First black stripe is off!

haters-gonna-hate.gif

What the....

Reactions: 1 person
Also connects the older guys with the freshmen.

Maybe it is a little corny...but that kind of stuff tends to work especially with younger people.

Agreed. I feel like an underrated aspect of building a team is bonding the older players with the new ones. Think about it: the difference between 17-18 and being 21-22 is huge. Think about how much you changed between 17 and 22, and now think about how much more insane that growth process would be if you're a football player in the premier conference in the country. It's mind-boggling what the gap could be in those four short years. That being said, I love the black stripe idea from a bonding standpoint and as a method to create incentives for achievement. :yes:

I don't know what to say...other than...you must watch the whole thing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa-kJrgzEb4[/youtube]

I'm amazed that people can't find the positive in this, corny or not. The last 3-4 years have jaded some of you so badly (and perhaps justifiably), but come on. Sometimes, the glass IS half-full.

They suffer symptoms from BPS, Battered Person Syndrome. It's quite sad, really.

This is such a good idea. I don't really think it's corny at all, it gives the young guys something to strive for and when they make it they will be even more loyal and motivated and they'll feel a stronger connection to the program. It gives the older guys a sense of responsibility and ownership for this team and should encourage leaders to step up, the idea wins all around.

Well, look at it this way:

When CBJ came to UT the first thing he probably noticed was low morale and a group of individuals instead of a team.

The combined record of the seniors on this team is dreadful with 1 winning season between all of them... at best. Most players have only known losing seasons and a dreadful SEC record.

A rebuild like that starts from the bottom. The brick-by-brick and black stripe approach is much more cohesive and approachable for the team and likely the public than "Opportunity is nowhere", Nazi metaphors and orange dog.

This alone isn't guaranteeing a win, absolutely true. However, if this gels the team more than not doing it, this could pay dividends in the long run when we're going into a crucial November after a brutal October.

As CBJ said "Players don't win Championships, teams win Championships."

There are exceptions to every rule, auburn wouldn't have won their NC without cam newton. :no: The gators haven't won anything sense tebow graduated.

Last edited:
Lol....I pride myself on having thick skin so trust me, I'm not bent out of shape. And your point is a good one because my statements do seem contradictory, so I'll clarify. My opinion is that this is a good, motivational tool and part of an overall strategy to rebuild the mentality that was so damaged by Dools. But as far this particular tool being a predictor for how many games Butch will win from year to year is ludicrous imo. Every coach on every level of coaching in every sport has unique motivational tools they employ from time to time to get the most out of their players. But not all of those coaches win big, in fact, only a few do. That's my point.

Who stated that exactly? Your statement didnt "seem" contradictory, it was contradictory. Posters are just referencing this tactic as another instance of Butch getting it.

Reactions: 2 people
Can't be believe you and me are the only posters who feel this way on this thread.

This sit supported Dooley to the point of shouting down disagreement until he was clearly a dead man walking. I don't think we should be surprised that it espouses a simple motivational tool (which all coaches use) as promise of pending greatness.

Can't be believe you and me are the only posters who feel this way on this thread.

I was grouped in with those "so negative you could put them in a dark room and they would develop," so that should count for something.

People here are so eager to project their hopes onto every news story that those of us who have adopted a wait-and-see attitude toward this coaching staff are being treated as VolNation Heretics.

This sit supported Dooley to the point of shouting down disagreement until he was clearly a dead man walking. I don't think we should be surprised that it espouses a simple motivational tool (which all coaches use) as promise of pending greatness.

I am living proof that this statement is wrong.

I am living proof that this statement is wrong.

no you aren't. You're living proof that you don't pay attention.

and OBTW, you're in here now acting like this program is somehow revolutionary and an indicator that this staff is going to win big. The premise is absurd.

and OBTW, you're in here now acting like this program is somehow revolutionary and an indicator that this staff is going to win big. The premise is absurd.

This is BS and you know it.
I never said any of the sewage that you spewed. I just said it was a step in the right direction. Look, big guy, Gruden ain't coming. Go back to your club of miserables and lament.

Well it typically works better than cane lashes.

Two good things here: 1.) It encourages the Freshman to excel and perform at a high level. 2.) It encourages mentoring by the more seasoned players. They can serve as coach aides and teach the techniques and tricks of the trade in a one on one setting. Do you want to have the last guy running around like a dufus with a black stripe? It would reflect poorly on the mentor and the mentee.

VN Store

Back