ESPN is imploding

Not really. He got pigeon holed into no over the air networks. When many people are cutting the cord he is limiting eyes on his product, thus decreasing advertising revenue over a period of time.

We’ll see if ABC gets rid of ESPN or not . Otherwise the SEC will be on ABC/ESPN and that is about 5 different channel combinations of ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and SECN.

I know a lot of people like to take their shots at Sankey, not really sure who they would rather have at the moment. Kevin Warren who basically tried to shut down the B1G bc of Covid and then ran back to the NFL? The current commissioner of the B1G (10 points if anyone can name him) ? Jim Phillips who is probably the weakest leader in the Power 4 right now that just brokered a deal for the ACC with the CW? Or Yormark who has assembled the greatest collection of mid major schools ever?

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Not really. He got pigeon holed into no over the air networks. When many people are cutting the cord he is limiting eyes on his product, thus decreasing advertising revenue over a period of time.
They are all losing money

Over the air ABC losing ad revenue and therefore losing money
Over the cord ESPN properties are losing ad revenue along with cord cutters are losing money
Streaming is expensive and only one streamer Netflix is making money therefore the house of mouse is losing its ASCII on streaming to the tune of multi Billions a year with no clear path to making money

The media empires are all scrambling with no clear path to major profits….

Reactions: feathersax
They are all losing money

Over the air ABC losing ad revenue and therefore losing money
Over the cord ESPN properties are losing ad revenue along with cord cutters are losing money
Streaming is expensive and only one streamer Netflix is making money therefore the house of mouse is losing its ASCII on streaming to the tune of multi Billions a year with no clear path to making money

The media empires are all scrambling with no clear path to major profits….
Enjoying every moment of the demise.

I honestly shouldn't hate ESPN, I haven't paid for cable since 2012.
I only scramble for CFB. Everything else is a better world.

I guess that I have to ask the question, how is ESPN losing money?

One issue is having the HQ in very expensive New York City, perhaps move it to a more rural/cheaper location.

Perhaps cutting the # of stations and having less ESPNs and cutting the lower visibility sports.

Remove ESPY Awards or host it in a cheaper location.

There are ways they could cut costs and become profitable without losing their bread and butter.

Yep. It's well worth what I pay which ain't much, and almost every game is on. Pretty amazing really.

College football will always be linear television if people put in the work to put it on the air. I don't know if they can continue to do the work or not, but considering they are planning to pay the SEC about $60 million per school, they were figuring on selling a lot of ads.

I'm not sure how much is profit sharing and how much is "rights fee" but I think you guys will have to accept that college football is profitable for them. They split it profit 50/50 with the SEC.

Reactions: zjcvols
I guess that I have to ask the question, how is ESPN losing money?

One issue is having the HQ in very expensive New York City, perhaps move it to a more rural/cheaper location.

Perhaps cutting the # of stations and having less ESPNs and cutting the lower visibility sports.

Remove ESPY Awards or host it in a cheaper location.

There are ways they could cut costs and become profitable without losing their bread and butter.

ESPN main campus is in Bristol, CT not NYC. I have been there many times.

They had this campus for years. It is huge and low cost compared to most of todays media companies properties.

Their losing money is due to low advertising rates and they are decreasing and the purchase rights cost of live sports increasing.

They had this campus for years. It is huge and low cost compared to most of todays media companies properties.

Their losing money is due to low advertising rates and they are decreasing and the purchase rights cost of live sports increasing.

They have something in Manhattan though but yeah dial more in the Bristol, CT location would be smart.

CFB and NFL definitely is sky rocketing in costs and I can see that as an issue but you need to have both (especially NFL) to bring in the viewership. There is a drop off after Football. Other sports have certain events that definitely compete with the top Football Game: Olympics but it is once every 4 years, The Masters (CBS owns), March Madness (CBS owns), World Series, NBA Finals, etc. but those sports don't pull the regular viewership week after week like Football.

I can see an eventual push to expand the NFL season into July or drag further into February. It is already up to 17 games now.

I imagine the May-August timeframe is a dead period for most sports.

They have something in Manhattan though but yeah dial more in the Bristol, CT location would be smart.

CFB and NFL definitely is sky rocketing in costs and I can see that as an issue but you need to have both (especially NFL) to bring in the viewership. There is a drop off after Football. Other sports have certain events that definitely compete with the top Football Game: Olympics but it is once every 4 years, The Masters (CBS owns), March Madness (CBS owns), World Series, NBA Finals, etc. but those sports don't pull the regular viewership week after week like Football.

I can see an eventual push to expand the NFL season into July or drag further into February. It is already up to 17 games now.

I imagine the May-August timeframe is a dead period for most sports.

They have a studio there where the high priced personalities who don’t want to drive to Bristol can Brodcast from. They also have a small studio at ESPN WWOS in orlando and other places around country but HQ and the huge campus is Bristol.

The problem is linear advertising and cable revenue drop is killing them.

Reactions: bigeasy

Add in way overpaying for talent. There is not a lot of competition for talent but they have been paying premium prices for years. That is starting to change.

Add in way overpaying for talent. There is not a lot of competition for talent but they have been paying premium prices for years. That is starting to change.

Paying Joe Buck and Troy Aikman $30M-$35M/year (!!!) when not one person on God’s green earth has ever thought to themselves “You know I wasn’t gonna watch this MNF game but Joe Buck and Troy Aikman are calling the game? Yeah I’ll tune in now” is one of the most ludicrous ways to waste money I’ve ever seen.

I present to you exhibit A on the most ludicrous way they spend money

View attachment 572178

Stephen A actually draws in eyes and consistent ad revenue for the morning show. If you check morning ratings on FT compared to other shows, it’s usually the top in that 10-12 slot.

You either watch MNF or you don’t. Buck/Aikman get $35M/year (by the way, Shohei Ohtani just made $30M this year for comparison) to “legitimize” MNF is a true waste of money.

Stephen A actually draws in eyes and consistent ad revenue for the morning show. If you check morning ratings on FT compared to other shows, it’s usually the top in that 10-12 slot.

You either watch MNF or you don’t. Buck/Aikman get $35M/year (by the way, Shohei Ohtani just made $30M this year for comparison) to “legitimize” MNF is a true waste of money.

This is a really good point. Conversely, if they got "budget commentators" that weren't great, but could still competently call the game, the same amount of people would tune in.

So it really is just a waste of money.

Reactions: zjcvols
This is a really good point. Conversely, if they got "budget commentators" that weren't great, but could still competently call the game, the same amount of people would tune in.

I’m 30 years old. I’ve watched sports almost every day of my life since I was like 3 or 4. The only time I’ve ever thought “I will watch this game because “x” is calling the game” is Bill Walton during Maui week or Kevin Harlan on a west coast NBA game on a Thursday.

I’m 30 years old. I’ve watched sports almost every day of my life since I was like 3 or 4. The only time I’ve ever thought “I will watch this game because “x” is calling the game” is Bill Walton during Maui week or Kevin Harlan on a west coast NBA game on a Thursday.

The disrespect for Bill Raftery is real.

Not saying competent but to make the point people will still tune in….Gary Danielson

POINT MADE. DEAD HORSE BEATEN INTO GROUND…

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Get ready for big games in 2025 to be on the pay wall side of ESPN. The media industry especially Disney needs subscription growth and they are all Monkey See Monkey Do….

On Tuesday, NASCAR announced that Prime Video shall kick off its Cup Series coverage with the Coke 600 on May 25, 2025.

VN Store

Back