Fulmer speaks out

Horse nuggets

Fulmer built UT football

Without him, we would only have 5 National Championships

Dude no one gives a crap about what we did in WW2, rival fans laugh when we bring up those titles and no one besides us even recognize those NC the NCAA doesn't. The only one that is unanimous is the one Fulmer won.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
His recruiting had become very inconsistent when younger, hungrier coaches came on the scene. He'd have a good class and then he'd finish outside the top 20 the next year. It was up and down. Plus it didn't help that he started having a lot of attrition. Some say he got lazy and just depended on outside rankings instead of doing his own evaluations. Who knows but something definitely happened. He was still getting some good "pieces" here and there like an Eric Berry or a Jerod Mayo but he wasn't filling his rosters top to bottom with the kind of quality depth he'd enjoyed in earlier years.

Hungrier than Fulmer? That's not likely..

I'm just saying that he wasn't as bad as people say he was. Clawson was a bad choice, no denying that.

actually the bad choice was Fulmer not letting Clawson bring in his guys who knew his offense...so Clawson had to teach the coaches and the players at the same time...that was the mistake...Fulmer was loyal to a fault sometimes with his assistants

actually the bad choice was Fulmer not letting Clawson bring in his guys who knew his offense...so Clawson had to teach the coaches and the players at the same time...that was the mistake...Fulmer was loyal to a fault sometimes with his assistants

This!!! X1000

The man lived and breathed Tennessee football, he won a ton of games and a NC! He earned and deserves respect. Some of y'all are a little full of yourselves, IMHO

+1

Phillip Fulmer > 98% of Vol-nation that have never coached, played football, or been staff for the university of Tennessee football program.

Phillip Fulmer is a TRUE Vol for Life.....!

Reactions: 3 people
You can't say that with any real certainty.

Think about the team he got in 1992. Now think about the team in 2008. That 1992 team was better than any between 2002-2008. He started out on a pretty high mountain. Yes, he took it to a higher one pretty quickly, but then it finished on a mound.

But neither can you.....Didnt Johnny get let go for something too?

Maybe the AD had more academic restrictions than most schools later on.

Just posed some really simple questions that contained some very disturbing facts on the final results of some really big games. How is that bashing him?

BTW, do you care to answer any of the simple questions I have posed?

Your post said no one is bashing him. I could not get past that ludicrous statement. Are you new to this message board?

Really? Blown out by the 3 good teams on the schedule then back into the CG because UGA and UF had tougher conference schedules. Then Cut left and the wheels fell off again.

I appreciate what Fulmer accomplished but the program was headed in the wrong direction. The worst part though is he showed no willingness to take responsibility or admit that HE needed to change what he was doing.

You bleed orange. Of course you wanted to play for UT... but UT can't win much in the SEC if they only sign kids that grow up bleeding orange.

What on earth are you talking about? If you are talking about 2009 then let's look at the players either committed to Fulmer or interested when he was fired. Ten of the 13 never made any kind of significant contribution to the team. Eight of those 10 didn't even complete their eligibility at UT. As I recall, Kiffin told at least 3 of Fulmer's commits to look elsewhere. Phillips a lineman from the Memphis area signed with FSU and quit before the first game. Thigpen from the DC area signed with UCLA and pretty much disappeared. Boyd has had a very nice career at Clemson but was not right for Kiffin's system.

Fulmer's 2008 class was 35th according to Rivals with only four 4* players: Douglas, Abrams-Ward, Gerald Williams, and M Walls. I like Walls and Williams but none of these lived up to a 4* rating. Remember, this is how Fulmer followed up his run to the CG... when he should have been able to draw in some good players. Unfortunately for him, they saw him completely outcoached by Saban and Meyer.

His 2007 class was highly rated and near a complete bust.

I think we SHOULD honor Fulmer's accomplishments but you can do that without living in denial of the clear evidence that the program declined under him following 2002.

Excellent post. Fulmer should have been canned at least 2-3 yrs before they finally got rid of him. He had his chances and blew it.

Reactions: 2 people
I keep laughing at the notion that the last 5 years proves we shouldn't have fired Fulmer; all it proves is the replacement hire has been seriously bungled.

I keep laughing at this ex post facto argument.

It takes Cheech and Chong levels of ganga to get this clueless after five years of cold hard reality.

In case some of you missed it, these post Fulmer years have been the worst years of Tennessee football in living memory.

Saying Hambone just missed out on the General Neyland so it was okay is, again, sack of hammers quality thinking. If Hambone had Gruden ready to step in, was prepared to do things quietly and announce at the end of the year, that's one thing.

Lining up Monte Kiffin's son with a Daddy Clause in his employment contract to replace your HoF bleedin'-Orange Head Football Coach in the middle of the season is the definition of Alabama drooling stupid. And so has the real world outside the back door proven.

+1

Phillip Fulmer > 98% of Vol-nation that have never coached, played football, or been staff for the university of Tennessee football program.

Phillip Fulmer is a TRUE Vol for Life.....!

That's all true. No one is saying any differently. Still doesn't mean he shouldn't have been fired

VN Store

Back