Game Thread Lady Vols at Texas A&M ; Sunday 5PM; ESPN

Scheduling and coaching are one and the same.

Had we scheduled properly this loss would be NBD and a learning lesson early in SEC play. Instead it increase the incline to the NCAA tourney field for us yet again.

We MAY make the tournament but that’s going to depend heavily on the next 3-5 games. Lose 2-3 of those and it’s over.
and then people will talk about NIT
grrrrr
NO,,,NIT stands for "Not In the Tournament",,,always has always will
we miss the NCAA and they accept an NIT bid and I willl make Darth look like a Kellie supporter

Scheduling is not our problem. Talent and coaching and our playing are the problems.

We'll make the tourney. We looked to be gaining some momentum before yesterday's debacle. We just didn't play very intelligently on offense or very well on defense.
Maybe we should do a pick the score poll except make tourney or not with tie breaker being final record.

I don’t see this team making tourney. Their faces have a defeated look and I don’t see CKJH being able to change that. She seems to have no solutions as we have seen this over several games now.

To make a run they have to go from yesterday to almost a perfectly consistent team overnight.

Reactions: MsSportsGuy
and then people will talk about NIT
grrrrr
NO,,,NIT stands for "Not In the Tournament",,,always has always will
we miss the NCAA and they accept an NIT bid and I willl make Darth look like a Kellie supporter
There’s no way we’d take a WNIT bid.

There’s no way we’d take a WNIT bid.
I usually argue that you should play in the tourney you earned. But I agree, no WNIT this year mostly bc Rickea is not playing in the WNIT w a recent injury history and the W draft a couple of weeks later. Could be the first op out, like football players do in bowl games. Not this year for us.

Their faces have a defeated look and I don’t see CKJH being able to change that. She seems to have no solutions as we have seen this over several games now.
I think mindset can change. Yesterday was a one off as far as being so freaking flat, from every player to every coach and mgr. Also, up until yesterday, they have been able to find solutions in SEC play and the players have stayed poised and confident even playing fm behind. That's what made yesterday so mind blowing as far as passiveness.
To make a run they have to go from yesterday to almost a perfectly consistent team overnight.
So scary. Odds not good. Espec starting w what is going to turn out to be a very disrupted week being stuck in Texas and due in, of all places, Starkville Thursday. Where they just came off a huge win against Ole Miss. And where they're just waiting to "welcome" RJ back again. A challenge and a half.

I usually argue that you should play in the tourney you earned. But I agree, no WNIT this year mostly bc Rickea is not playing in the WNIT w a recent injury history and the W draft a couple of weeks later. Could be the first op out, like football players do in bowl games. Not this year for us.

Yeah if for some reason we did accept a bid to the WNIT I think only returning players would play. Likely not Rickea.

Personally wouldn’t like to see us accept that invitation. If we miss the NCAA we need to release our coaching staff immediately and start the search right away before the portal goes live.

Plus it’s best to have the opening available before the NCAA tournament so we can potentially hire someone from the field.

Don’t know if he would take it or not but my first choice would be Campbell at TCU. Kids really want to play for him and he’s a great culture coach, young and enterprising.

Only established coach I could see us going after this time is Walz and yes for real this time. I feel like his time at Louisville is about up, he’s done all he can there. With just a little more support he could be an annual Final Four instead of EE.

I don't think we'd accept WNIT have to believe we would not have a coaching staff and would be in the process of looking for a new coach.

Reactions: VolBall09
Only established coach I could see us going after this time is Walz and yes for real this time. I feel like his time at Louisville is about up, he’s done all he can there. With just a little more support he could be an annual Final Four instead of EE.
Nah, I think Walz's time has passed. How about Kenny Brooks?

Yesterday I was listening to a WNBA draft podcast and they were talking about Kitley possibly coming back. One of them said it might depend on where Brooks is, said they think he'll be coaching somewhere else while "wearing orange and white" next yr. I mean, is Vic about to retire? Only other orange and white team I could think of as a possibility. And probably just out of the guys butt.

If a hire becomes necessary, I could sure live w Brooks. But I still think unless she steps down, KJH is going nowhere for at least another year. Not necessarily should, but will be.

Nah, I think Walz's time has passed. How about Kenny Brooks?

Yesterday I was listening to a WNBA draft podcast and they were talking about Kitley possibly coming back. One of them said it might depend on where Brooks is, said they think he'll be coaching somewhere else while "wearing orange and white" next yr. I mean, is Vic about to retire? Only other orange and white team I could think of as a possibility. And probably just out of the guys butt.

If a hire becomes necessary, I could sure live w Brooks. But I still think unless she steps down, KJH is going nowhere for at least another year. Not necessarily should, but will be.

Kenny is older than Jeff by a few years I believe. Just took him longer to get going at VT. I think Kenny is a really nice Coach but I fear he would have similar issues to Kellie in recruiting at UT.

Kenny had a great season last year but that’s really his only season with a lot to write home about.

Jeff has consistently been to the Elite Eight. I expect he’ll coach another 20 years and with the support womens basketball gets a Tennessee I think he could be a great choice.

Otherwise, I really like the coach at Utah. Lynne Roberts can really coach.

It will be a tall order to make the tournament. It's possible but it would take an almost perfect performance from the team for the rest of the season and no more losses outside of LSU/SC.

Kenny is older than Jeff by a few years I believe. Just took him longer to get going at VT. I think Kenny is a really nice Coach but I fear he would have similar issues to Kellie in recruiting at UT.

Kenny had a great season last year but that’s really his only season with a lot to write home about.

Jeff has consistently been to the Elite Eight. I expect he’ll coach another 20 years and with the support womens basketball gets a Tennessee I think he could be a great choice.

Otherwise, I really like the coach at Utah. Lynne Roberts can really coach.
Not agewise, but in the arc of their careers, I feel like Kenny is on the rise and Jeff has plateaued or going down the other side. Plus there's so much Walz baggage here, I just don't see that ever happening.

Last edited:
Edie did travel with the team, but was not dressed for the game. I did hear as well that she was possibly sick and that some other of the players may me as well. Not sure how true this is or what other players were affected by it. Still not an excuse for the way we played.
Edia had some kind brace around her midsection . I seen her wearing it last few games before am.

Maria M C said in a Facebook post that Rickea Jackson look sick to her. She said some of the others were under the weather might been reason they played low energy.

Just a bad roster overall didn't go out and get a post in the portal knowing the situation with Key. Jill has not lived up to her ranking for whatever reason. Sometimes just have to admit were not a very good team. Were good enough to win more than we lose, but regardless of NCAA or not were not going anywhere just another lost season being average. If that is where were headed for the future and sure looks that way need to get used to it or just find something else to do when the Lady Vols play.

Karoline and Sarah can't guard a big post player. If they had played against Kentucky in that second half instead of Tamari we lose that game. Petty was doing the same thing to them that Barker and crew did yesterday. Key only played 13 minutes and like everyone else seemed a little out of it. Only players I saw with any hustle at all were Ace and to some extent Kaiya.

Well, this team has a formula for winning and the flip side is that when Jackson and Spear both have bad nights, and the LVs get out rebounded and they are shooting poorly as a team, and Key has an off game and is not defending the paint, there is almost no path to victory.

This game was a perfect storm of worst case scenarios. Plus, trying to close a doube digit gap on the road is a very different proposition than at home.

Texas A&M was bigger and quicker at every position. The refs let them get away with a lot of physical hack and grab which did not help but they were nonetheless winning just about every 50-50 ball.

But, we beat Auburn and everybody said, oh Auburn is terrible, they could not beat a rec and they turnout around take from talent rich LSU.

With probable exception of Dawn's team, there is going to be a lot of turbulence in the SEC this season.

We are 3-1, tied for second best record in the conference.

Maria always makes excuses for bad performances. Frankly I’ll have to hear the “they were sick” narrative from someone else to believe it. Not even Kellie herself said that.

Reactions: Raebo
The UNC men missed the NCAAT last year and turned down the NIT.

It feels kind of arrogant to say “we’re Tennessee and it’s beneath us to accept a WNIT bid”

But we’re Tennessee and it’s beneath us to accept a WNIT bid.

Nothing can be gained from playing in it, even if we win it.

Reactions: brittannica

VN Store

Back