Euro 2012

I'll go with,

Portugal 2 - Czech Republic 2 (Portugal wins in shootout)
Germany 3 - Greece 0
Spain 2 - France 0
England 2 - Italy 1

England have found a way to screw it up for about half a century. Doubt they'll figure it out this time.

The first England game I can remember watching was the 1998 game against Argentina. Maybe they had been underacheiving up to that point.

That said, from what I've seen from that time to the present, England isn't competing for titles because they aren't good enough.

Do you think the parody in the Premier League hurts the English national team?

The two best teams, Spain and Germany, are essentially Barcelona/Madrid and Bayern/Dortmund respectively. So those two teams play together quite a bit more. English players are so spread out not to mention the EPL seems to have a lot more foreign players than either La Liga or the Bundesliga, thereby potentially denying English players more PT.

The two best teams, Spain and Germany, are essentially Barcelona/Madrid and Bayern/Dortmund respectively. So those two teams play together quite a bit more. English players are so spread out not to mention the EPL seems to have a lot more foreign players than either La Liga or the Bundesliga, thereby potentially denying English players more PT.
To some extent, but there are other issues. People thinking England had a real shot at winning the World Cup in 2010 were misinformed or stupid.

Last edited:
Guess it's both. If you continually screw up, you ain't that good. This year, the expectations were lower due to talent.
Like others said, I think their fans are finally coming to the realization that they just don't produce football talent like Spain and Germany do.

I get what you're saying and there might be something to it but I don't think there is. Matching parts is quite different from matching up the whole, so if concentration of the national team on a handful of clubs plays a role, it's a small one. The guys for the English national team get plenty of time on the pitch in the premiership, which you might say is a leg up for them since they face significantly tougher competition week in and week out than do guys for Munich, barcelona, Madrid, etc.

Like others said, I think their fans are finally coming to the realization that they just don't produce football talent like Spain and Germany do.

I get what you're saying and there might be something to it but I don't think there is. Matching parts is quite different from matching up the whole, so if concentration of the national team on a handful of clubs plays a role, it's a small one. The guys for the English national team get plenty of time on the pitch in the premiership, which you might say is a leg up for them since they face significantly tougher competition week in and week out than do guys for Munich, barcelona, Madrid, etc.

I can see your point. I had a similar discussion with a friend about American players and MLS. Is it better for American soccer that our better players go abroad and develop their skills there or stay MLS and help develop it. Pretty easy conclusion, that it's better for us internationally to develop overseas against stronger competition. The MLS is on the right path and hopefully will continue to develop in time as revenues increase.

VN Store

Back