Eric Berry running thru the T discussion (merged)

As much as I would want to join the standing O for EB (probably around 5 minutes long) against Vandy, I agree that it is a Senior tradition. Besides, if Lane knows it is his last game and we are up big in the 4th quarter, he'll call a TO and let the crowd show their appreciation.

Not for me or you to decide. I think he deserves the honor, but it's only the seniors who can make that judgement for sure. If our seniors are ok with it than so am I

Maybe he will read this. EB, get an insurance policy and come back and play another year under the Kiff. Peyton did this and things have worked out pretty good for him. It is a year that one in a billion get a shot at. Don't pass it up.

If you allow a single non-senior the honor, regardless of their standing among the teams or the fans, you start down a very slippery slope...

Its a tradition of honoring our seniors. We don't (or haven't) honored folks leaving for the draft early; the NFL does.

I believe they have to rework the NFL collective bargaining agreement next year, and I've heard that one of the changes will be a set salary scale for NFL first round picks (like the NBA has). If that's the case, the April 2010 draft would be his last chance to sign a huge contract as a top 5 pick. After seeing what happened to Sam Bradford this year, I almost hope for his own sake that he goes - he's earned it

(Although as a Vols fan I'd really hate to see him go)

Senior day is for seniors period! They deserve the honor. We don't need to start an "I'm leaving early for the NFL draft" day.

Maybe he will read this. EB, get an insurance policy and come back and play another year under the Kiff. Peyton did this and things have worked out pretty good for him. It is a year that one in a billion get a shot at. Don't pass it up.

But Peyton played QB...it's easier to protect yourself as a QB and avoid hits...Berry's job is to hit.

I think if the team views him as a "senior" i.e. "knows it is his last game at Neyland ever" then they would want him to have that honor.

As a college senior, I feel like he shouldn't run through the senior "T". Would they object to it if it came up? Doubtful.Do they and the volnation respect what Berry has done for a program and feel like he needs to be honored and remembered for it? Absolutely. Just not on senior day. Perhaps when he comes back like most great vols. I witnessed his dad and Majors be honored this year at UCLA. Just because he doesn't run through the "T" on senior day doesn't mean he wont be remembered and isn't respected. However, senior day celebrations are for seniors I feel. JMO

Senior day is for seniors period! They deserve the honor. We don't need to start an "I'm leaving early for the NFL draft" day.

It just feels like we are derpriving him of an honor only because he has been such an amazing player for us that he is guaranteed to be a top 5 pick.

I understand it is technically for Senior day, but the main idea is for a player when he knows it is his last home game of his career, who has given his all for Tennessee during his college days, to have an opportunity to have the fans send him off in style.

Now if Kiff had a plan to call a Time-out and have Berry trot off alone, I think a few fans would notice and give a cheer. But it's not like basketball where it is obvious that the game is ending and that said player won't be coming back in...(you don't announce the subs in a football game over the loud speaker.)

As much as I love Eric Berry, it's for seniors only....
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I assume that you guys who want to let him run through the T would like to just go ahead and retire his jersey on the spot, too.

It wouldn't surprise me if Kiffin let him go ahead and do it if he wants, but it should be an honor for seniors only. I would only let guys who are one semester's worth of credits away from graduating do it.

I agree with most posters that it should only be seniors (as far as class work is concerned). The only exception would be if someone was going pro who was a redshirt junior or had/will completed their degree. An example, although it is not football was Candace Parker a couple of years ago. Junior by playing eligibility, but did Senior Night festivities because she was earning her degree.

Absolutely not. I love the guy, but that is an honor reserved for seniors.

Heck, being elected captain is normally for seniors but he has that role. I think the seniors would support it.

If you start letting favorite juniors run through the T like the seniors on senior day, where do you stop? Should every junior who declares for the draft be allowed? Do they have to declare before the Vandy game now in order to get the honor? It gets complicated, and doing this distorts the decision making process for the star players.

If they really want to get treated like a senior, they should play 4 years. It's much easier that way.

Even though this team would probably let him I don't think he should. Afterall when you leave early you have to give some things like that up as well.

VN Store

Back