Fair to say Vols on the cusp of either emulating or surpassing Fulmer Cutcliffe Chavis years?

Not so sure. Stetson Bennet has been turning heads in camp
The guy was always better than people gave him credit for but he killed whatever lingering doubt I had that he was a baller with that last drive against Ohio State. He also threw 2 fourth quarter touchdown passes against Bama the year before, and he hurt us every year we played him. I am glad he is gone and I think they will miss him more than they realize.

Currently watching the orange bowl. If Milton corrects a few things and we can get squirrel and keyton on fire, we are in good shape. Our chances at the natty honestly rests on Milton’s shoulders.

It baffles me how everyone seems to try to negate what our HOF coach did for us! He had us at the top with a 152-52 record while in the SEC and we fired him!

With all the highly educated people in charge of the university, I just can’t fathom why they didn’t give him a sabbatical!

B/C he he went below 500 in 2005 and 2008. He also lost control of the team as there were numerous off the field issues with player arrests.

As some have stated, the SEC had mediocre coaches w the exception of Spurrier. The SEC wasn’t as talented and Fulmer began struggling once the SEC and coaches improved.

The 2001 SEC title loss was inexplicable as well as the 2005 season. Fulmer was a CEO who struggled once he lost Coach Cut and it was time for him to go. I doubt he would’ve taken a sabbatical but this is college football, not church.

Plus, ADs didn’t come after him which tells me he wasn’t as elite as some would think.

I believe we are approaching a window where we are capable of winning a NC, possibly as soon as this season. Bama and UGA both breaking in new QBs. How long that window stays open is up in the air. Could be 2 seasons or we SHOULD be the next Bama who knows.

FYP.

Currently watching the orange bowl. If Milton corrects a few things and we can get squirrel and keyton on fire, we are in good shape. Our chances at the natty honestly rests on Milton’s shoulders.

Don't forget about McCoy and the 5star WR Transfer from Oregon!

Don't forget about McCoy and the 5star WR Transfer from Oregon!

Man, if Milton puts it all together this season, protects the football, goes through his progressions quickly, knows where everyone is supposed to be, finds the open receivers and controls his arm....it could get really crazy with this WR corp.

Man, if Milton puts it all together this season, protects the football, goes through his progressions quickly, knows where everyone is supposed to be, finds the open receivers and controls his arm....it could get really crazy with this WR corp.

Yep. Should hang 50 every week. I'm looking for 55 vs UVA. 55-17.

Reactions: Vol737
I don't think they're trying to emulate any previous coaching staff.

Believe this staff is their own and the agenda of any staff past or present or future is to win. So emulating a past team is a yes for being winners at a high level. After that comparisons should stop. GBO!

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Some of you guys might be too young to remember this, but there was a time that if Tennessee lost a game, it was shocking and felt like it derailed the entire season's expectations. We are not even there yet.

Some of you guys might be too young to remember this, but there was a time that if Tennessee lost a game, it was shocking and felt like it derailed the entire season's expectations. We are not even there yet.
I'm pretty old, and I never remember any season where it was "shocking" for us to lose a game.

I mean, even in the championship season, 1998, I'd bet most us at one point or another did expect to lose to Syracuse, Florida, and/or Arkansas.

I think I get what you're trying to say, that there was a time when we entered every single contest expecting that we could win. No one was bigger than us. We might lose to some of the tougher competition, but nobody entered the season believing any game was a write-off.

If that's what you mean, I totally agree.

And in fact, I think we're back there. This season. The Bama and UGa games are going to be tough. Some folks here have written off one or both those matches. Not me. We can win each game this year. Will we win all of them, go 15-0? Probably not. But we're in every fight with a realistic chance.

That's as good as it has ever been, in my lifetime.

Go Vols!

B/C he he went below 500 in 2005 and 2008. He also lost control of the team as there were numerous off the field issues with player arrests.

As some have stated, the SEC had mediocre coaches w the exception of Spurrier. The SEC wasn’t as talented and Fulmer began struggling once the SEC and coaches improved.

The 2001 SEC title loss was inexplicable as well as the 2005 season. Fulmer was a CEO who struggled once he lost Coach Cut and it was time for him to go. I doubt he would’ve taken a sabbatical but this is college football, not church.

Plus, ADs didn’t come after him which tells me he wasn’t as elite as some would think.
The 2001 loss is slightly less inexplicable now that we know who Saban is. At the time he was a nobody.

It baffles me how everyone seems to try to negate what our HOF coach did for us! He had us at the top with a 152-52 record while in the SEC and we fired him!

With all the highly educated people in charge of the university, I just can’t fathom why they didn’t give him a sabbatical!
How is anyone here (much less everyone) negating what he did? The OP held it up as a standard to try to emulate. WTH are you talking about?

13 years, 1989-2001 (128 wins 29 losses and 3 ties.

fans that lived during that time never felt the appreciation of what was happening in those 13 seasons. A record like that is rare and living through it is unbelievable in hindsight.

If you ever start to experience that or believe it is happening, stop and marvel at what is being accomplished. If it does happen again, it most likely will be some future generation that witnesses it. Not anyone currently being a fan.

Which means someone needs to pass this post down to heirs. LOL

I lived through that time and I appreciated what was happening.

It’s hard to look at the history and know either way, but the BEST years started with one of the greatest college QB’s of all time playing for almost 4 full years. Then the Tee Martin with an elite defense year…UT’s possible toughest team ever in 2001 and then the talent rich rosters of the 2003 and 2004 seasons. The difference now is the competition and you could play 15 games in a year, possibly 16 games next year. Double digit win standard is really not asking as much as it used to, but it also may not be an elite program threshold…only time will tell.

Attachments

• IMG_5193.png
    IMG_5193.png
    165.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: fossilfiction
Even ignoring the "can we match their number of wins" and just a "are they as good of coaches as those 3", Heupel and whoever his OC is each year might be able to match Fulmer/Cutcliffe, but Banks has a long way to go before he can be talked about in the same light as Chavis.

People like to joke about "3rd and Chavis", which makes many forget how producing top 10 nationally defenses was just routine for him.

I'm pretty old, and I never remember any season where it was "shocking" for us to lose a game.

I mean, even in the championship season, 1998, I'd bet most us at one point or another did expect to lose to Syracuse, Florida, and/or Arkansas.

I think I get what you're trying to say, that there was a time when we entered every single contest expecting that we could win. No one was bigger than us. We might lose to some of the tougher competition, but nobody entered the season believing any game was a write-off.

If that's what you mean, I totally agree.

And in fact, I think we're back there. This season. The Bama and UGa games are going to be tough. Some folks here have written off one or both those matches. Not me. We can win each game this year. Will we win all of them, go 15-0? Probably not. But we're in every fight with a realistic chance.

That's as good as it has ever been, in my lifetime.

Go Vols!
You nailed what I meant. We never went 36-0. However, there was never a game in the late '90s and early 2000's Tennessee couldn't play and beat anyone. There was not a game they played where every fan thought the W shouldn't happen with proper coaching. The only game people had concerns about consistently was Florida and that was because of the Manning era struggles with them. Every week the fans, myself included, thought Tennessee had the talent and coaching to win. If they lost, it was all on the coaches and shouldn't be accepted at all.

To me, this is the benchmark he has to obtain to pass the highs of the Fulmer era. Win some hardware and make the brand a consistent threat to everyone every Saturday the Vols play.

Can't wait to see Freeze beat bama again, hopefully soon
I was thinking about this the other day. Freeze is going to have Auburn back to being good again soon. I don’t think we (Vol fans) are necessarily giving enough thought to the idea that Auburn could be back to being a rival of ours in the next few years. We’re going play them every other year. Heupel vs Freeze will be a matchup of two of the great offensive coaches in college football.

Reactions: UTblood4life
IMO, Georgia will get better play from the QB position this season than the last two seasons. Lot more talented guys are about to play for them at QB.

maybe...door dash had 4150 yards last season.not a easy feat to surpass for a freshman.

You nailed what I meant. We never went 36-0. However, there was never a game in the late '90s and early 2000's Tennessee couldn't play and beat anyone. There was not a game they played where every fan thought the W shouldn't happen with proper coaching. The only game people had concerns about consistently was Florida and that was because of the Manning era struggles with them. Every week the fans, myself included, thought Tennessee had the talent and coaching to win. If they lost, it was all on the coaches and shouldn't be accepted at all.

To me, this is the benchmark he has to obtain to pass the highs of the Fulmer era. Win some hardware and make the brand a consistent threat to everyone every Saturday the Vols play.
Actually that stretch would go all the way back to 1989

Reactions: fossilfiction

VN Store

Back