Forgive Student Loans?

Most useless degree field ever created from my experience in coming across them in engineering. It’s a horrible attempt at replacing actual career experience and wisdom with a crash course of how others succeeded without the students actually being in the situations they studied and performing under pressure. The ones I dealt with largely should have gotten the MSEE/ME/AE and if they wanted to be a manger then get on the career manager track in the office. All the good managers I dealt with went that route.

Yep, they usually duck up everything they touch.

Reactions: AM64
We’ve been through this before here, there’s no upside to paying tens of thousands to the government when payments (and interest) are paused and no one is asking for it. Law school loans are another level, I paid down from around 170K to 80-90K in about a year and a half and then payments were paused. The second they restart I’ll be loan-free.
Holy cow you're now claiming to be a lawyer?

I've seen lawyers with logic skills like yours. They get made fun of by the successful folks I know for being the McDonald's of legal representation, cheap and ineffective.

Really driving home the point that postgrad education is a waste here.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Yep, they usually duck up everything they touch.
From my own experience in engineering they brought little to the table. And BSEng with MBA was always such a pushed degree, and largely still is, but I just saw case after case where the young kid learning OJT vs a MBA straight out of college, the OJT just tended to smoke them. Admittedly these are all young engineers. Pretty damn intelligent to begin with anyway.

Reactions: AM64 and hog88
From my own experience in engineering they brought little to the table. And BSEng with MBA was always such a pushed degree, and largely still is, but I just saw case after case where the young kid learning OJT vs a MBA straight out of college, the OJT just tended to smoke them. Admittedly these are all young engineers. Pretty damn intelligent to begin with anyway.

Absolutely agree. The straight out of school MBA is a terror wanting to put their stamp on something, anything. The person who got their MBA for advancement after working knows the game.

You must have your MBA because you can’t understand simple straightforward conversations.
It would have been easier to just answer. Can two parties agree to change the terms of an agreement after the initial agreement has been signed?

It never ceases to amaze me that so many idiots are able to make it through professional schools and training. Heck, there are plenty of doctors around that I wouldn't take my neighbor's cat to.... and I hate cats.
It's all about:
1) the money
2) the money
3) keeping up graduation rates for rankings
4) not offending people that really should have no shot at those programs (reducing the value for all)
5) the money

The number of incompetent boobs that got into the professional MBA program I was in was shocking. Three of us went to the dean about it for an honest discussion about the program. He flat told us he understood but the school needed the revenue and the numbers for that program.

Reactions: AM64
Of course why is that hard for you to understand?
It's not. I was just wanting to clarify. Some on here seem to think that if a person took out a student loan, they should pay it off according to the original terms or they are some kind of loser deadbeat. Terms can and do change.

It would have been easier to just answer. Can two parties agree to change the terms of an agreement after the initial agreement has been signed?

there should be some quid pro quo - if all the sudden the governments says we know you agree to pay taxes to live in this country but we've just decided to exempt people named Luther that's a hand out to Luthers.

Absolutely agree. The straight out of school MBA is a terror wanting to put their stamp on something, anything. The person who got their MBA for advancement after working knows the game.

I’ve got one, and I got it after a few years of work experience. I came out and was hired by a pretty well known consulting firm, where I quickly realized that I didn’t know squat.

The material was much easier than my hard science undergrad degree. It was more difficult because it required you to quickly learn time management. First year was all about weeding people out.

My assessment of it was it’s a great foot in the door early in your career. Experience is 10x better than the degree, but most companies would rather hire the degree than invest in the experience, which is silly, because they end up paying more for less experience.

Once you’re a few years into your career nobody cares what degrees you got. You either deliver or you don’t.

It's not. I was just wanting to clarify. Some on here seem to think that if a person took out a student loan, they should pay it off according to the original terms or they are some kind of loser deadbeat. Terms can and do change.
But should the person expect to have the loan paid off by a unwilling third party?

if they believe they shouldn't have to pay it off and lobby for forgiveness they are approaching deadbeat status. If the government offers to give them something they aren't a deadbeat for taking it but it's still a handout

I’ve got one, and I got it after a few years of work experience. I came out and was hired by a pretty well known consulting firm, where I quickly realized that I didn’t know squat.

The material was much easier than my hard science undergrad degree. It was more difficult because it required you to quickly learn time management. First year was all about weeding people out.

My assessment of it was it’s a great foot in the door early in your career. Experience is 10x better than the degree, but most companies would rather hire the degree than invest in the experience, which is silly, because they end up paying more for less experience.

Once you’re a few years into your career nobody cares what degrees you got. You either deliver or you don’t.
Exactly what I did. I was about a year into my job when I started mine. And I really only did it because all-in it was less than $20k, I could afford it, and I could see explicitly in our contracts the rates that little checked box for MBA-holding personnel commanded.

VN Store

Back