Euro 2012

It will be interesting to see what happens. I think if there were ever a player to make good on his talk to the media, Balotelli would have to be the guy that is crazy enough to come through. Hopefully there won't be any incidents.

Same, but you just never know with some of these backwoods places.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I think if there were ever a player to make good on his talk to the media, Balotelli would have to be the guy that is crazy enough to come through. Hopefully there won't be any incidents.

If I were him I would walk. If you want to start making change make a real statement. He would likely have the support of the Italians.

Was it the Dutch or Italians saying that...?

They'll go on the pitch, and if they hear racist taunts, they talk to the ref about it. If the ref doesn't do anything about it, then the team leaves the pitch.

Where the **** was Ronaldo today?

In other news, Messi scores a hat trick against Brazil today.

Same, but you just never know with some of these backwoods places.

It's amazing to think there are still places where this would be a common occurrence. Even here in SEC country, the heart of the Old South, where I have known of and seen racist people and racism my whole life, the thought of anyone (or entire crowds of thousands of people) actually throwing bananas or chanting monkey noises at black athletes is incomprehensible.

It's amazing to think there are still places where this would be a common occurrence. Even here in SEC country, the heart of the Old South, where I have known of and seen racist people and racism my whole life, the thought of anyone (or entire crowds of thousands of people) actually throwing bananas or chanting monkey noises at black athletes is incomprehensible.

That's what amazes me. Also why I scoff at anyone who claims that Europeans are more sophisticated than Americans.

That's what amazes me. Also why I scoff at anyone who claims that Europeans are more sophisticated than Americans.

Growing up in the South, everybody knows racist people. Especially from older generations like my grandparents who are from West TN, I've been around it my entire life. Still, I can't imagine being able to get a group of people openly racist enough together to even once pull some of the crap that goes on in European soccer stadiums on a regular basis.

Eastern Europe =/= Europe

You really think that sort of thing would happen to that degree in Germany or France?

Well of course he could have, as would I.
Portgual has the best wing combo in the tournament. That said, if Germany wants to deny Ronaldo possession, they can. After watching the game, I think they really do have a good chance of making it to the knockout rounds.

You really think that sort of thing would happen to that degree in Germany or France?

Portgual has the best wing combo in the tournament. That said, if Germany wants to deny Ronaldo possession, they can. After watching the game, I think they really do have a good chance of making it to the knockout rounds.

It happened to Balotelli in both his home country of Italy and in a Europa League game this past season in Portugal.

Euro 2012: Mario Balotelli threatens to 'kill' banana-throwing fans | Football | The Guardian

Uefa fines Porto for racist chants towards Manchester City's Mario Balotelli - Telegraph

Someone correct if I'm wrong but I've heard that goal difference is not the first tiebreaker. Anyone have an idea what it would be then?

Good call. Here's the tiebreaking procedures. Maybe Holland's best chance is to have criteria 1-6 not be able to break the tie. If by some crazy coincidence they made it all the way to criteria 7, Holland (#3) has the leg up on both Portugal and Denmark. (#7 and #16 respectively)

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings

1. Higher number of points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;

2. Superior goal difference resulting from the matches played between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);

3. Higher number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points)

4. If, after having applied criteria 1) to 3), two teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1) to 3) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the two teams in question to determine the final rankings of the two teams. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 5) to 9) apply in the order given

5. superior goal difference in all group matches

6. higher number of goals scored in all group matches

7.position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system

Last edited:
Basically if two teams are tied in points, the head to head result breaks the tie, then goal differential.

Happens in Spain.

Actually Germany has been had issues at both the club and national level. Things ranging from those bananas all the way to "Sieg Heil!" chants by some fans.

Spain picking it up in the second half. Only a matter of time before they put one in.

Italy should have one but their striker totally butchered a chance

Di Natale!

And Spain won't put anything in until they actually have a forward on the field. Which should be happening now

This is easily the best match of the tournament so far, even in spite of the oddball strategies for both sides. Lots of quality.

VN Store

Back