Euro 2012

tUBzB.gif

Reactions: 1 person
There are about fifty or so spain fans here and most of them quietly applauded when pique got carded... Lol

ESPN talking heads are gushing "Best Ever." Dunno about that, but they were darn good.

It may well be the best "Golden Generation" I've ever seen.

As far as best individual team of my lifetime, I'll take the 2002 Brazil team head to head.

It may well be the best "Golden Generation" I've ever seen.

As far as best individual team of my lifetime, I'll take the 2002 Brazil team head to head.

Individually perhaps, but I'm hard-pressed to think of a better four year run than the one Spain has put together. No other international side has ever strung three in a row between confederation championships and the world cup.

Italy beat the best team in the tournament based on play to date in Germany. They destroyed them. Then they didn't even show up for the final.

I thought Italy would give them a good match considering how Spain struggled to keep possession against Portugal especially through midfield. Portugal is a decent team but not a team to stifle Spain as they did.

The Spain we saw today was the Spain everyone expected to see going into the tourney. They were obviously strong enough to make the final playing subpar to date (the Irish notwithstanding), but finally showed today what they were certainly capable of doing against a formidable opponent. I just did not expect them to magically change from the boring team that showed up against Portugal.

I don't think Italy played that poorly... Could have done better tactically perhaps, I think going back to the 3-5-2 would have been called for, but Spain was simply all-time great in their own 2/3 of the pitch. Best team of all time iyam.

Breath of fresh air to see positive football to win out after the Champions League debacle.

Great quote about the Spanish national team:

"Their unique way of playing, which goes by the deceptively cute name of “tiki-taka” is really a form of torture in which the victimized team spends the entire game chasing short, one-touch passes, slowly being run into the ground—at which point Spain walks the ball into the goal and wins 1-0. Crowds have whistled in derision as La Furia Roja dink the ball around, pundits have said Spain can’t keep “barely” winning, and writers have eloquently imagined ways of countering this method, but nobody has beaten Spain in a decisive game for almost eight years.”

I'm glad that the next two major international tournaments are going to be held in nations that might actually have an opportunity to last longer than the group stage. (Brazil 2014 and France 2016) The fan interest always seems to be higher not only because they have an actual rooting interest in their nation, but because they seem to be bigger soccer fans in general. The attendance over the past month was piss poor. Most every game, including the semifinals had plenty of empty seats.

VN Store

Back