Forgive Student Loans?

we target people with 5+ years work experience and aim to help them gain awareness and appreciation for how the entire organization fits together rather than any functional area.

we don't want students right out of UG or with no significant work experience

our alumni and their employers are pleased - maybe y'all should have come here

No, not at all. You gave a like to one of the most despicable posts I have ever seen. Puts you squarely in his corner. Makes you as big a POS as he is. Own it looth.

Luther thinks he is open minded and reasonable but in reality is one of the bigger loons I have ever discussed politics with and I work in education which is saying a lot

not to be nosy but was all that 170K government loan programs?

Doesn’t look like my response went through but yes, for grad school a good chunk was Grad PLUS loans at higher interest rates that I paid off first and the rest was Stafford loans from undergrad and (mostly) grad school. I think each year the Stafford loan cap was $19,500 and everything above that was Grad PLUS. Top law schools are 65-70K in tuition per year and more like 80-90K total cost of attendance, but you get some shaved off in merit scholarships

Reactions: volinbham
Doesn’t look like my response went through but yes, for grad school a good chunk was Grad PLUS loans at higher interest rates that I paid off first and the rest was Stafford loans from undergrad and (mostly) grad school. I think each year the Stafford loan cap was $19,500 and everything above that was Grad PLUS. Top law schools are 65-70K in tuition per year and more like 80-90K total cost of attendance, but you get some shaved off in merit scholarships

It's crazy to me that the government loans that amount of money to individuals.

And if the juice isn't worth the squeeze then don't do it. I don't understand why this is hard. Don't get a loan for a degree you can't, or don't want to, pay back. It's that simple.

Over the last decade + I have seen MBAs duck up more good deals and business relationships than be beneficial to their employers. When I see MBA on someone’s signature line my first thought is “working with this guy is going to suck”.
Back in the day I caught grief a time or two from some of the chemists I worked with because they graduated from Vanderbilt and my degree was from Tenn State….. when I pointed out that my degree was free and I was working alongside them making the same money the wheels quickly fell off of their argument.

Had friend that was very frugal. When he went to med school he borrowed more than needed given his savings and invested a good chunk. Since interest is deferred when it came time to start making payments he sold the investments, paid the note and had a tidy sum of earnings.
Good, now he can pay for all the losers.

Teach your MBA students that the book doesn’t cover everything and what’s working doesn’t need to be changed.

That’s one thing I don’t understand about some businesses. If you’re constantly changing just for the sake of change you’re never going to get good at anything. I suppose the bean counters need something to do though.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and AM64
we target people with 5+ years work experience and aim to help them gain awareness and appreciation for how the entire organization fits together rather than any functional area.

That’s all very good, especially the 5+ years of work experience requirement. I’m not poo pooing the MBA. I’m happy with mine, but my perspective on it has changed a lot over time. I used to encourage people to go that route if they asked, but I don’t do that anymore.

Maybe it’s from more experience and just getting older. Today I would never opt for two years of formal education over two additional years of experience. I thought the summer internship alone was more valuable than all the book learning.

It’s not the system we have, but I wish companies had two year intern programs that were seen as more valuable than two years of general business education.

FWIW, for those who ask my advice before heading off to business school today this is usually what I tell them:

- Learn the P&L. Pay attention in accounting and finance. No matter where you end up (as in what area of the company), understanding how what you do affects the P&L is the key to success. He who understands the P&L better años wins most arguments.

- Learn statistics. In fact, double down here. And couple it with some electives in data science. Companies collect un fathomable amounts of data these days, but nobody knows what to do with it. Be the person who can work in marketing and truly interpret and understand what an A/B test is telling you. Or the guy in planning who can spot the issues with a statistical demand model. Be the person who can take a contrarian position than the flock and defend it up with solid data. You’ll be able to make your own career path.

That’s one thing I don’t understand about some businesses. If you’re constantly changing just for the sake of change you’re never going to get good at anything. I suppose the bean counters need something to do though.

It's justifying a position. If a manager isn't changing anything, then the question becomes why is he/she needed? It's one of our major business failings; the uninitiated doing the unnecessary, and screwing up what was working.

Reactions: C-south
That’s all very good, especially the 5+ years of work experience requirement. I’m not poo pooing the MBA. I’m happy with mine, but my perspective on it has changed a lot over time. I used to encourage people to go that route if they asked, but I don’t do that anymore.

Maybe it’s from more experience and just getting older. Today I would never opt for two years of formal education over two additional years of experience. I thought the summer internship alone was more valuable than all the book learning.

It’s not the system we have, but I wish companies had two year intern programs that were seen as more valuable than two years of general business education.

FWIW, for those who ask my advice before heading off to business school today this is usually what I tell them:

- Learn the P&L. Pay attention in accounting and finance. No matter where you end up (as in what area of the company), understanding how what you do affects the P&L is the key to success. He who understands the P&L better años wins most arguments.

- Learn statistics. In fact, double down here. And couple it with some electives in data science. Companies collect un fathomable amounts of data these days, but nobody knows what to do with it. Be the person who can work in marketing and truly interpret and understand what an A/B test is telling you. Or the guy in planning who can spot the issues with a statistical demand model. Be the person who can take a contrarian position than the flock and defend it up with solid data. You’ll be able to make your own career path.

The last part is the most important. Be the person who asks why it's not a good idea, to question the data, and to question why you should do something - particularly what may go wrong. Always question change.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

That sounds like a very good setup.

Reactions: AM64
Yoiu sure like to bring up Jesus a lot while supporting slaughtering babies in the womb, unlimited sexual depravity and mental illness, drug use, lawlessnes..etc.

So you can stick your opinion up you vag.

Oh, I'm a godless heathen. But that doesn't mean I can't point out the hypocrisy in all the "good Christians" on here who act as anything but.

Reactions: Orangeburst

VN Store

Back