France is Burning

So the committee's purpose was to indoctrinate the children in the audience?
Umm .. it’s a worldwide platform.. it’s the Olympics 😂 I know plenty of parents that were watching with their kids as ‘hey a fun family event’ .. which normally opening ceremonies is.. and were not pleased or turned it off when they saw where it was going

Umm .. it’s a worldwide platform.. it’s the Olympics 😂 I know plenty of parents that were watching with their kids as ‘hey a fun family event’ .. which normally opening ceremonies is.. and were not pleased or turned it off when they saw where it was going
Not surprising

There was a lot of weird. The best parts, imo, were Gojira/Marie Antoinette and Celine's performance. The athletes arriving on the boats was cool, too.

The Marie Antoinette scene was my favorite part.

The first visual of her in the window holding her head as it sang was surreal.
It seems like a bunch of decapitated women holding their own heads would be scarier and more troubling for a child to see than a bunch of drag queens sitting around a table.

Last edited:

It seems like seeing a bunch of decapitated women holding their own heads would be scarier and more troubling for a child to see than a bunch of drag queens sitting around a table.
I get your point on the Marie Antoinette visuals, but it worked so well with the metal.

Reactions: EasternVol

It seems like a bunch of decapitated women holding their own heads would be scarier and more troubling for a child to see than a bunch of drag queens sitting around a table.

That was kind of disturbing as well. I get it is engrained in their culture but the imagery just seemed like it belong in Diablo or Doom video series and not the Olympics.

What about all of the time spent on Notre Dame Cathedral and the ringing of the bells?

Too much "religion" being forced on viewers around the world who are not Catholics/Christians?

Should there be outrage?
Ah yes, I keep forgetting how hearing a ringing bell immediately transforms the listener into a Christian, even against their will 🙄
If the Olympics were being held in an Islamic country, I would not be offended in the least to hear the call to prayer five times a day.

Reactions: LadyVolette
Ah yes, I keep forgetting how hearing a ringing bell immediately transforms the listener into a Christian, even against their will 🙄
If the Olympics were being held in an Islamic country, I would not be offended in the least to hear the call to prayer five times a day.
What if the Islamic country both celebrated Islam at one point and had a little irreverent fun at Islam's expense at another point?

Horrible? Great? Somewhere in between?

But I doubt the organizer would have been granted the artistic freedom.

What if the Islamic country both celebrated Islam at one point and had a little irreverent fun at Islam's expense at another point?

In an international Event like the Olympics, there is no logical incongruity between simultaneously a) allowing your local religious displays and events to continue uninterrupted and b) refrain from mocking or in any way denigrating the faith of others. I cannot fathom why the French Organizers somehow found themselves incapable of meeting these two simple guidelines.

Why wouldn't they be granted that freedom?

In an international Event like the Olympics, there is no logical incongruity between simultaneously a) allowing your local religious displays and events to continue uninterrupted and b) refrain from mocking or in any way denigrating the faith of others. I cannot fathom why the French Organizers somehow found themselves incapable of meeting these two simple guidelines.
LOL.....they were more than capable, they just didn't agree with your two simple guidelines.

LOL.....they were more than capable, they just didn't agree with your two simple guidelines.
Any civilized nation should be quite willing to do so. Why mock ANYONE else’s faith? It is uncourteous, rude, and petty. You can hardly do something more dehumanizing to an individual than to ridicule their most cherished beliefs. It is okay to discuss with someone why you think their faith is wrong as long as you are respectful. But to just poke fun at someone’s beliefs is just barbaric IMO.

Any civilized nation should be quite willing to do so. Why mock ANYONE else’s faith? It is uncourteous, rude, and petty. You can hardly do something more dehumanizing to an individual than to ridicule their most cherished beliefs. It is okay to discuss with someone why you think their faith is wrong as long as you are respectful. But to just poke fun at someone’s beliefs is just barbaric IMO.

Maybe the Olympic committee will eventually choose an African or middle eastern country to host. They can simulate mutilating a women or beheading some homosexuals during opening ceremonies. In an artistic fashion of course.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
Maybe the Olympic committee will eventually choose an African or middle eastern country to host. They can simulate mutilating a women or beheading some homosexuals during opening ceremonies. In an artistic fashion of course.
LOL

VN Store

Back