Electric Vehicles

Have read that Electric vehicles will not have AM radios. AM radio is where all of the conservative talk shows are located.
Weird. I have never listened to a.m. radio. Bluetooth, Spotify, and Sirius XM work fine. The tech integration is very well done, there is just a bit of a learning curve if used to Android Auto or Apple Car Play. It's actually cool because it doesn't interrupt the nav and driver assists to do most things.

Weird. I have never listened to a.m. radio. Bluetooth, Spotify, and Sirius XM work fine. The tech integration is very well done, there is just a bit of a learning curve if used to Android Auto or Apple Car Play. It's actually cool because it doesn't interrupt the nav and driver assists to do most things.
How is it driving in silence ie no motor noise?

How many kilowatt hours of electricity does it take to charge your electric vehicle?

China Laments Chile Nationalizing Key Green Energy Mineral Lithium, Freezing Beijing Out

China’s state-run Global Times on Monday filed a gloomy report on Chile’s plans to nationalize its lithium industry, which would freeze Beijing out of exploiting the vital “green energy” mineral.

The editors vacillated between warning Chile that it courts disaster, and huffing that China does not really need Chile’s lithium output.

Chile’s left-wing President Gabriel Boric gave a televised address last Thursday to announce that a state-owned company would take control of all lithium production, ostensibly because it would be better able to implement revolutionary new filtration technologies.

Chile is currently the world’s second-largest producer of lithium, which is essential for producing electric vehicle batteries. Australia is the top producer, but Chile has much larger reserves waiting to be tapped.

Existing lithium production techniques rely on extracting the metal by pumping mineral-rich brine from deep underground and pouring it into huge evaporation ponds. Evaporation is slow, relatively inefficient, and creates undesirable gas byproducts.

China Laments Chile Nationalizing Key Green Energy Mineral Lithium, Freezing Beijing Out

Reactions: AM64
How is it driving in silence ie no motor noise?
Well, it is different but very smooth and can be relaxing. That being said, I pretty much always drive with music, a podcast, or a language lesson playing, and the ride is a heck of a lot less intrusive than the Jeep was. The Bluetooth phone speaker and mic is crystal clear (the crappy Jeep one drove my wife crazy).

Unless I'm just driving around town, I generally use Android Auto ... normally Waze not because I really need if for directions, but Waze has pretty good warnings about road conditions.

Reactions: InVOLuntary

China’s state-run Global Times on Monday filed a gloomy report on Chile’s plans to nationalize its lithium industry, which would freeze Beijing out of exploiting the vital “green energy” mineral.

The editors vacillated between warning Chile that it courts disaster, and huffing that China does not really need Chile’s lithium output.

Chile’s left-wing President Gabriel Boric gave a televised address last Thursday to announce that a state-owned company would take control of all lithium production, ostensibly because it would be better able to implement revolutionary new filtration technologies.

Chile is currently the world’s second-largest producer of lithium, which is essential for producing electric vehicle batteries. Australia is the top producer, but Chile has much larger reserves waiting to be tapped.

Existing lithium production techniques rely on extracting the metal by pumping mineral-rich brine from deep underground and pouring it into huge evaporation ponds. Evaporation is slow, relatively inefficient, and creates undesirable gas byproducts.

A lot of countries should be freezing China out of their natural resources and agriculture ... any kind of real estate when you get right down to it. I wouldn't want to see us nationalizing anything, but I'd sure like to see us getting smarter about keeping China's dirty hands off our resources and property.

No is the simple answer

??? Not sure I understand your question. First I'm assuming you're talking about my EV... it doesn't have an engine. Second, it doesn't get very cold here in the winter. If it is cold and I want to go somewhere, I just open the Tesla app on my iPhone and turn on the heater for the desired temp, heat the steering wheel and turn on the heated seats. It's very nice not having to "go out and warm up the car" like you do a gas vehicle in cold weather. So basically, when I go get in my car it's warm and ready to go. Also, if I was working and had a regular schedule, I'd just put it on the Tesla calendar to have the car up to temp form me at my regular departure time then I wouldn't have to worry about forgetting to heat the car.

Oh, and I haven't noticed any significant drain on the battery charge from cold weather, using the heater, etc. So that's really a non-issue for me.

Also, I'm not going out burning gas to heat the car.
I can do that in both my Chevy's. I could in my F-150 as well. And my Elantra(s).

That's not an EV only tech lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: InVOLuntary
Well, it is different but very smooth and can be relaxing. That being said, I pretty much always drive with music, a podcast, or a language lesson playing, and the ride is a heck of a lot less intrusive than the Jeep was. The Bluetooth phone speaker and mic is crystal clear (the crappy Jeep one drove my wife crazy).
Literally any other vehicle is (other than a HMMWV).

Reactions: AM64 and kiddiedoc
Took two of my good buds from our men's group/Bible study on a ride last night. Their two biggest takeaways were that it was much roomier and more comfortable than they expected and that it (at least) felt like the fastest thing they had ever been in.

Oh, and I finally learned how to open the glove box ... maybe I should watch the videos, after all. LOL

Took two of my good buds from our men's group/Bible study on a ride last night. Their two biggest takeaways were that it was much roomier and more comfortable than they expected and that it (at least) felt like the fastest thing they had ever been in.

Oh, and I finally learned how to open the glove box ... maybe I should watch the videos, after all. LOL

Glovebox is kind of annoying. On that same token, the frunk is super convenient but I always forget that it’s there.

Reactions: GoDucks349
Glovebox is kind of annoying. On that same token, the frunk is super convenient but I always forget that it’s there.

Friend has an F-150 lightning, went for a ride to the store with him. Putting stuff in the frunk and a guy walks up and says something about Fords breaking down and the look on his face was priceless when he saw there was groceries under the hood.

newman-and-kramer-stashed-a-pizza-sized-brie-under-jerrys-v0-myi05fu659f81.jpg

Reactions: KptVFL
Biden Admin Taps Ford's Top Electric Vehicle Lobbyist as Energy Department Adviser

Auto giant's head of government affairs has defended partnership with Chinese battery maker

Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm has a new adviser: Ford's top electric vehicle lobbyist, who has defended the auto giant's use of taxpayer funds to build batteries with Chinese technology.

Smith's inclusion on the board comes as Ford attempts to fend off congressional scrutiny of its partnership with a Chinese battery maker. The company in February announced its plan to open a multibillion-dollar battery factory in Michigan alongside Chinese manufacturer Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., Limited (CATL), which will provide technology, equipment, and workers to help build and run the factory. Ford says it will use the factory to receive lucrative subsidies and tax breaks under President Joe Biden's so-called Inflation Reduction Act, despite provisions in the massive climate package aimed at preventing China from receiving funds.

Biden Admin Taps Ford's Top Electric Vehicle Lobbyist as Energy Department Adviser

Auto giant's head of government affairs has defended partnership with Chinese battery maker

Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm has a new adviser: Ford's top electric vehicle lobbyist, who has defended the auto giant's use of taxpayer funds to build batteries with Chinese technology.

Smith's inclusion on the board comes as Ford attempts to fend off congressional scrutiny of its partnership with a Chinese battery maker. The company in February announced its plan to open a multibillion-dollar battery factory in Michigan alongside Chinese manufacturer Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., Limited (CATL), which will provide technology, equipment, and workers to help build and run the factory. Ford says it will use the factory to receive lucrative subsidies and tax breaks under President Joe Biden's so-called Inflation Reduction Act, despite provisions in the massive climate package aimed at preventing China from receiving funds.

Just saw where a bunch of F-150 lightnings spontaneously combusted.

Tesla market value plummets $143 BILLION in just 26 days after poor EV sales caused Elon Musk to slash car prices seven times this year

Tesla has lost $143 billion in market value in the last 26 days as Elon Musk has announced aggressive price cuts and failed to hit predicted first-quarter delivery rates.

The company has cut prices seven times this year, with the latest being the Model Y that is now cheaper than the average US vehicle - it now costs $46,990, $759 less than the typical car or truck.

And the previous cut was the $62,990 Model 3, which saw a $22,000 decrease.

Tesla market value plummets $143 BILLION in just 26 days after poor EV sales | Daily Mail Online

Tesla market value plummets $143 BILLION in just 26 days after poor EV sales caused Elon Musk to slash car prices seven times this year

Tesla has lost $143 billion in market value in the last 26 days as Elon Musk has announced aggressive price cuts and failed to hit predicted first-quarter delivery rates.

The company has cut prices seven times this year, with the latest being the Model Y that is now cheaper than the average US vehicle - it now costs $46,990, $759 less than the typical car or truck.

Tesla market value plummets $143 BILLION in just 26 days after poor EV sales | Daily Mail Online

What’s really sad is the average US vehicle is $50k

Don't worry too much about day to day market value, nor think that Tesla's value today is reflective of future EV value (Tesla stock plummeted earlier this year simply because Elon got involved with Twitter) - Tesla is selling 100k's of units. We have an EV in the family, and it's wonderful for local-area travel.

Look up Gilbert & Barker Self Measuring Gas Pump and Gulf's first drive-in gas station (Pitt PA) -- i.e. more and more charging stations will come on line just as what happened in the early 1900's (imagine planning to drive county-to-county back then).

Silverado will be EV in '24 and there's a great looking Equinox releasing soon. Quality China EV's will likely be hitting the US market within 24 months / sooner (?).

It won’t matter anyways when everything goes to electric, and China EMP’s us. It’ll all be over anyways.

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back