ESPN article: Rick Barnes proving to be the right choice for Tennessee

Cuonzo's success this year is impressive.

Last year before Cuonzo, Missouri's record was:

8-24 overall, 2-16 in conference.

Cuonzo this year:

16-8 overall, 6-5 in conference including 3 road wins.

His one year turnaround is amazing.

Obviously Cuonzo continues to develop his coaching skills.

Barnes has done well over three years but Cuonzo is getting it done much quicker.

Cuonzo leaves messes behind though. I haven't looked up Missouri Valley State Tech Directional's year after he left, but TN's Donnie Year wasn't good and Cal is a disaster.

Barnes has done well over three years but Cuonzo is getting it done much quicker.

If you wanna see what happens when he's been at your program for 3 years check out the California Bears. They picked up their first win of 2018 just 4 days ago.

Reactions: 1 person
He's got 3 guys in the top 100. We have 1 if we are counting Pons as top 100 which I do because he's ranked on 247 and Rivals gave a 4* but didn't give him a number.

And Purdue has got more top 150 guys than us.

He's got 3 seniors that are top 150. It's a good example of what Barnes is probably wanting to do. Painter has recruited a little better than Barnes you have to admit. Barnes though seems to be upping his sights just a little as well.

Purdue is probably as close as a blueprint as you'll find.

Agree with it all, and if nobody knew this example then a year ago you likely would’ve said you gotta have more than just 2 Top 100 guys and that Top 150 wouldn’t cut it, but we have Purdue proving that wrong...who’s to say Barnes doesn’t prove you can go even a step further than Purdue? That’s all I’m saying.

I’m not suggesting we don’t recruit anyone inside the Top 100, I just don’t think a guy ranked 99 is the difference in taking this program to the next level verse a guy ranked 135.

I don't think it's literally the only way. I just think it gives you a far, FAR, better chance and history has shown us that over and over and over and over again. You can't treat them as equally valid approaches when objective data shows us they are not. You can skin a cat with a knife or a spoon, but the knife is going to win the race 9.9/10 times.

Also fwiw both Butler team's had draft picks

I don’t put much stock into draft picks, I understand what your point is but give me Grand Williams 7 days a week over Jarnell Stokes who was drafted.

And not for nothing but I do think Alexander is a guy who could potentially get drafted next season, so maybe we do have a NBA guy on our roster, even though he isn’t today...does that change the discussion?

I doubt those Butler guys drafted were top 100 recruits, so I’m sure initially they didn’t think those guys were NBA players either...just food for thought.

Another sidebar to this.....

Painter made the sweet 16 last year with pretty much the same guys minus freshman Nojel Eastern, a grad transfer from Michigan and 5* first round draft pick Caleb Swanigan.

The year before that they had a lot of the same guys plus NBA draft pick AJ Hammons who was a 4* top 100 guy.

So yeah, purdue is doing it without a ton of top 100 guys but they've got 3 which is nothing to sneeze at AND 1 of those guys is a senior. On top of that they have 2 more seniors that are top 150.

But you can't just look at 1 year and say this is how it always is for Purdue. They are bringing in two 4* next year and they've sent guys to the NBA the past two seasons. (5* and a top 100 4*)

So in summary, Purdue is a good example of what you can do without burning the world up in recruiting. But they are recruiting a notch better than us. And getting guys to stick around seems key.

Agee with it all, but who’s to say that is the limit of what you can do talent wise with those results? Who’s to say 1 less 4* and they don’t have the same results, or that another coach can’t?

Gregg Marshall has had some pretty steady success without nearly as many Top 100 guys, and he’s continuing to do so in a better conference than he was before.

My point simply being Purdue is a good example of a program not killing it in recruiting but getting better results than people would maybe expect...who’s to say another team can’t do better?

Agee with it all, but who’s to say that is the limit of what you can do talent wise with those results? Who’s to say 1 less 4* and they don’t have the same results, or that another coach can’t?

Gregg Marshall has had some pretty steady success without nearly as many Top 100 guys, and he’s continuing to do so in a better conference than he was before.

My point simply being Purdue is a good example of a program not killing it in recruiting but getting better results than people would maybe expect...who’s to say another team can’t do better?

Who's to say that it's not a coincidence they have 3 top 100 players and 5 top 150 players many of which are seniors?

I'm not asking for the world in recruiting. I think Barnes can do better and it seems to me like he agrees with me. His targets certainly suggest it.

If you wanna see what happens when he's been at your program for 3 years check out the California Bears. They picked up their first win of 2018 just 4 days ago.

This.

In 3 years at Cal he had 1 good year (2nd) where he was one and done as a #4 seed. And they still have work to do if they are going to the NCAAT.

Who's to say that it's not a coincidence they have 3 top 100 players and 5 top 150 players many of which are seniors?

I'm not asking for the world in recruiting. I think Barnes can do better and it seems to me like he agrees with me. His targets certainly suggest it.

Has he not targeted Top 100 guys before??

We are actually involved with these guys. Unlike the list of like 12 guys who never really gave us a shot.

And we are moving from ranked guy to ranked guy. Not settling.

Example??

Tennessee had Yurtseven on campus, also Petrusev...I would say we were involved with those guys. Same for Uyaelunmo, and also Deriante Jenkins, also Isaiah Stokes...in fact I know you know this because you’ve been quick in the past to point out all the “whiffs” I believe you called it.

Example??

Tennessee had Yurtseven on campus, also Petrusev...I would say we were involved with those guys. Same for Uyaelunmo, and also Deriante Jenkins, also Isaiah Stokes...in fact I know you know this because you’ve been quick in the past to point out all the “whiffs” I believe you called it.

Right. He needs to whiff less.

Petrusev
Simons
Harris
Moore

Those have been our main targets this class. Do I need to add their Rankings or do you get my picture?

Right. He needs to whiff less.

Petrusev
Simons
Harris
Moore

Those have been our main targets this class. Do I need to add their Rankings or do you get my picture?

Here’s the 2019 list I posted recently...

1. James Wiseman
10. Jalen Lecque
20. Josiah James
33. Marcus Watson
79. Kira Lewis
120. Trey McGowens
122. DJ Burns
188. Jason Jitoboh
202. Davonte Gaines (Tennessee commit)

Wiseman is a pipe dream, likely same for Lecque...so other than that you’ve got 3 Top 100 and 4 guys outside the Top 100.

TN should whiff less with the program solidly in the NCAAT field rather than fighting to make it onto the bubble.

They suck. And the composite is the worst. Saw you say something about it the other day.

Rivals > 247 all day every day.

The composite is the small number, 247’s ranking is the bigger number, however neither are top 100...also ESPN doesn’t have him Top 100 either.

Espn has Harris as a 4*.
Rivals has him as a 4* top 75 player.

And the sorry ass composite has him as sub 125 3*.

The composite is a crock. Always has been. Not reliable whatsoever. 247 is a joke. They have lots of nice features but zero substance. They don’t deliver what they promise. Spend all their time trying to trick customers. They suck.

The composite is the small number, 247’s ranking is the bigger number, however neither are top 100...also ESPN doesn’t have him Top 100 either.

247 ranking is the small number by the way. Big number is composite.

Everyone else has him as a 4*. 247 ranks him 142 3* and lowers his composite score. They suck balls.

Espn has Harris as a 4*.
Rivals has him as a 4* top 75 player.

And the sorry ass composite has him as sub 125 3*.

The composite is a crock. Always has been. Not reliable whatsoever. 247 is a joke. They have lots of nice features but zero substance. They don’t deliver what they promise. Spend all their time trying to trick customers. They suck.

1. Funny about ESPN, when it was Grant who was a 4* you bashed it saying they give everyone 4 stars but that he wasn’t ranked, funny how that works.

2. The 247 ranking is 129, not sure why you are still mentioning the composite?

VN Store

Back