'24 FL CB Cai Bates (FSU Commit)

the reason those other guys looked good is because they played limited reps and you only noticed their good plays. Herring was out there more than anyone else, oh course he has a higher number of busts; but unless you have some real good stats that says he had the highest bust RATE its not even an argument. and maybe the reason you think he looked like a fish out of water was because he was out there all the time, the rest of the guys came in for a series and then went away. they got to play for their strengths were coached up for specific situations and did a single task and stayed fresh. with Herring he was ALWAYS out there. He had 73 tackles. most on the team. if he was out of position and too slow to play how did he LEAD THE TEAM? It might be a tallest midget or prettiest Bama fan situation; but none of those other guys took over and did better. Even Beasley. seems like if Herring was such a big liability someone else would have had to cover for him and would have lead in tackles.

and again if a full time starter, even if due to injury, and team leader in tackles, is considered a failure I have no idea what you expect. in my book that counts as a difference maker. you would have an argument if he didn't produce in the roll, but he did.
The majority of his tackles were assisted meaning someone else made the play.
The kid is too slow to play at this level.

Elijah had “the most total tackles”, but only 29 of those were solo. He was a difference maker, but he played all season so yes he inadvertently did make a difference. That’s just lack of selection, doesn’t mean that he should be in there. That D II rb from Missouri had him on skates all game. That’s when it really stood out for me. To your point, yes a lot of injuries keeping guys down. Herring wouldn’t have seen the field if Pili hadn’t gotten hurt
I looked at the tackles he did not make because he made the wrong decision about his responsibilities in the defensive schemes. Go back and look where opposing teams make their biggest plays. Most were on the left-outside of our defense and often he was out of position and did not protect his position. This resulted in him being a step behind Which resulted in missed tackles and big plays by the offense. Hopefully, another offseason will allow him to make his decisions more quickly result in a much improved 2024 season. He has the talent to become a reallly good player.

Elijah had “the most total tackles”, but only 29 of those were solo. He was a difference maker, but he played all season so yes he inadvertently did make a difference. That’s just lack of selection, doesn’t mean that he should be in there. That D II rb from Missouri had him on skates all game. That’s when it really stood out for me. To your point, yes a lot of injuries keeping guys down. Herring wouldn’t have seen the field if Pili hadn’t gotten hurt

That D-II rb from Mizzou led the league in rushing and was #2 in the country in rushing yards.

I know I’m gonna get flamed for this but I would rather have this kid over the five star OL we’re pursuing. I was looking at the depth chart and I think nearly every starter this year was a senior.

And I know it isn’t “either or” with this kid and Seaton, I’m just trying to emphasize the importance of getting more DB help with our depth.

I know I’m gonna get flamed for this but I would rather have this kid over the five star OL we’re pursuing. I was looking at the depth chart and I think nearly every starter this year was a senior.

And I know it isn’t “either or” with this kid and Seaton, I’m just trying to emphasize the importance of getting more DB help with our depth.
Not a chance. I would rather have a Darnell than Hadden. We could be exactly the same as the 2022 team in 2024.

Plus we should start Boo and Slaughter at safety. Gibson and most likely a transfer start at corner. Maybe Conyer or Matthews takes a step too. I doubt he would start here next year anyways. Season will….

Not a chance. I would rather have a Darnell than Hadden. We could be exactly the same as the 2022 team in 2024.

Plus we should start Boo and Slaughter at safety. Gibson and most likely a transfer start at corner. Maybe Conyer or Matthews takes a step too. I doubt he would start here next year anyways. Season will….

Def not gonna be as good as ‘22 team. That would mean Nico is competing for a Heisman trophy as a RS Fr.

HH was special. Also don’t see a Hyatt on the team. Someone would have to take a major leap.

yep agree-

We should certainly be able to get an upgrade in the secondary from the portal-- that may be one of the easiest fixes per the portal... if our staff will just do it. I hope they surprise me, but with this talk of Willie potentially staying, I have less and less confidence our staff is gonna get things done on the D side of the ball.

I looked at the tackles he did not make because he made the wrong decision about his responsibilities in the defensive schemes. Go back and look where opposing teams make their biggest plays. Most were on the left-outside of our defense and often he was out of position and did not protect his position. This resulted in him being a step behind Which resulted in missed tackles and big plays by the offense. Hopefully, another offseason will allow him to make his decisions more quickly result in a much improved 2024 season. He has the talent to become a reallly good player.
It’s not his decision making alone that make him slow. He’s just slow. Watch the Missouri game again and tell me I’m wrong with a straight face. He’s not fast enough to play in this conference at Lber.

Reactions: Volunteer821
yep agree-

We should certainly be able to get an upgrade in the secondary from the portal-- that may be one of the easiest fixes per the portal... if our staff will just do it. I hope they surprise me, but with this talk of Willie potentially staying, I have less and less confidence our staff is gonna get things done on the D side of the ball.
I’m choosing to believe Heupel is not going to do that and it’s speculation.

Reactions: volinbama256
I’m choosing to believe Heupel is not going to do that and it’s speculation.

But was it not you that told another user they had no idea what they were talking about after they said there would be no coaching changes? You seemed to hint that WM would be fired. Forgive me if that was someone else.

Turrentine will get first crack at safety.

Def not gonna be as good as ‘22 team. That would mean Nico is competing for a Heisman trophy as a RS Fr.

HH was special. Also don’t see a Hyatt on the team. Someone would have to take a major leap.
Thornton was coming to life right when we lost him. It kind of took the wind out of our sails against Missouri because it seemed like Joe and he had developed some chemistry on the outside.

VN Store

Back