Game Thread : Lady Vols at Kentucky,,Sunday 2pm,,SEC Network

That game could have changed so quickly letting a Division 1 team gain momentum. With how poorly this bench has been playing with no starters on the court, having 5 subs in in the first quarter at the same time boarders on Coaching malpractice. Put 2 or 3 subs in with 2 or 3 starters fine, but to go to players you wouldn't play against SC or LSU is a terrible coaching strategy. That 3-4 minutes that they played together and Kentucky went on their run is not going to help this team in the post season this year. If they want to complete 40 minute games of solid defense and offensive execution, they need to play the same 7-8 players they would play against South Carolina in the final of the SEC tournament should we get there. I'm not sure this team knows they can play a full 40 minutes of solid basketball, cause if we get up 8-10 points, Kellie wants to get everyone some minutes. Then she will turn around in the press conference and say, "Just not sure why we can't play a full 40 minutes of basketball." I know the answer coach. Cause you refuse to play the 7-8 players who could actually play a full 40 minute game together for a full 40 minutes to build their chemistry and confidence in doing so.
Dak1219, your post explains why Kellie is a good, but not elite head coach. She wants to give every player some minutes, regardless of the score. She needs to determine who are her best players by position and make substitutions only when necesssary.

Reactions: Deebowbear
That game could have changed so quickly letting a Division 1 team gain momentum. With how poorly this bench has been playing with no starters on the court, having 5 subs in in the first quarter at the same time boarders on Coaching malpractice. Put 2 or 3 subs in with 2 or 3 starters fine, but to go to players you wouldn't play against SC or LSU is a terrible coaching strategy. That 3-4 minutes that they played together and Kentucky went on their run is not going to help this team in the post season this year. If they want to complete 40 minute games of solid defense and offensive execution, they need to play the same 7-8 players they would play against South Carolina in the final of the SEC tournament should we get there. I'm not sure this team knows they can play a full 40 minutes of solid basketball, cause if we get up 8-10 points, Kellie wants to get everyone some minutes. Then she will turn around in the press conference and say, "Just not sure why we can't play a full 40 minutes of basketball." I know the answer coach. Cause you refuse to play the 7-8 players who could actually play a full 40 minute game together for a full 40 minutes to build their chemistry and confidence in doing so.

Nah. It was over at 17-2.

Just do enough to advance and move on to tournament.

Nah. It was over at 17-2.

Just do enough to advance and move on to tournament.
Agree. The first round of subs definitely took the shine off that beautiful start, but the game was never in doubt. I get what KJH was doing, even though it made things so much less pretty. But mins were given, legs were saved, and we won by 20. In this particular case the subbing worked ok.

Jordan learned of this right before the game. Praying for her and those that lost a loved one. This is like the second or third game this season she has learned bad news or has had to play after just getting bad news 😩
Why would anyone give JH bad news right before the game? I'm sorry about her friend, but that makes zero sense. You couldn't wait two hours?

We desperately need Jordan dialed back in, especially offensively. Good job w 6 assists and 4 steals, but we need something approaching the Jordy we saw in the first 5 mins. That Jordy/Kea press was awesome!

Last edited:
Why would anyone give JH bad news right before the game? I'm sorry about her friend, but that makes zero sense. You couldn't wait two hours?

We desperately need Jordan dialed back in, especially offensively. Good job w 6 assists and 4 steals, but we need something approaching the Jordy we saw in the first 5 mins. That Jordy/Kea press was awesome!

I don't know if she was told or saw something ... The person who might have told her might have wanted her to know and didn't know she had a game. Or maybe it was a family member of the person she cared about and they were just letting her know and the timing stunk.

All in all most importantly praying for Jordan and I think she will bounce back. Luckily she can impact the game in more ways than one but yes we will need her completely dialed in. I am sure she is more than excited to ride to that occasion l.

I don't know if she was told or saw something ... The person who might have told her might have wanted her to know and didn't know she had a game. Or maybe it was a family member of the person she cared about and they were just letting her know and the timing stunk.

All in all most importantly praying for Jordan and I think she will bounce back. Luckily she can impact the game in more ways than one but yes we will need her completely dialed in. I am sure she is more than excited to ride to that occasion l.

Calipari probably sent her a pre-game text

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Dak1219, your post explains why Kellie is a good, but not elite head coach. She wants to give every player some minutes, regardless of the score. She needs to determine who are her best players by position and make substitutions only when necesssary.
And if she had done what you suggest how many would be on here screaming about minutes for Puckett and Pissott? She can not win on here, even with a 20 point road win

Probably just someone she follows on Twitter mentioned it.

They played well. Striplin played well from the start. We needed more of that from another player other than RJ and JH. Hollingshed came off the bench and scored double digits as well. And Walker had a good game too. That's what we need. At least 4 players in double digits. It makes the game a lot easier when we have other players scoring. We got 29 points off the bench. And the extra minutes for Hollingshed, Puckett, Wynn, Miles, Pissott, and the others will be valuable.

Probably just someone she follows on Twitter mentioned it.

That's what I was thinking, Lucy. Happens to me now and then. Like today. I was recording the Indiana-Iowa game to watch after our game and was careful to avoid looking at any devices because I didn't want to know who won. Then right after the first quarter of their game as I was watching tge recording, I forgot for just a second and stupidly glanced over on the table when I received an alert and, there it was. Not only the score, but how it went down. Ugh.

They played well. Striplin played well from the start. We needed more of that from another player other than RJ and JH. Hollingshed came off the bench and scored double digits as well. And Walker had a good game too. That's what we need. At least 4 players in double digits. It makes the game a lot easier when we have other players scoring. We got 29 points off the bench. And the extra minutes for Hollingshed, Puckett, Wynn, Miles, Pissott, and the others will be valuable.
Powell played really well too! Like 7-8 assists only a couple TIS.

Once again look at tess darbys stats. It bewilders me that you can lead the team in minutes and produce a stat line like hers. to go along with that she is un-athletic and can’t defend.

Once again look at tess darbys stats. It bewilders me that you can lead the team in minutes and produce a stat line like hers. to go along with that she is un-athletic and can’t defend.

Because the threat of her standing behind the arc opens up the court for Horston and Jackson. The opponent cannot leave her to help.

She's better on defense than you think.

There's virtually no chance in he** LV's can win the SEC tourney cuz they'd have to beat SC to do it. That just isn't gonna happen. But....it'd be nice to go as far as possible and hope for some good things to happen w the transfer portal for next season....and our AD needs to make a change at HC. LV's DESERVE an elite HC. Kellie ain't that...she just isn't. She's had time...plenty of it...but still we're just floundering and will continue to do so until this change is made. She's pretty....she's nice..etc. etc...but she's not the top notch coach the LV's NEED.

I’m hoping it’s allergies but I just watched the press conference and Rickea was sneezing 🤧 a lot. *please don’t I won’t speak it but. I’m sure rest and hydration will definitely do the trick.

I’m hoping it’s allergies but I just watched the press conference and Rickea was sneezing 🤧 a lot. *please don’t I won’t speak it but. I’m sure rest and hydration will definitely do the trick.
I noticed that, how could you not, and I'm officially giving RJ the day off from class and telling her stay in bed and hydrate all day. Not only sneezing but sniffling, runny nose etc. Sure looked like a cold, and might explain her more profuse than usual sweating during the game. Didn't slow her down on court though, that is one mentally tough player.

Also Walker held an ice bag to her mouth. Good time for several days between games. Rest up.

There's virtually no chance in he** LV's can win the SEC tourney cuz they'd have to beat SC to do it. That just isn't gonna happen. But....it'd be nice to go as far as possible and hope for some good things to happen w the transfer portal for next season....and our AD needs to make a change at HC. LV's DESERVE an elite HC. Kellie ain't that...she just isn't. She's had time...plenty of it...but still we're just floundering and will continue to do so until this change is made. She's pretty....she's nice..etc. etc...but she's not the top notch coach the LV's NEED.
She will win 23-25 games this year....

I noticed that, how could you not, and I'm officially giving RJ the day off from class and telling her stay in bed and hydrate all day. Not only sneezing but sniffling, runny nose etc. Sure looked like a cold, and might explain her more profuse than usual sweating during the game. Didn't slow her down on court though, that is one mentally tough player.

Also Walker held an ice bag to her mouth. Good time for several days between games. Rest up.

shades of Michael Jordan/s infamous "flu game".....

If you were to print a book ranking Michael Jordan's career-defining moments, you'd run out of ink by the time you reached his first retirement. Despite that, his iconic performance in Game 5 of the 1997 NBA Finals has to be somewhere near the top of the list. Jordan dropped 38 points in 44 minutes, including the tie-breaking 3-pointer with 25 seconds left, to lead the Chicago Bulls to a 90-88 victory and 3-2 series lead over the Utah Jazz.

After the game, His Airness opened up about battling an ailment throughout the game.
"I almost played myself into passing out," Jordan said. "I came in and I was almost dehydrated and it was all just to win a basketball game. I couldn't breathe. My energy level was really low. My mouth was really dry. They started giving me Gatorade and I thought about an IV."

VN Store

Back