'24 FL CB Cai Bates (FSU Commit)

But was it not you that told another user they had no idea what they were talking about after they said there would be no coaching changes? You seemed to hint that WM would be fired. Forgive me if that was someone else.
He was never going to be fired. He was weighing retirement. If he chooses to be back he will be.

Martinez leaving doesn’t fix the secondary period. If you have issues with technique yes that on CWM. Issues with the coverage or safety play? Well that’s on Banks. The thing no one seems to want to accept is our talent is suboptimal; you’ve got Hadden who was the only player with experience, speed, and talent to play at this level.

It’s ironic that fans bitching about the ineptness of the coaching staff is the very thing that will prevent us from landing talent that will allow the staff to field a better defense. In other words STFU about the staff in the recruiting forum or go bitch about it in the FF with the other peasants.

Reactions: All_Vol87
But was it not you that told another user they had no idea what they were talking about after they said there would be no coaching changes? You seemed to hint that WM would be fired. Forgive me if that was someone else.
Yep. Willies contract is up and I heard he wasn’t coming back. Things change but he hasn’t been extended yet. His contract is up January 31, 2024 and he is one of the few who didn’t get extended last year.

I’ll still stick with he isn’t coming back until that changes.

He was never going to be fired. He was weighing retirement. If he chooses to be back he will be.

Martinez leaving doesn’t fix the secondary period. If you have issues with technique yes that on CWM. Issues with the coverage or safety play? Well that’s on Banks. The thing no one seems to want to accept is our talent is suboptimal; you’ve got Hadden who was the only player with experience, speed, and talent to play at this level.

It’s ironic that fans bitching about the ineptness of the coaching staff is the very thing that will prevent us from landing talent that will allow the staff to field a better defense. In other words STFU about the staff in the recruiting forum or go bitch about it in the FF with the other peasants.

Don't know if that last paragraph is aimed toward me, but if it is I don't know why, because I agree with you haha I was asking Smyrna why he changed from confirming there would be staff changes in the quote below to another user to now saying it is just his opinion that there should be changes.

You have no idea what you’re talking about. Had to read it all day yesterday too. We will see some changes to the staff, it’s coming.

Don't know if that last paragraph is aimed toward me, but if it is I don't know why, because I agree with you haha I was asking Smyrna why he changed from confirming there would be staff changes in the quote below to another user to now saying it is just his opinion that there should be changes.
Whoa whoa… why does this place do this all the time? I didn’t say anything different. Literally not one word. I said Willie is gone and he is at the end of January. I was told he is likely gone. And that hasn’t changed.

I did not back track at all. Don’t put words in my mouth.

Reactions: VolNash17
Whoa whoa… why does this place do this all the time? I didn’t say anything different. Literally not one word. I said Willie is gone and he is at the end of January. I was told he is likely gone. And that hasn’t changed.

I apologize, I read the below quote wrong. Thought you meant it was speculation that Willie wasn't coming back, but I see now you meant it is speculation that he is staying. I was wrong.

I’m choosing to believe Heupel is not going to do that and it’s speculation.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
Wasn’t really directed at you. Was simply adding on to your post. I’m quite possibly just rambling and bitching about other people bitching. Excuse me while I go outside and scream at some clouds for a min. 😂

Reactions: JoeyVols32
or, and stay with me for a second, the coaches coached up the players who were here, just like they would any player they recruited, and the result is that the older guys with SEC experience, more time in the weight room, more time in the system, and the coaching are better right now than a true freshman who wasn't even here for the spring.

You guys need to stop acting like any freshman who doesn't come in and play at an all SEC level will be trash, or is considered a disappointment, or the coaches cant recruit. you guys cherry pick from 22 different schools to make up a fictional team of all freshman starters and wonder why we can't be like that. Georgia who recruits the best still only has 1 freshman in the 2 deep on offense, and 2 on defense. even going to second year guys you add 2 on offense, and 4 on defense. 2023 Georgia Bulldogs Football Depth Chart | Ourlads.com

Plenty of young difference makers who you can tell already will be good players/difference makers.

Pearce is a difference maker.
White is a difference maker.
Elijah Herring was our leading tackler, I would consider that a difference maker.
Sampson would start at multiple SEC schools

Then you have all the guys who aren't starting or getting significant snaps who still look pretty good.
Josephs, Hobbs (I think he got hurt), West (injured for most of the year), Webb, the freshman TE before he got hurt Davis, Telander, Carter before he got injured, Nimrod.

Lots of injuries keeping guys down.
Elijah herring a difference maker? Lmao what in the world. Look at Bama and Georgia’s defenses. Those guys are difference makers. Elite speed, size, strength and power across the board. Elijah Herring is a Sun belt player

Elijah herring a difference maker? Lmao what in the world. Look at Bama and Georgia’s defenses. Those guys are difference makers. Elite speed, size, strength and power across the board. Elijah Herring is a Sun belt player
Herring was always going to be a guy that needed to develop and probably wouldn't truly be ready until he was a redshirt sophomore. He's had to play out of necessity and has been slowed by some undisclosed injuries. Our fans are too hard on the guy. Don't be surprised if he takes a big leap forward this offseason. It takes some guys longer to develop, and if we pushed aside every player that wasn't great as a true sophomore...then there would be a ton of great players we wouldn't know.

Still nothing set in stone yet. If he’s not back it will be bc he chose to be gone.

Still nothing set in stone yet. If he’s not back it will be bc he chose to be gone.
Lol.

Do you think they chose to extend other defensive staff members last year and not him by accident?

They made a point to extend some but forgot about ole Willie?

Lol.

Do you think they chose to extend other defensive staff members last year and not him by accident?

They made a point to extend some but forgot about ole Willie?
You have less than any idea wtf you’re talking about. There was a reason he wasn’t extended, had zero to do with performance. Again nothing is set in stone but he’s back if he wants to be. If not a succession plan is already in place to likely promote within.

You have less than any idea wtf you’re talking about. There was a reason he wasn’t extended, had zero to do with performance. Again nothing is set in stone but he’s back if he wants to be. If not a succession plan is already in place to likely promote within.
Well if you say so! I thought that I may for a second. Glad you clarified.

Please elaborate on why he wasn’t extended.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deebowbear
Not a chance. I would rather have a Darnell than Hadden. We could be exactly the same as the 2022 team in 2024.

Plus we should start Boo and Slaughter at safety. Gibson and most likely a transfer start at corner. Maybe Conyer or Matthews takes a step too. I doubt he would start here next year anyways. Season will….
yeah that's fair. I'm just saying in context that we've already done alright in O-Line recruiting, but man do we need talent on the DB side, and I honestly think that gets overlooked. It doesn't feel like we've recruiting very well in that area in the past few years. And as it stands, it doesn't look like there are a lot of DBs in the transfer portal (that could change obviously).

Hey boss I agree the only thing I fault secondary staff and maybe banks is that they play veterans over more talented players that could improve our defense and didn't get younger guys reps. At safety they legit played older guys 95% of snaps.

Hey boss I agree the only thing I fault secondary staff and maybe banks is that they play veterans over more talented players that could improve our defense and didn't get younger guys reps. At safety they legit played older guys 95% of snaps.
I’m with you. Safety play has been awful. I think it’s about trust with banks; idk how he can be trusting of guys that get burnt every week but I think that’s the preference. They won’t to allow completions and tighten down when the field gets shorter.

I’m with you. Safety play has been awful. I think it’s about trust with banks; idk how he can be trusting of guys that get burnt every week but I think that’s the preference. They won’t to allow completions and tighten down when the field gets shorter.
Need to plat best player regardless if freshman or senior. Get loyal and bite you in ass

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
If he doesn't lead the team in tackles that means our safeties/secondary would have to make up the difference, which automatically means anywhere from 3-10 yards more a tackle you take away from Herring.

you guys need to be complaining about the rest of the defense being so crappy that the guy you think sucks produced more stats than the rest of them. if there was someone better, they would have taken the job

there were 5 guys who got more snaps than him, and they got fewer tackles than the guy who "is a Sun Belt player". of course playing in the MIDDLE of the field you are going to have more assisted tackles than solo tackles than the guys playing on the outside. thats just how football works.

If he doesn't lead the team in tackles that means our safeties/secondary would have to make up the difference, which automatically means anywhere from 3-10 yards more a tackle you take away from Herring.

you guys need to be complaining about the rest of the defense being so crappy that the guy you think sucks produced more stats than the rest of them. if there was someone better, they would have taken the job

there were 5 guys who got more snaps than him, and they got fewer tackles than the guy who "is a Sun Belt player". of course playing in the MIDDLE of the field you are going to have more assisted tackles than solo tackles than the guys playing on the outside. thats just how football works.

Isn't this true of the rest of the guys on the defense? If they were better options, they wouldn't be playing? Seems you're contradicting yourself

Isn't this true of the rest of the guys on the defense? If they were better options, they wouldn't be playing? Seems you're contradicting yourself
The rest of the guys didn't lead the team in tackling.
the rest of the guys, except for 5, didn't get more snaps.

I have to see any rational argument for how that translates into sucking. Herring apparently sucks because he didn't look like an All-SEC LB his first year starting as a sophomore.

The rest of the guys didn't lead the team in tackling.
the rest of the guys, except for 5, didn't get more snaps.

I have to see any rational argument for how that translates into sucking. Herring apparently sucks because he didn't look like an All-SEC LB his first year starting as a sophomore.

Banks was terrible. He also lead the team in tackles. Tackles are a very overrated stat

Reactions: mr.checkerboards

VN Store

Back