Fulmer speaks out

Again, why can you not grasp the simple concept that just because Mike Hamilton messed up the hires in 09/10 doesn't mean Fulmer didn't deserve to be fired.

In hindsight, Fulmer should have gotten one more year but for one reason only. It didn't appear that Hamilton had done his due diligence in finding a solid replacement. If he did, he was too late in starting that process. I can't imagine Fulmer doing any worse than what we've seen the past five years. If you give him another year, it buys you some time to start courting potential candidates and send Fulmer off with class.

Reactions: 2 people
Ummmm you mean 2 losing seasons out of 16, 2 SEC Titles, 2 Trips to the NC game, 1 crystal ball, 6 East Titles, 152-52, HOF inductee...

Checkmate

No it was two losing seasons in four. Nice try though. When did Tenneessee play for two national titles? Please don't tell me you're counting the '98 Orange Bowl. Bobby Bowden has a more impressive résumé, he was forced out. Lloyd Carr pretty much has the same résumé and he was told to gtfo. Same thing will happen to Mack Brown this year if Texas struggles again. That's what happens at big time programs, people are held accountable for the results they produce.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Interesting...

What was his record against Georgia?

How many conference championships did we win with him?

What was his record with all the returning starters (and Jamal Lewis) from the NC team?

How many highly ranked QB recruits did he sign?

How many times did he lose to Vanderbilt?

9-3 is nothing to scoff at, especially after losing the likes of Al Wilson, Shawn Bryson, Peerless Price, and Jermaine Copeland.

Yeah, he didn't beat Georgia much, but he still beat them more than Cut beat Florida.

I'll give you that one, but the losing to Auburn by 10 is not terrible. Yes, losing to LSU was not good.

How many times did Cut lose to MEMPHIS?

Clausen was a Parade All-American. And if you want to make the argument he wasn't high caliber, I then say look what Sanders did with him in college. Ainge was a 4*, #11 qb according to Rivals. Crompton was a 4*, #2 ranked qb according to Yahoo.

No it was two losing seasons in four. Nice try though. When did Tenneessee play for two national titles? Please don't tell me you're counting the '98 Orange Bowl. Bobby Bowden has a more impressive résumé, he was forced out. Lloyd Carr pretty much has the same résumé and he was told to gtfo. Same thing will happen to Mack Brown this year if Texas struggles again. That's what happens at big time programs, people are held accountable for the results they produce.

I would put my life on it that if Mack goes 5-7 this year he won't be fired, and I miss clicked on the 2 and meant to put 1, as in 1 NC trip/1 Crystal ball. Bobby Bowdon was much older then Phil also, the dude was almost 80 when he retired.

Last edited:
In hindsight, Fulmer should have gotten one more year but for one reason only. It didn't appear that Hamilton had done his due diligence in finding a solid replacement. If he did, he was too late in starting that process. I can't imagine Fulmer doing any worse than what we've seen the past five years. If you give him another year, it buys you some time to start courting potential candidates and send Fulmer off with class.

He could have easily hired Brian Kelly or Gary Patterson. He had all the time he needed. He just bought into Kiffin's recruiting plan and the idea that Monte would be coming too.

I would put my life on it that if Mack goes 5-7 this year he won't be fired, and I miss clicked on the 2 and meant to put 1, as in 1 NC trip/1 Crystal ball. Bobby Bowdon was much older then Phil also, the dude was almost 80 when he retired.

I don't know, people are pretty pissed with Mack at the moment. It's been a disaster ever since they lost to Alabama in the titles game. Four consecutive poor seasons in Austin will get you shown the door.

I don't know, people are pretty pissed with Mack at the moment. It's been a disaster ever since they lost to Alabama in the titles game. Four consecutive poor seasons in Austin will get you shown the door.

Naw, now two more bad seasons and I could see them (Forcing him to retire).

I think a coach deserves 3 chances, Phil had two chances, I will always believe he deserved one more year, and if he won less then eight games, then it was time to let him go. Hell, even Dooley got 3 chances.

Naw, now two more bad seasons and I could see them (Forcing him to retire).

I think a coach deserves 3 chances, Phil had two chances, I will always believe he deserved one more year, and if he won less then eight games, then it was time to let him go. Hell, even Dooley got 3 chances.

Coacho Ocho

9-3 is nothing to scoff at, especially after losing the likes of Al Wilson, Shawn Bryson, Peerless Price, and Jermaine Copeland.

Yeah, he didn't beat Georgia much, but he still beat them more than Cut beat Florida.

I'll give you that one, but the losing to Auburn by 10 is not terrible. Yes, losing to LSU was not good.

How many times did Cut lose to MEMPHIS?

Clausen was a Parade All-American. And if you want to make the argument he wasn't high caliber, I then say look what Sanders did with him in college. Ainge was a 4*, #11 qb according to Rivals. Crompton was a 4*, #2 ranked qb according to Yahoo.

9-3 with the 1999 team is a poor result, sorry. Just look at all the talent that was still on that team.

Well, if we're saying it's a mark of quality whenever someone beats a team more than Cutcliffe beat Florida, then I guess everybody is a great coach.

I don't care if you lost to Auburn by 10 or 100. The result is the same. 7 years. No championship.

Yeah, Cutcliffe losing to Memphis is also indefensible. Doesn't make Sanders a good coach though.

Was Clausen really highly touted coming out of high school? At the time, I don't recall anybody talking him up. Signing a #11 QB is nothing to brag about when you're one of the top programs in the SEC. I forgot about Crompton. Man, what a miss that guy was.

Yep.

What he doesn't deserve is a lifetime contract.

Coaches age. They slip. And when they prove that they can't compete with the big boys anymore, it's time to let them go. Why can't you people move on already?

I never said he deserved a lifetime contract or even expressed an opinion about his firing. Reading some of these posts that are dogging him for this and that shows that some people lack the ability to respect the coach that brought to the pinnacle of college football.

As for the moving on part, I am excited with CBJ and his staff and look forward to seeing us be competitive again.

2007 was a solid year, but what about 2008? And with the exception of Tajh Boyd and DJ Swearinger, his 2009 class would have been a disaster.

Record wise it was solid. Not so much when you look at detail. Blowout losses in three of the big four games raise a red flag. Of course, there were so many red flags between 2001 and 2008, I lost count

Ahhh, the former Warden speaks again. Still bitter that the Good Ole Boys Club got taken down that propped him and his gangsters up?

He did not leave.

He was asked to retire. He refused. He was asked to resign. He refused. He played his cards right. He got much more for being fired than he would have had he retired like they wanted.

He did get 6,000,000 in extra funds. He probably would have gotten only 2-4 had he retired.

Do you know him personally?

Last edited:
Horse nuggets

Fulmer built UT football

Without him, we would only have 5 National Championships

It's kind of off topic, but I was watching a replay of the 98 Florida game the other day. I found it kind of silly that several times during that broadcast, they made it out like winning that game would be the biggest win in UT history, even going as far as to ask Fulmer that very question in the postgame. Disgraceful.

VN Store

Back