ESPN is imploding

I guess that I have to ask the question, how is ESPN losing money?

One issue is having the HQ in very expensive New York City, perhaps move it to a more rural/cheaper location.

Perhaps cutting the # of stations and having less ESPNs and cutting the lower visibility sports.

Remove ESPY Awards or host it in a cheaper location.

There are ways they could cut costs and become profitable without losing their bread and butter.

You are looking too deep here.

Dunno about you guys, but to me ESPN was Chris Berman making stupid names, highlights, etc and a few minor sports thrown in They basically had rights to no major sports-and they made a TON of money without them. The world has changed though, you can pull up highlights 24/7 instead of having to wait until 10 PM or whatever.

Face it, college football/basketball/etc rights are expensive. The number of networks doesn't really concern me as the cost to broadcast those minor sports is minimal. You can get very few viewers and still turn a tidy profit. Maybe even pick up hockey if they haven't already-the rights to that may be affordable

Reactions: Remy
They built an extremely expensive new studio in the Seaport district of NYC a few years ago, where they do most of the stupid shout shows from. They're supposedly closing it by the end of next year. I think that's what he means by HQ
“Shout shows” is a perfect description. Could also apply to some of the business and political programming on other networks.

I don't watch any shout shows, but I guess the question is, Do they appeal to somebody? Somebody must be tuning in.

Reactions: feathersax
I don't watch any shout shows, but I guess the question is, Do they appeal to somebody? Somebody must be tuning in.
When PTI first started it was appointment television for me. Since that time, so many shows are just hot take stuff it doesn’t really move the needle for me. I think the infusion of politics into sports has kind of moved me away from those shows too. Not that it’s all that common, but I use sports as an escape from that stuff.

The fact they continue to exist and people like Stephen A. keep getting re-signed to big contracts says yes. I am a huge sports fan generally speaking and most of my friends/family are as well, and I don't personally know anybody who watches those shows. It's one of those things that makes me think I'm way out of touch, which I guess isn't a bad thing. Any time I see those shows or names brought up online (forums, Twitter, Reddit, etc) it is always to criticize them. So people are definitely watching; I'm just not sure who.

Disney keeps making Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar shows and Nobody is showing and eyeballing them either and they keep churning out more movies and shows. So As long as the Parks and Cruise lines can make money and subsidize those things they will continue to do so.

Disney keeps making Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar shows and Nobody is showing and eyeballing them either and they keep churning out more movies and shows. So As long as the Parks and Cruise lines can make money and subsidize those things they will continue to do so.

They've scaled way back on those, not sure about Pixar.

When PTI first started it was appointment television for me. Since that time, so many shows are just hot take stuff it doesn’t really move the needle for me. I think the infusion of politics into sports has kind of moved me away from those shows too. Not that it’s all that common, but I use sports as an escape from that stuff.

Early PTI was the glory days. It was the perfect show. They gave you a quick run down of stories (when you actually needed them to cover those. Now I get a twitter notification for everything). They had the right balance of hot takes. I would get back from class, turn on the TV, and watch my roommates roll in. Then, onto the gym to run some pickup games. Shower, go out and try to find some girls. I think there was studying in there too.

Edit: how could I forget the key final step...whether we found girls or not, we ended the night with Halo 2.

Last edited:
Early PTI was the glory days. It was the perfect show. They gave you a quick run down of stories (when you actually needed them to cover those. Now I get a twitter notification for everything). They had the right balance of hot takes. I would get back from class, turn on the TV, and watch my roommates roll in. Then, onto the gym to run some pickup games. Shower, go out and try to find some girls. I think there was studying in there too.

Edit: how could I forget the key final step...whether we found girls or not, we ended the night with Halo 2.
Yes to all of this. Pretty much my daily routine Monday-Thursday for a good part of college.

Around the Horn used to be a great show too. It's amazing how much the media landscape has changed - it seems like I watched it and PTI not that long ago but you do some quick Googling and see where the early days of those shows was 20 years ago. Time flies

I lived in Fort Sanders in a house with 5 guys. We didn't have Halo, but talking about that final step... When a roomie said their was a 100% chance of being with his "target of opportunity", and the next morning you see taco bell wrappers on the coffee table, you knew he struck out. The coffee table of shame.

I lived in Fort Sanders in a house with 5 guys. We didn't have Halo, but talking about that final step... When a roomie said their was a 100% chance of being with his "target of opportunity", and the next morning you see taco bell wrappers on the coffee table, you knew he struck out. The coffee table of shame.
Haha. I lived in the very back, western part of the Fort off of 22nd. Fajita Pita or Wing Zone boxes were the norm.

Reactions: mackievol
I don't care about ESPN's politics or agendas or whatever people are getting bent out of shape over, I can't believe people watch all these shows where they are just hot takes and talking about games to death and blah blah. Like I llove football, NFL and college but no way I could watch all the shows that are just talking about that for hours. All these Hot Take dipwads, and for life of me I don't get Pat McAfee though at least he looks like he's having fun and not taking himself that seriously.

Haha. I lived in the very back, western part of the Fort off of 22nd. Fajita Pita or Wing Zone boxes were the norm.
I was in a house they called "the Ghetto". 22nd and Highland corner. It was bulldozed and is a parking lot now. Good times there. I was psychological scarred because there were 5 guys in there and at any given time 2 to 4 overnighters. One bathroom, and toilet paper was a problem. Thank God for the Dailey Beacon. To this day, knowing TP has a pretty long shelf life, when I get down to 36 rolls in storage, I'm off to Costco to hoard more.

I don't care about ESPN's politics or agendas or whatever people are getting bent out of shape over, I can't believe people watch all these shows where they are just hot takes and talking about games to death and blah blah. Like I llove football, NFL and college but no way I could watch all the shows that are just talking about that for hours. All these Hot Take dipwads, and for life of me I don't get Pat McAfee though at least he looks like he's having fun and not taking himself that seriously.

You sum up why ESPN is trouble in the first place. They just don't have good products that sale their station outside of live sports. From May-August is probably a rough period for ESPN.

They dial into the drama/politics to try to drive ratings but that sometimes backfires as well.

I used to never quit watching ESPN but since all the B's and politics unless a game I want to watch is on there I don't tune in. I keep up with my college football news from Josh pate and a lot of the on3 guys like jd pickell and Andy staples. I can't leave out volnation y'all never let me down on the info I'm looking for either lol.

I would probably start watching them again if they would get rid of Stephen A. (I like to flap my gums) Smith
Stephen A would probably be good if he could refrain from interrupting and shouting people down when he disagrees with them. He's a smart guy who usually has good perspectives. I could put up with his abrasiveness but when he starts shouting, I change the channel. "I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it."

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back