Fulmer speaks out

The man lived and breathed Tennessee football, he won a ton of games and a NC! He earned and deserves respect.

Yep.

What he doesn't deserve is a lifetime contract.

Coaches age. They slip. And when they prove that they can't compete with the big boys anymore, it's time to let them go. Why can't you people move on already?

Reactions: 1 person
Yep.

What he doesn't deserve is a lifetime contract.

Coaches age. They slip. And when they prove that they can't compete with the big boys anymore, it's time to let them go. Why can't you people move on already?

I usually leave these threads alone but sometimes get dragged in by the total lack of respect some show our last HOF coach.

Agree with the "time to let em go" tho. IMO with both Majors and Fulmer it wasn't so much the when...but the how it was conducted.

Dang...just relised that lightning wont strike if you type both Majors and Fulmer in the same sentence.

Last edited:
I usually leave these threads alone but sometimes get dragged in by the total lack of respect some show our last HOF coach.
Pointing out his shortcomings as a coach isn't a lack of respect. Especially when he blames everyone but himself for the downturn

It's not lack of respect. It's simply seeing things for what they are. I love CPF. I'm very appreciative for all he did for our program. But I'm not going to choose to ignore the bad. It's just as much a part of his legacy as the good. Might as well embrace it equally.

Reactions: 2 people
I keep laughing at this ex post facto argument.

It takes Cheech and Chong levels of ganga to get this clueless after five years of cold hard reality.

In case some of you missed it, these post Fulmer years have been the worst years of Tennessee football in living memory.

Saying Hambone just missed out on the General Neyland so it was okay is, again, sack of hammers quality thinking. If Hambone had Gruden ready to step in, was prepared to do things quietly and announce at the end of the year, that's one thing.

Lining up Monte Kiffin's son with a Daddy Clause in his employment contract to replace your HoF bleedin'-Orange Head Football Coach in the middle of the season is the definition of Alabama drooling stupid. And so has the real world outside the back door proven.

What exactly did you say that doesn't agree with what I posted? Again, ALL you have proven is that Hamilton bungled who he replaced Fulmer with.

Or do you not have the mental capacity to understand they are 2 different issues?

I keep laughing at the notion that the last 5 years proves we shouldn't have fired Fulmer; all it proves is the replacement hire has been seriously bungled.

If anything, the university was mismanaged from the top down for a looooooong time, and that includes having appropriate oversight in place during Fulmer's great decline. There is a reason they named the off-season misbehavior award after the man. Then the firing was a mess. The next two hires were a mess. But, God help us, Dave Hart seems to have found a steady footing, and Butch seems capable of building something we can be proud of.

The mismanagement doesn't just relate to football. We have a history of less-than- brillient people using the university as a stepping stone for their ridiculous political careers, and UT suffered for it.

Based on the current improvements in the facilities and what I have been reading in the Torchbearer, it seems like maybe we have found a groove. But it remains to be seen.

I'm not convinced there was a capable president of the University since Ed Bolling, and when I talked to Andy Holt's widow about Ed, she seemed to think the best thing about him was that he was "bull headed."

Long story short, I think Fulmer is correct that UT has had a long history of problems at the administrator level, but I don't think they were working against him. Instead, it seems more likely that they were ignoring him while he skated on by. So, blame them for nonfeasance instead of malfeasance, I guess.

The most interesting thing in the world to me would be an open and frank discussion between Fulmer and Jones comparing and contrasting the support they received from UT administration, and how they have gone about asking for and contributing to that support.

All of this has been rehashed to the point of nausea.. It was definitely lack of leadership.. If the AD and board had any football smarts they would have removed Fulmer after 2005.. It was obvious even to the casual fan that he was losing any edge he ever had. The team was sloppy except the defense.. Chavis saved Phil's bacon more than once in the early 00's..

Time to move on, i wish Phil would.. He's acting as if none of this was his doing..

Pointing out his shortcomings as a coach isn't a lack of respect. Especially when he blames everyone but himself for the downturn

My post was answering "Why can't you people move on already?"

Not pointing fingers but there's alot of disrespect being shown to coach Fulmer in this thread.

Agree with the "time to let em go" tho. IMO with both Majors and Fulmer it wasn't so much the when...but the how it was conducted.

Dang...just relised that lightning wont strike if you type both Majors and Fulmer in the same sentence.

Exactly.

Everyone should do themselves a favor and research Fulmer's record with Cutcliffe as OC and without Cutcliffe as OC.

Randy Sanders had a .702 winning percentage as the OC, 3-4 vs Florida and 5-2 vs Bama. Not too shabby as a Cutcliffe replacement.

Interesting...

What was his record against Georgia?

How many conference championships did we win with him?

What was his record with all the returning starters (and Jamal Lewis) from the NC team?

How many highly ranked QB recruits did he sign?

How many times did he lose to Vanderbilt?

Again, why can you not grasp the simple concept that just because Mike Hamilton messed up the hires in 09/10 doesn't mean Fulmer didn't deserve to be fired.

Should of could of.....doesn't matter, he did though...

Maybe if I was a millionaire, I could drive a Lamborghini.

Last edited:
Should of could of.....doesn't matter, he did though...

Maybe if I was a millionaire, I could drive a Lamborghini.

Ok? Two losing seasons in four, lackluster recruiting, 10 years without a conf title, and an apathetic fanbase. Pretty sure that's going to get any coach at a big time program canned.

Ok? Two losing seasons in four, lackluster recruiting, 10 years without a conf title, and an apathetic fanbase. Pretty sure that's going to get any coach at a big time program canned.

Ummmm you mean 2 losing seasons out of 16, 2 SEC Titles, 1 Trips to the NC game, 1 crystal ball, 6 East Titles, 152-52, HOF inductee...

Checkmate

Last edited:
But neither can you.....Didnt Johnny get let go for something too?

Maybe the AD had more academic restrictions than most schools later on.

Yes Johnny was let go so the doc could remove the knife from his back that Phil stabbed him with!!!

VN Store

Back