine

biden-xi-scaled-e1673546141488.jpg

Chinese electric vehicle (EV) makers continue to grow faster than their European and U.S. competitors in 2023, even as the Biden administration pushes rules that could eventually end the sale of gas-powered vehicles, according to Semafor.

Chinese electric vehicle titan BYD has introduced its vehicles in Germany this year, while Chinese automakers outperformed foreign competitors in their domestic market, Semafor reported. While China continues to dominate both the supply chain for and sales of EVs, President Joe Biden’s Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) introduced its strictest ever proposed set of vehicle emissions rules on April 12, which the agency forecasts would lead to over two-thirds of all vehicles sold after 2032 being all-electric.

China produced roughly 60% of rare earth minerals worldwide, and 60% of the world’s graphite supply, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA). In terms of refining, China processes 60% of all cobalt and lithium worldwide, in addition to 30% of global nickel and copper processing.

biden-xi-scaled-e1673546141488.jpg

Chinese electric vehicle (EV) makers continue to grow faster than their European and U.S. competitors in 2023, even as the Biden administration pushes rules that could eventually end the sale of gas-powered vehicles, according to Semafor.

Chinese electric vehicle titan BYD has introduced its vehicles in Germany this year, while Chinese automakers outperformed foreign competitors in their domestic market, Semafor reported. While China continues to dominate both the supply chain for and sales of EVs, President Joe Biden’s Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) introduced its strictest ever proposed set of vehicle emissions rules on April 12, which the agency forecasts would lead to over two-thirds of all vehicles sold after 2032 being all-electric.

China produced roughly 60% of rare earth minerals worldwide, and 60% of the world’s graphite supply, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA). In terms of refining, China processes 60% of all cobalt and lithium worldwide, in addition to 30% of global nickel and copper processing.

We are being destroyed from withing by traitors....and the massive idiot block in this country will continue to vote these traitors into office. They and their propaganda machines have perfectly created a State of Fear.

And lower middle class folks like me are the ones that are getting raped.

Lithium mining is bad for the environment, but fracking is just as bad if not worse. I'm not challenging your assertion, but natural gas isn't some panacea. Transportation is pretty much all terrible for the environment. Fossil fuels and REE are both finite. We need something new. If we can't crack fusion or identify a new clean, safe energy source our best option is to find a breakthrough in energy storage. That would resolve the major issue with renewables.

Innovation is driven through competition. We need EVs in the market.
Fracking is not...you're brainwashed

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Most people who pay large sums of money for Electric Vehicles are ashamed to admit to the limitations of the Battery, especially in heat and cold, and the lack of charging stations.

They like to tell the lie that the EV is great for the environment, which is simply not true.

California went big on rooftop solar. Now that’s a problem for landfills

Many are already winding up in landfills, where in some cases, they could potentially contaminate groundwater with toxic heavy metals such as lead, selenium and cadmium.

Sam Vanderhoof, a solar industry expert and chief executive of Recycle PV Solar, says that only 1 in 10 panels are actually recycled, according to estimates drawn from International Renewable Energy Agency data on decommissioned panels and from industry leaders.

The looming challenge over how to handle truckloads of waste, some of it contaminated, illustrates how cutting-edge environmental policy can create unforeseen problems down the road.

California went big on rooftop solar. Now that's a problem for landfills

Just imagine the environmental catastrophe awaiting when the EV batteries wear out.

Reactions: Silence Dogood
Of course, when that battery has to be replaced, good luck with that. All of a sudden, your "cheap to own" car just got MUCH more expensive.
Yeah man, I understand the concern. I certainly don't think I will own it after 150,000+ miles, as I've never held on to a car that long. The warranty on battery life offered by Tesla is pretty solid.

Please don't mistake me for a "EVs for Everyone" advocate. I'll post honest opinions once I get mine next week. The only things I know for sure is that it is going to be fun and I don't have to buy gas.

Reactions: GoDucks349 and AM64
Yeah man, I understand the concern. I certainly don't think I will own it after 150,000+ miles, as I've never held on to a car that long. The warranty on battery life offered by Tesla is pretty solid.

Please don't mistake me for a "EVs for Everyone" advocate. I'll post honest opinions once I get mine next week. The only things I know for sure is that it is going to be fun and I don't have to buy gas.

I wouldn't buy a Tesla with 100,000 miles on it, same as I wouldn't buy a truck with 100,000 miles on it. But everyone's budget and situation is different. I think people are really really desperate to naysay EV's to point where it's funny. I would wager the majority of people buying Teslas now are average consumers, not people assuming they are saving the planet and better than those with ICE vehicles.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
A Tesla was in a junkyard for three weeks. Then it burst into flames.

A white Tesla Model S was sitting in a Rancho Cordova, Calif., wrecking yard earlier this month — having been severely damaged in a collision three weeks earlier — when it suddenly erupted in flames.

When firefighters arrived, the electric car was engulfed, according to the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District. Every time the blaze was momentarily extinguished, the car’s battery compartment reignited, the fire department wrote in an Instagram post. Firefighters and wrecking yard workers tried turning the car on its side to aim water directly onto the battery pack. But “the vehicle would still re-ignite due to the residual heat,” the department wrote.

So they tried something else: They used a tractor to create a pit in the dirt, managed to get the car inside, then filled the hole with water. That allowed the firefighters to submerge the battery pack and ultimately extinguish the fire, which burned hotter than 3,000 degrees, Capt. Parker Wilbourn, a fire department spokesman, told The Washington Post.

All told, it took more than an hour and 4,500 gallons of water for the dozen firefighters to extinguish the blaze, Wilbourn said — about the same amount of water used to put out a building fire.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/22/tesla-fire-sacramento/

I would wager the majority of people buying Teslas now are average consumers, not people assuming they are saving the planet and better than those with ICE vehicles.
I'm way beyond the point of wanting to be "better than" anyone else. Those days are long gone. I just want to be faster than them.

Oh, and save on gas money so I have extra for guns and ammo.

I have to admit a bit of envy about refilling at night while you sleep.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
A Tesla was in a junkyard for three weeks. Then it burst into flames.

A white Tesla Model S was sitting in a Rancho Cordova, Calif., wrecking yard earlier this month — having been severely damaged in a collision three weeks earlier — when it suddenly erupted in flames.

When firefighters arrived, the electric car was engulfed, according to the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District. Every time the blaze was momentarily extinguished, the car’s battery compartment reignited, the fire department wrote in an Instagram post. Firefighters and wrecking yard workers tried turning the car on its side to aim water directly onto the battery pack. But “the vehicle would still re-ignite due to the residual heat,” the department wrote.

So they tried something else: They used a tractor to create a pit in the dirt, managed to get the car inside, then filled the hole with water. That allowed the firefighters to submerge the battery pack and ultimately extinguish the fire, which burned hotter than 3,000 degrees, Capt. Parker Wilbourn, a fire department spokesman, told The Washington Post.

All told, it took more than an hour and 4,500 gallons of water for the dozen firefighters to extinguish the blaze, Wilbourn said — about the same amount of water used to put out a building fire.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/22/tesla-fire-sacramento/

Probably should have added garlic to the water, driven a stake through its battery, and put a cross above the grave to make sure it stayed dead this time..

I wouldn't buy a Tesla with 100,000 miles on it, same as I wouldn't buy a truck with 100,000 miles on it. But everyone's budget and situation is different. I think people are really really desperate to naysay EV's to point where it's funny. I would wager the majority of people buying Teslas now are average consumers, not people assuming they are saving the planet and better than those with ICE vehicles.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
Residents erupt as Michigan Democrats approve funding for Chinese-backed green energy project: 'I'm angry'

'We are tired of being abused,' one resident told the state lawmakers

Michigan residents blasted Democratic state lawmakers during a public hearing Thursday where public funding was later approved to facilitate the construction of a Chinese-backed project.

During the Michigan state Senate Appropriations Committee hearing, lawmakers led by Democratic state Sen. Sarah Anthony, the panel's chair, gave final approval of $175 million in taxpayer funding for Gotion — a subsidiary of the Hefei, China-based Gotion High-Tech — to build an electric vehicle (EV) battery plant in Big Rapids. The measure passed in a tight 10-9 vote with every committee Republican and three Democrats voting against it.

Residents erupt as Michigan Democrats approve funding for Chinese-backed green energy project: 'I'm angry'

Reactions: Silence Dogood
I gave heard that some localities will "urge" EV owners not to charge their vehicles at night. People coming home from work and running their washers and dryers, etc.

Well, KUB is starting to play with surge pricing during certain “high usage” hours. With this in mind we schedule our charging for after 10pm. I haven’t heard if they will keep this model going forward.

VN Store

Back