Fair to say Vols on the cusp of either emulating or surpassing Fulmer Cutcliffe Chavis years?

I agree, but it makes a little more sense when you realize in retrospect that Saban was the GOAT, and that's who pulled off this inexplicable upset. At the time, his profile was no greater than Houston Nutt's, so it was even more baffling.

TN still shouldn’t have lost to LSU in 2001 Vs a backup RB and QB (2nd half). The Bama game surprised me as Fulmer’s team looked completely lost. It happens but it was time for Fulmer to go. He did a good job in that he surrounded himself with good coaches, similar to what Dabo has done over the yrs.

TN still shouldn’t have lost to LSU in 2001 Vs a backup RB and QB (2nd half). The Bama game surprised me as Fulmer’s team looked completely lost. It happens but it was time for Fulmer to go. He did a good job in that he surrounded himself with good coaches, similar to what Dabo has done over the yrs.
I'm not saying we should have lost to them, I'm just saying it looks a little different to me considering in hindsight Nick Saban is a coach who has gone on to win 7 national championships since that time. At the time it happened he was just some random coach basically.

Reactions: vol94
With is being such a different era, to me, it is hard to make that comparison. At this point it's like asking if the dominance of the P-51 will ever be repeated.

Yes, in 1944 the P-51 was dominant, but compared the 5th gen F-22, its no comparison.

The 90's were great but the measure of success is much different than now.

I have no idea whether last year's success will be sustained. UT fans obviously think so and are hopeful, don't blame you. I would be, too.

Just think its premature to declare it to actually be in progress.

It's not just the fans. It's most of Sports Media; and some Coaches. Heupel has made a believer of many out there.

I have no idea whether last year's success will be sustained. UT fans obviously think so and are hopeful, don't blame you. I would be, too.

Just think its premature to declare it to actually be in progress.

I wonder what your line would be if the situation was reversed..... "We are back!!" Yep. lol

I wonder what your line would be if the situation was reversed..... "We are back!!" Yep. lol

I'm jaded and cynical about the future of the Gators right now, and really the whole sport.

Right now I see student sections at UF games maybe 20 % empty. Used to be you had to work to find a ticket. Now the ticket office is doing bundled packages to sell seats, even to alumni.

We are recruiting better but I'm not sure we have the sticktoitiveness to pour the money into NIL that its going to take to stay there, or retain players who opt for greener pastures.

If anything, seems to me that over the long haul NIL means that the rich (Alabama, Texas, and tOSU in particular) will get richer and programs like Tennessee and Florida (and even Georgia in time) will rarely, if ever, be in the national championship discussion.

Quite depressing, actually.

I'm jaded and cynical about the future of the Gators right now, and really the whole sport.

Right now I see student sections at UF games maybe 20 % empty. Used to be you had to work to find a ticket. Now the ticket office is doing bundled packages to sell seats, even to alumni.

We are recruiting better but I'm not sure we have the sticktoitiveness to pour the money into NIL that its going to take to stay there, or retain players who opt for greener pastures.

If anything, seems to me that over the long haul NIL means that the rich (Alabama, Texas, and tOSU in particular) will get richer and programs like Tennessee and Florida (and even Georgia in time) will rarely, if ever, be in the national championship discussion.

Quite depressing, actually.

I share your sentiments on the NIL. It will boil down to whoever wants to pony up the Cash, (as it always has been but now legal for everyone, not just bama) Rest assured, Florida will do whatever it takes to be in the mix, (no choice or become vandy) and they are now; based on their current class. Florida has as many resources as most everyone; except Texas.

Last edited:
I share your sentiments on the NIL. It will boil down to whoever wants to pony up the Cash, (as it always has been but now legal for everyone, not just bama) Rest assured, Florida will do whatever it takes to be in the mix, (no choice or become vandy) and they are now; based on their current class. Florida has as many resources as most everyone; except Texas.

The question becomes, at what point is the ROI too little for the boosters/NIL collective. Also, you ill run into issues where ADs will be faced with choices of facilities funds or NIL funds requests. I don't think that will be an issue for major schools, but your mid majors are going to be put "back in their place" because their lack of a massive pool of booster resources to sustain an NIL fund as well as a general athletics fund.

Where they had a run of ten years give or take averaging 10-11 wins a year? Side note thanks to all of our teachers grade school and college. I know you are either in school today or headed back soon, just a simple shout out thanks.

Not even close right now and no way should it be, but it's definitely possible down the road. During those years, 2 losses was a bad, underachieving season. Hope we get back there.

How’s this for a question have any of us seen a coaching staff of this like in Knoxville in 2 decades or maybe ever given what they did with nothing the past two years. Talks cheap but we all love doing it however this staff has shown out with less than any staff I can recall in my lifetime.

I agree, with the sole comment that ufnortunately the backup QB was a worse match for us. I think we win going away if Rohan stays healthy.

That and what ultimately cost us the game was the turnovers. That game put Saban on the map unfortunately. We owe that POS .... so many ass beatings.

I'm just glad we got at least one on him last year at bammer, and hoping for many more until he strokes out yelling at his third string vs Louisiana-BFE

Reactions: vol94
Not even close right now and no way should it be, but it's definitely possible down the road. During those years, 2 losses was a bad, underachieving season. Hope we get back there.
I don't recall it that way. I recall a year with 2 or fewer losses being a good one. We won the SEC title in '90 under Johnny Majors' leadership with 2 losses. Did the same again in '97 with Philip Fulmer at the helm: SEC champions, 2 losses (the second loss was in our bowl game).

In the 32 years that the Vols were led by Majors or Fulmer, there were only 4 seasons (so about one a decade) where we ended the year with 1 or 0 losses: '85, '89, '95, and the undefeated 13-0 national championship year of '98.

Given that Philip Fulmer's win rate was .745, or about three-fourths of all games, and that the average season was 12 games (including the bowl) during those years, I'd say 9-3 was an "average" year. 10-2 or better was a good year.

The modern equivalent would be something like, 10-3 or 10-4 = "average", 11-2 or 11-3 = "good" and anything beyond that = exceptional.

Go Vols!

p.s. Or did you mean during the Neyland years? If so, my bad. One loss (or none) was in fact fairly normal for the General. Including the wartime years when John Barnhill filled in for Neyland, there were something like 15 seasons with one or fewer losses. 15 years out of 26, yeah, you'd have to call that "average." That's how good we were in those days. Getting back to that would be awesome!

For us 80s babies and beyond, the 2022 season was the greatest UT football season of our ADULT lives. I think that’s saying something
Sort of. Mostly the "beyond" part. As in someone born in the 1990s or 2000s.

Because a baby born in 1980 would be an adult of 18 for the national title game against FSU in the championship '98 season. A baby born in 1987 would be 20 years old the last time we played in Atlanta for the SEC championship (the 2007 season). And even if they weren't quite adults yet, the babies born on the last day of December in 1989 would still have been old enough to remember either or both of those really good years.

Last year was hella fun, agreed. But any year that we play for a championship is better than any year that we don't.

Go Vols!

For us 80s babies and beyond, the 2022 season was the greatest UT football season of our ADULT lives. I think that’s saying something
I was born in 81 but UT was still a top team when I was in college. Obviously started slowly going downhill around ‘04 but still a solid team. 2001, I think it was, we went 11-1. That was actually a slightly better year than last year because we made the SEC title game. Now we won’t speak of what happened during that game but we did make the game.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I was born in 81 but UT was still a top team when I was in college. Obviously started slowly going downhill around ‘04 but still a solid team. 2001, I think it was, we went 11-1. That was actually a slightly better year than last year because we made the SEC title game. Now we won’t speak of what happened during that game but we did make the game.
We went 11-2 in 2001

The question becomes, at what point is the ROI too little for the boosters/NIL collective. Also, you ill run into issues where ADs will be faced with choices of facilities funds or NIL funds requests. I don't think that will be an issue for major schools, but your mid majors are going to be put "back in their place" because their lack of a massive pool of booster resources to sustain an NIL fund as well as a general athletics fund.

"Put back in their place" Yep. The byproduct of the NIL that Congress wanted so badly but won't regulate. (they screw up everything they touch anyway) Couple it with "Conference Re-Alignment" and the Little guy really gets stomped on.

Ah that's right. 10-2 regular season, 11 with the bowl win. We still made the SEC title game though. Great year and my memory is obviously fuzzy but I think Clausen was QB. They didn't call him Iceman for no reason...
Had we beat LSU, we would have played Miami fir the NC

I remember the Fulmer years and the excitement of those bowl games. We knew we were going to play a quality opponent and just knew we were going to win! Much excitement such as last year!

I appreciate the sentiments of this post. What I need to see is a win in the swamp for the first time in 20 years. We need to take control of this rivalry.

VN Store

Back