Game Thread : Lady Vols at Kentucky,,Sunday 2pm,,SEC Network

Nobody "hates" Harper. She was hired specifically to turn the Vols back into a title contender--to raise the level of the program. She hasn't done that--and, what's more, we've had two terrible recruiting years that alone would be enough to get a coach sacked and that raise /serious/ questions about whether we can even maintain the meh level of this year--much less get back to national contender status. That is the cold truth of the matter.

I have backed Coach Kellie fully all season,,right up to that rant about change/starters...

"I don't like to change things. I'm not big on change. I like to settle in and everybody defines their roles. As long as something is working for us, and right now Jillian [Hollingshead] is playing really well off the bench, that's fine. The starting lineup is not the biggest thing for me. Let's have consistency. Let everyone know their roles and understand what's about to happen. That to me is more important than who's out there first."

Unless I see a retraction to that statement,,,I am sitting on the fence
Hoping to keep my "lean" towards her...but petrified of another Holly Warlick fiasco
She too was adamant about not changing,,,to the point that she ran her staff off

It was only Finley, not her parents, that requested a private meeting with DW. She wanted to know if the university was committed to the staff and that they were committed to NIL for future teammates, not necessarily herself. I don’t think NIL is a big deal to her
I knew I wasn’t crazy, can you find the article cause now I can’t seem to find it.

No way he said she has four more years don't worry commit. It was more like she was in the foreseeable future cause I am quite certain she will be here next season. Were going to learn what that season will look like for her in about two months. I don't think she could survive not making the NCAA so we have to see who stays. Who is coming here? Right now JMO no way she can make the NCAA or more than even SEC record with what is projected to come back right now. Of course a lot can change in that glorious two month portal season hopefully we get huge results.
do not think kellie goes for #1 playing opps next year. that will help maybe not as lsu plays most cupcakes but easyer. even down year ok if she lands more recuits next year. easyer opps non sec will keep ncaa streak going . transfer portal junior college they need few players incase injurys.

I have backed Coach Kellie fully all season,,right up to that rant about change/starters...

"I don't like to change things. I'm not big on change. I like to settle in and everybody defines their roles. As long as something is working for us, and right now Jillian [Hollingshead] is playing really well off the bench, that's fine. The starting lineup is not the biggest thing for me. Let's have consistency. Let everyone know their roles and understand what's about to happen. That to me is more important than who's out there first."

Hoping to keep my "lean" towards her...but petrified of another Holly Warlick fiasco
She too was adamant about not changing,,,to the point that she ran her staff off

Instead of locking onto one sound bite, I challenge you to look at what she's done. If anything, she may change too much. That being said, and as I've said since early in the season, I am going to watch the full season playout supporting CKH and the team. At the conclusion, I'll look back and evaluate the season and the coaching job in its entirety and see which side of the fence I'm on.

NIL won't be as big a factor to every student-athlete, and for different reasons. Some kids may genuinely not care about money, but I imagine kids like that are few and far between. Some kids hail from affluent families and so they don't really need the money. But many, many kids are coming from situations in which the idea of being able to help their Mom out with money, and to find out for the first time themselves what it feels like to have thousands of dollars, is really, REALLY appealing.

I came from a poor family and am 100% positive I would have wanted to help my family financially if I could have done that back then. I cannot expect these kids to somehow set aside how awful it feels to be helplessly poor just "for the love of the game" (as I recently heard someone say) when they can play for a great program AND earn money.

And I'd be seriously considering which place I could get the most money as long as it was legal. Just facts.

NIL won't be as big a factor to every student-athlete, and for different reasons. Some kids may genuinely not care about money, but I imagine kids like that are few and far between. Some kids hail from affluent families and so they don't really need the money. But many, many kids are coming from situations in which the idea of being able to help their Mom out with money, and to find out for the first time themselves what it feels like to have thousands of dollars, is really, REALLY appealing.

I came from a poor family and am 100% positive I would have wanted to help my family financially if I could have done that back then. I cannot expect these kids to somehow set aside how awful it feels to be helplessly poor just "for the love of the game" (as I recently heard someone say) when they can play for a great program AND earn money.

And I'd be seriously considering which place I could get the most money as long as it was legal. Just facts.
Even kids from affluent families would be lured by NIL. I doubt the Cavinders or Azzi Fudd are exactly hurting for money. I mean, maybe the 1% might not be impressed, but your average kid from a well-off family would be more than happy to pocket $25k for themselves, even if their family isn't financially needy.

I don’t know if anyone read the article on her commitment, but I thought it was odd that her and her family requested a meeting with the AD and asked about the coaching situation before committing.

Agreed. As if the premise of an 8th grader committing wasn't strange enough, this whole situation just keeps getting more and more bizarre...

Reactions: Raebo and glv98
That we’re ok with lowering our standards for the next FOUR YEARS because of one commit?
Most Sec wins since 14-15, second winningest coach in SEC last 4 years.
Rooster, how long did it take DS to get things really rolling at SC? 7-8 years?
Don’t look now but standards are on their way up. That one commit is being hailed as a generational talent. At least get some facts to back up the on the floor feet kicking.

Thank you so much!

Finley requested a private meeting with Tennessee athletic director Danny White before her pledge. She asked about the university’s commitment to the women’s basketball coaching staff. She asked about Tennessee’s name, image and likeness opportunities. Not necessarily for herself, but for other recruits.

Finley’s family held an honest conversation about making the decision so early instead of exploring her options. The opportunity to play for Harper, a three-time NCAA champion point guard at Tennessee under legendary coach Pat Summitt, played the largest role.

jordan horston lost former coached before the game she was told. coach rhodes been in horston life since middle school mali posted it on twiter think she her mother someone posted it o facebook.

Dang RIP always hard when you lose a good coach
horston played ok just finding out about david rhodes fromer coach and family friend few hours before wildcat game. people atttack players without knowing what going on in their lifes. look at tk, marta and now jordan coach. not saying what other players have going on.

I've backed off my mid-season calls for KH to be shown the door the last few weeks. They've battled back nicely, and I'll reserve judgment until March is over, but I think the talk of keeping her around for a recruit that won't step foot on The Summitt for four more years is a bit ridiculous.

With this roster we should’ve been able to win 30 in our sleep

She will never get another player like Horston or Jackson, and I’m not counting Chastain because I seriously doubt she’ll be here long enough to get to actually coach her.
Sophomoric member is appropriate. Feeling exceptionally negative tonight?

I definitely noticed. I wasn’t impressed either. She may have been talking directly to her team. That was kinda Pat’s way.

She will never get another player like Horston or Jackson, and I’m not counting Chastain because I seriously doubt she’ll be here long enough to get to actually coach her.
Nothing is ever good enough for some folks.....ehh
Nobody "hates" Harper. She was hired specifically to turn the Vols back into a title contender--to raise the level of the program. She hasn't done that--and, what's more, we've had two terrible recruiting years that alone would be enough to get a coach sacked and that raise /serious/ questions about whether we can even maintain the meh level of this year--much less get back to national contender status. That is the cold truth of the matter.

Damn..some folks are never happy. There us only one champion! Not many other teams are going to win 24 plus games however....

Coach, who did she run off???

Still don’t understand why we aren’t in the top 25
Because they needed to save a spot for Middle Tennessee.

Seriously, no one thinks we are not one of the 25 best teams in the country, nor that we are not better than alot of the ranked teams. But we are paying for always underachieving our predicted rankings and for not beating any ranked teams so far. IMO this will carry over to NCAA seedings. We will absolutely have to beat SC in the SEC champ game to get near a 4 seed and 1st round hosting, and then its not a given. And kinda, we deserve the skepticism.

Last edited:

What did she say that was wrong? Most people don’t like change. She never said she doesn’t adapt to change. And players absolutely play better when they know their roles. She clearly defined roles and stuck with it. As a result, Lady Vols have both sophomore post players playing with confidence going into the tournament. That rant was the result of being asked the same question within a span of a few minutes. Any coach would’ve gotten frustrated with that.

VN Store

Back