First black stripe is off!

Black stripe, hooray beer!

Cam Sutton will be a beast. I'm super excited about our secondary in years to come.

Which one? It's a great idea to give the freshman something to work for besides being a starter (which isn't reasonable for most of them). I get that you're questioning the logic of assuming a coach with great tactical, organizational, and motivational skills will win big. Just let people hope for the best without feeling the need to reign them in.

Mark Stoops has just announced that his freshman players will wear black stripes on their helmets until they earn their blue stripes.

That's some funny shizz! My only question now is where is their fist?

If he wins, this will look really smart. If he loses, it will look like a goofy orange ceramic dog

True. Might as well go all in. A new coach has nothing to lose for it I guess. Who cares if they call you a doofus, a doolittle, or worse, if you can walk away with a killer bonus after being fired. I'd take it.

Ya know, now that I think about it. That leather helmet Dooley was wearing after the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff win had a thick black stripe down the middle. We all should have known right then!

I kid. :D

in the picture, look on the "team 117" board. What's the password for? It says "Password = xostech"

As a vet, I can definitely see the appeal in a short ceremony done in front of your peers/superiors. It's the positives of hazing without the negatives.

The Marines made a ceremony out of everything. Got a Letter of Appreciation? Certificate of Commendation? Better make sure the entire unit knows. I personally never cared about it but most guys I was with really appreciated being recognized for their hard work.

Reactions: 2 people
I like it, Jones is using several things to motivate guys that some people will never understand. The military uses little things in different communities similar to this and Jones's leadership approach is very similar to the military IMO.

I am liking what I am seeing

Go Vols

Reactions: 1 person
Odds are most people won't even remember this come October. But hey, let's talk it up like it's the second coming of Neyland for now.

good grief don't overreact or anything. God forbid anyone want to find positive things to talk about regarding their favorite sports team

Reactions: 6 people
Odds are most people won't even remember this come October. But hey, let's talk it up like it's the second coming of Neyland for now.

Well, look at it this way:

When CBJ came to UT the first thing he probably noticed was low morale and a group of individuals instead of a team.

The combined record of the seniors on this team is dreadful with 1 winning season between all of them... at best. Most players have only known losing seasons and a dreadful SEC record.

A rebuild like that starts from the bottom. The brick-by-brick and black stripe approach is much more cohesive and approachable for the team and likely the public than "Opportunity is nowhere", Nazi metaphors and orange dog.

This alone isn't guaranteeing a win, absolutely true. However, if this gels the team more than not doing it, this could pay dividends in the long run when we're going into a crucial November after a brutal October.

As CBJ said "Players don't win Championships, teams win Championships."

What I also love about this idea, and the big brother idea, is that it doesn't have the older players looking at the younger players like they are inferior, or that they don't belong. It's a mentoring, team-centered relationship. I like it a lot.

Reactions: 6 people
I tried to guess who earned their stripe prior to reading the thread and I was wrong, guessed North. It's encouraging to see a defensive player win the first stripe, congratulations Cam, I know your hustle earned that stripe!:rock: :pepper:

It is.

Some people on this site are so negative you could put them in a dark room and they would develop. :banghead2:

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back