Fast paced SEC vs Slow 10

This thread is starting to eerily remind of the pre-south Carolina 2022 and pre-Florida 2023 posts when we had convinced ourselves there was no way the opponent could stay on the field with us.

Reactions: VollerNbham
To think OSU is not better than Mizzouri you really need to take your SEC goggles off. They beat a OSU team who lost both their capable QBs . One in transfer portal other in the first qtr of the game. Mizzouri didn’t do jack vs OSU’s defense. Until 4th Qtr when OSU defense just got tired late because the offense was so inept with third string QB. All the teams in the SEC playing their Third string qb probably would have suffered the same fate.

To think OSU is not better than Mizzouri you really need to take your SEC goggles off. They beat a OSU team who lost both their capable QBs . One in transfer portal other in the first qtr of the game. Mizzouri didn’t do jack vs OSU’s defense. Until 4th Qtr when OSU defense just got tired late because the offense was so inept with third string QB. All the teams in the SEC playing their Third string qb probably would have suffered the same fate.
Dumb take, and simply parrotting the stupidity of loser Ohio State sycophants. Kyle McCord was so great that his own head coach and fans ran him off. He was SOOO highly valued nationally that he transferred to...(checks notes), SYRACUSE. GMAFB. Then, the guy he barely beat out for the positon (Brown) was getting his head handed to him by the Missouri defense. Who, by the way, played without three starters on defense. Both starting linebackers were out so Mizzou had to play a transfer from Wyoming (Hicks) and a safety playing out of position (Tristan Newson), and so was one of their NFL bound corners (Rakestraw). Newsflash: Ohio State didn't have their offensive line opt out. Missouri's front seven was just kicking their ass. Wouldn't have mattered WHO the qb was, when he wouldn't have had any time to pass. And without any time to throw, it wouldn't have mattered that Harrison Jr. played or not. Throw in the fact that Harrison Jr. was going to be covered by Missouri's All American corner (Abrams-Draine), and the whole "Ohio State had too many opt outs to win" quickly falls apart.

Dumb take, and simply parrotting the stupidity of loser Ohio State sycophants. Kyle McCord was so great that his own head coach and fans ran him off. He was SOOO highly valued nationally that he transferred to...(checks notes), SYRACUSE. GMAFB. Then, the guy he barely beat out for the positon (Brown) was getting his head handed to him by the Missouri defense. Who, by the way, played without three starters on defense. Both starting linebackers were out so Mizzou had to play a transfer from Wyoming (Hicks) and a safety playing out of position (Tristan Newson), and so was one of their NFL bound corners (Rakestraw). Newsflash: Ohio State didn't have their offensive line opt out. Missouri's front seven was just kicking their ass. Wouldn't have mattered WHO the qb was, when he wouldn't have had any time to pass. And without any time to throw, it wouldn't have mattered that Harrison Jr. played or not. Throw in the fact that Harrison Jr. was going to be covered by Missouri's All American corner (Abrams-Draine), and the whole "Ohio State had too many opt outs to win" quickly falls apart.
Sure, Mizzou is a beast.

I think it is.

It has been amusing listening to the announcers shift their perspective as the game has progressed.

In the 1st Qtr, it was, "Ole Miss will have trouble finding success against this top defense in the country."

In the 2nd Qtr, it turned into, "Penn State has the #1 defense in the nation, albeit missing a few key pieces."

In the 3rd Qtr, it has been, "Don't sleep on Lane Kiffin, especially on offense, he can make something out of nothing."

In the 4th Qtr, they'll be talking about how great Ole Miss' offense is, and won't mention the #1 defense in the country again.

Every single team in the B10 is over-ranked on defense. Because they're all playing against really anemic offenses: each other.

WGWTFA.

Go Vols!
This. 100%. Tennessee beats Iowa 10 out of 10 times. It will be ugly at first and then turn into a slaughter.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I hate Lane Kiffin. Would not wish anything good for that garbage human being. As usual, the one time I want Penn State to win, they start choking.

I hope Tennessee looks even better against Iowa, but inexperience at an and DB is likely to bite us against a very experienced Iowa team.
There was a game earier this year where the over under on total points for Iowa was something like 2.5 points. I think we'll be ok playing talented freshman DBs against a team Vegas is confident enough to take bets over whether or not they will score a single point 😂

I hate Lane Kiffin. Would not wish anything good for that garbage human being. As usual, the one time I want Penn State to win, they start choking.

I hope Tennessee looks even better against Iowa, but inexperience at an and DB is likely to bite us against a very experienced Iowa team.
We'll probably have our fair share of problems in the secondary, but I can understand the strategy of breaking them against a passing offense that pales in comparison to Austin Peay.

Reactions: Chad F
How exactly does this work?

"Oh, I think we will pass on this talented 5-star . . . he's so fast in the fall, but when November gets here, he's probably going to struggle for some weird reason that nobody ever actually explains. Yeah forget that 5-star -- we'd be better off taking that corn-fed slowboy 3-star -- he will somehow play good in November?"

This cold-weather football excuse makes no logical sense. Talent is talent, no matter what the temperature is.
It's an insane argument. I moved to Columbus from Knoxville. On average, Columbus is around 5 degrees cooler in October/November. Washington DC gets more snow a year than Central Ohio. "Cold weather Midwest football" is a myth.

As an Iowa fan.

Tennessee should handle Iowa. Iowas Qb has trouble throwing against air. Stop the run and Iowa will struggle to score 10.

I’m very curious to see your up tempo offense against Iowa’s D and how they fare. We don’t see them very often. Typically the first two drives are best scoring chances. Then Phil Parker makes adjustments.

As for SEC speed vs Big 10 speed. I don’t think it’s as prevalent as people make it out to be.

I think offensive philosophy is the biggest factor. It’s very hard to throw the ball all over the park, go lightning fast, when it’s 0-30 degrees and 20mph winds. Big ten teams recruit and build rosters for November football in upper MW.

As a result during bowl season you see defenses get totally exposed like PSU.

Next year playoffs will be interesting with first round being at home sites. It keeps ALOT of players opting out allowing for marquee matchups to be what we want to see.
As someone who lives in Big Ten country, the weather's not like that before Thanksgiving very often

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
There was a game earier this year where the over under on total points for Iowa was something like 2.5 points. I think we'll be ok playing talented freshman DBs against a team Vegas is confident enough to take bets over whether or not they will score a single point 😂
25 points (for both teams) not 2.5

Last year is last year, and has ZERO bearing on this year. Yet another dumbass take from you. Try again, little boy.
Go by your Alabama gear, SEC but hole homer. You’re not a Tenn fan at all. Just a when Tenn is down jump all over the SEC card. Loser you are.

It is not Mizzouri's fault that the culture at OSU is so bad the rats went running off the ship as fast as they can. OSU is a fake contender that lately cannot even beat Michigan the one semi-tough game they face all year. The last real success OSU has was by hiring a previous top winning SEC coach that could actually lead them to a championship. When he left so did the titles.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
It's an insane argument. I moved to Columbus from Knoxville. On average, Columbus is around 5 degrees cooler in October/November. Washington DC gets more snow a year than Central Ohio. "Cold weather Midwest football" is a myth.
Who are the spread teams in the Big Ten, Ohio State, Maryland, Purdue, Indiana, Yes, you are accurate with about 5 degrees difference.

This year in Minnesota it’s been extremely mild borderline nice. Yet that’s definitely outside the norm. 30 degrees and very windy days is much more common.

Iowa/Minnesota last November. 17 degrees and 20 mph winds.

35degrees with 15mph winds is about the norm. Go to a game, it’s VERY cold.

It will be interesting if Wisconsin/Iowa ever get a home playoff game in December, weather will be a factor.

Haha of course any team would take a talented 5* if he fits their program. I meant roster building/philosophy as a whole.

SEC loves their twitchy pass rushing ends. Agile Tackles, side line to side line LB’s and so on. They need to build their roster that way because of majority of offenses in the SEC.

In the Big Ten, you can have that super fast talented WR. When the weather gets crappy the number of balls thrown past 20 yards/ completion % both go down. The run % increases.

Thus you see rosters built more for a power run offenses instead. Even teams who run spread offenses (Minnesota,Nebraska under Frost are very downhill running power teams.

Instead of the vertical press the ball down the field spread teams such as Ole Miss and Tennessee.

Your LB/DL recruiting will fit that mold. You might see a cb with 4.3 speed but if he can’t tackle a cb with 4.5 speed who isn’t afraid to tackle is more likely to get the offer.

Interested in how Oregon/USC/UCLA do next year if they get November games in the upper MW. If they have success I think you see Big 10 teams start moving towards SEC offenses. Those teams struggle in Nov you will see them shifting to more Big 10 type offenses.
In 2024, Oregon has Mich in Ann Arbor Nov 2 and Wisconsin in Madison Nov 16th. Both average around 43 degrees in Nov. That's not that bad, plus it's typically a dry cold. A wet 43 at Autzen can be very cold. I'd expect the LA schools to struggle more than the NW schools. It is certainly worth watching to see how they handle the cold. It will likely be similar to playing WSU in Nov.

In 2024, Oregon has Mich in Ann Arbor Nov 2 and Wisconsin in Madison Nov 16th. Both average around 43 degrees in Nov. That's not that bad, plus it's typically a dry cold. A wet 43 at Autzen can be very cold. I'd expect the LA schools to struggle more than the NW schools. It is certainly worth watching to see how they handle the cold. It will likely be similar to playing WSU in Nov.
Agreed, Madison has the potential to be brutally cold. But that’s November in upper MW can be 55 on Monday and 32 on Tuesday.

Oregon and Washington won’t have to adjust a ton. It’s the wind that makes things brutal. 40 and 5mph isn’t bad. 40 and 15-20mph winds is very cold.

My question is about the speed of our receivers against the speed of Iowa's safeties and corners. With the players scheduled for the game, can we expect to have an advantage, even match, or disadvantage?

VN Store

Back