Electric Vehicles

You’re doing this wrong. You are supposed to see the error in your ways for purchasing an EV.
Oh, I know that everyone has strong feelings one way or the other. Doesn't bother me a bit. I have no doubt that the traditional auto industry is probably pushing this crazy narrative that EVs all catch on fire and burn down your house. The same number of people I know have experienced EV fires as have experienced negative CV19 outcomes as young/middle aged healthy adults.

There's no way in hell that the country/ electrical infrastructure is ready for 50% EVs. They are definitely not right for certain types of driving. The government has no business mandating anything. However, mine is super fun, blazing fast, comfortable, relatively affordable, and will save me tons in gas money.

Oh, I know that everyone has strong feelings one way or the other. Doesn't bother me a bit. I have no doubt that the traditional auto industry is probably pushing this crazy narrative that EVs all catch on fire and burn down your house. The same number of people I know have experienced EV fires as have experienced negative CV19 outcomes as young/middle aged healthy adults.

There's no way in hell that the country/ electrical infrastructure is ready for 50% EVs. They are definitely not right for certain types of driving. The government has no business mandating anything. However, mine is super fun, blazing fast, comfortable, relatively affordable, and will save me tons in gas money.

You don't buy gasoline, but you pay to charge your vehicle with electricity. Can you calculate your net savings?

So how much does it cost to charge a non-Tesla at a pay station using non-green energy to charge the battery ?? Real question.

As far as quality of build, I doubt being an EV makes it better built. I'd hate to be seated in one when it goes up like a Cambodian Monk.

I don't mean to say better build overall (EV vs ICE). As for BYD, they are vertically integrated (they make practically all parts in-house, excluding rubber tires and glass windshields -- I'm not promoting BYD, but simply to show that they are a large, global auto mfr, producing some nice autos at reasonable prices).

I actually do not have experience with the pay stations and their rates (the EV in my family is charged at home).

Ford cuts price of the Mustang Mach-E again

Ford is once again cutting the price of its electric SUV, the Mustang Mach-E, as it ramps up its price war with Tesla.

Tesla, the leader in EV sales by a large margin, has cut prices six times so far this year. Its price cuts have eaten into its industry-leading profit margins and added pressure to its stock price.

Tesla’s profit margins have been falling, because it sells only EVs. But Ford still gets the overwhelming majority of its sales from its profitable sales of gasoline powered cars and trucks. So it was able to report improved results even with the EV price cuts announced earlier.

Ford is still losing money on its EV sales. It said Tuesday it expects to lose about $3 billion before taxes, interest and depreciation from its electric vehicle division during the year, but that’s the same guidance it gave when it met with investors in March and broke out the results for that segment for the first time. It lost $722 million on that basis from EVs in the first quarter.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/02/business/ford-mach-e-price-cut/index.html

Ford cuts price of the Mustang Mach-E again

Ford is once again cutting the price of its electric SUV, the Mustang Mach-E, as it ramps up its price war with Tesla.

Tesla, the leader in EV sales by a large margin, has cut prices six times so far this year. Its price cuts have eaten into its industry-leading profit margins and added pressure to its stock price.

Tesla’s profit margins have been falling, because it sells only EVs. But Ford still gets the overwhelming majority of its sales from its profitable sales of gasoline powered cars and trucks. So it was able to report improved results even with the EV price cuts announced earlier.

Ford is still losing money on its EV sales. It said Tuesday it expects to lose about $3 billion before taxes, interest and depreciation from its electric vehicle division during the year, but that’s the same guidance it gave when it met with investors in March and broke out the results for that segment for the first time. It lost $722 million on that basis from EVs in the first quarter.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/02/business/ford-mach-e-price-cut/index.html
This is hilarious, the big three were all onboard with ditching sedans, and getting on the EV "bus" because they thought it would lead to per vehicle profit levels above those for SUV's and trucks..... surprise! Had they done their marketing (unbiased) research they'd have seen the EV is still in the early adopter phase and they've created a supply glut at the prices they thought they could command. Supposeedly, the actual cost to manufacture an EV is less than an ICE so there's still money to be made but the daddy Warbucks profits won't be there.

Reactions: AM64
This is hilarious, the big three were all onboard with ditching sedans, and getting on the EV "bus" because they thought it would lead to per vehicle profit levels above those for SUV's and trucks..... surprise! Had they done their marketing (unbiased) research they'd have seen the EV is still in the early adopter phase and they've created a supply glut at the prices they thought they could command. Supposeedly, the actual cost to manufacture an EV is less than an ICE so there's still money to be made but the daddy Warbucks profits won't be there.

I doubt they planned to make a profit on EVs for awhile. But can't let everyone else have their brands corner that market 6 years from now.

You don't buy gasoline, but you pay to charge your vehicle with electricity. Can you calculate your net savings?
Yes. The app and car actually track all your battery usage and charging stats. If your local electricity cost is not already uploaded, you can look it up and manually enter it. LCUB is currently $0.09 per kWh.

When I did my calculations before buying, it looked like I would save at least $2000/y.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I just looked and I've spent $14 charging in 11 days, but that includes a more expensive initial charge at the dealer on delivery (which I obviously didn't have to pay for). I have been doing more driving than my usual.

You just cant beat the amount of room for hauling stuff. I like the bottom storage area in the trunk. Yea I keep forgetting about the frunk area.
Have a quick question I have been wondering. I know that gas stations in Oregon don't have self service pumps. Do the electrical charging stations require an attendant as well? Thanks just a dumb question I thought of.

With Ford making a massive investment on the West end of this state for their EV truck I assume they know the future market. But I guess I just don’t see it.

The pricing on them are super high last I looked. Maybe they are thinking fleet vehicles.

Any thoughts?

With Ford making a massive investment on the West end of this state for their EV truck I assume they know the future market. But I guess I just don’t see it.

The pricing on them are super high last I looked. Maybe they are thinking fleet vehicles.

Any thoughts?

They are thinking $5-7 gallon gas with President Kamala....

If it's in good condition, that's an incredible price. Just got my son a '15.

Higher mileage (80K + miles) and a couple cosmetic dings (stained seats, broken center console) but knock on wood, in good mechanical shape (per my mechanic)...

Have an 11 Silverado that was getting up there in miles and that guzzles gas...

Higher mileage (80K + miles) and a couple cosmetic dings (stained seats, broken center console) but knock on wood, in good mechanical shape (per my mechanic)...

Have an 11 Silverado that was getting up there in miles and that guzzles gas...
Ours is 100k but the interior is unbelievably perfect. I spent 3 hours last night polishing oxidation from the spoiler and headlights, got it looking pretty darn good. Just a few paint chips I still need to do.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
DOE Set To Award $200M Grant to Battery Maker Run by Chinese 'Talent Program' Recruit

FBI warns that Chinese use talent recruitment programs for economic espionage, theft of trade secrets

The founder of a lithium battery company poised to receive a $200 million grant from the Biden administration was once brought to China through a Chinese Communist Party program that the FBI warns is used for economic espionage.

The founder and chief executive officer of Microvast, Wu Yang, in 2000 was recruited to move back to China from the United States as part of a Chinese government-sponsored "talent program." The grant to Microvast could conflict with the stated policy of the Department of Energy, which plans to boost the company with the massive green energy grant. A DOE official said in February that the department is "prohibited" from funding people who are involved in foreign talent programs.

DOE Set To Award $200M Grant to Battery Maker Run by Chinese 'Talent Program' Recruit

So today while driving, I was thinking about @kiddiedoc's love of acceleration and pimping out the new car. I can see at some point where quiet acceleration just might not suffice, and therefore, the need to electronically recreate real exhaust sounds. Imagine having the first Tesla ticketed for loud mufflers.

Have a quick question I have been wondering. I know that gas stations in Oregon don't have self service pumps. Do the electrical charging stations require an attendant as well? Thanks just a dumb question I thought of.

You know a left coast state is hypocritical enough to require an attendant at a gas pump, but allow just anybody to fill an electric car ... and call it a "feature".

So today while driving, I was thinking about @kiddiedoc's love of acceleration and pimping out the new car. I can see at some point where quiet acceleration just might not suffice, and therefore, the need to electronically recreate real exhaust sounds. Imagine having the first Tesla ticketed for loud mufflers.
My buddy brought his Z06 to meet me at the golf course yesterday evening. I have to admit I got a little jelly when he fired her up. That's a mean-sounding engine.

VN Store

Back