Game Thread Lady Vols at Texas A&M ; Sunday 5PM; ESPN

This isn't new, this was true last year. RJ has been double teamed and schemed for for years. We have to have consistent outside scoring to either offset or free her up and yesterday we didn't have it. Also, the last two games RJ has struggled with her jumper far more than usual and that just further packs the paint.

Also, they have to figure out how to get RJ post points when TK and JH are in the game. I thought their early entry into the game yesterday really hurt her. It's all part of papering over deficiences and robbing Peter to pay Paul.

RJ, much as I love her, has to do some soul searching regarding the one rebound. You don't go from double digit rebounds to one without something being wrong. She's human, as KJH said after the game, and has huge expectations on her. But she's been there before and navigated successfully. Gotta rise up again, and in of all places, Starkville.

KJH called yesterday "a step back". And that's the problem. There's always steps back that endanger forward momentuem. And wouldn't you know it, on freaking national TV. In addition to other problems, KJH just has epic bad luck.
No it is not new it is what we are today.

Not lookin real good for Harper.....
Shutterstock_13727380ad.jpg

Nah, I think Walz's time has passed. How about Kenny Brooks?

What?! He does more with less than anyone. The last 5 tournaments, he's made F4 or E8 every year and the tourny was canceled for arguably the best team he had. Guy is only 52.

Because any AD should always have a list:

Top 3:
Walz
Moren
Ralph

Long shot:
Lisa Boyer

One to watch:
Katrina Merriweather

And that’s a problem because we probably will have to sweep both games.
Vandy got beat at home and led the whole game. I think by 10 at one time Missouri caught up at the end and Vandy choked. Looked like the comebacks Lady Vols had when they got behind 1st 2 SEC games, I watched to see how Pissot played.

The UNC men missed the NCAAT last year and turned down the NIT.

It feels kind of arrogant to say “we’re Tennessee and it’s beneath us to accept a WNIT bid”

But we’re Tennessee and it’s beneath us to accept a WNIT bid.

Nothing can be gained from playing in it, even if we win it.
Yep, used to you could say could gain some post season tournaments play for the ones coming back but in the portal age who knows what the roster looks like in 24/25.

Vandy got beat at home and led the whole game. I think by 10 at one time Missouri caught up at the end and Vandy choked. Looked like the comebacks Lady Vols had when they got behind 1st 2 SEC games, I watched to see how Pissot played.
Pissott is a tall Tess Darby. She is making 36 percent from the three, but only averaging 1.7 rebounds and something north of 1 percent. Her overall percentage is 35 percent meaning she is shooting lower on two point shots than threes. She was just one for six from the three in that game yesterday so that 36 is dropping as well.

Pissott is a tall Tess Darby. She is making 36 percent from the three, but only averaging 1.7 rebounds and something north of 1 percent. Her overall percentage is 35 percent meaning she is shooting lower on two point shots than threes. She was just one for six from the three in that game yesterday so that 36 is dropping as well.
Yep, I noticed she hardly ever left the 3-point line on offense. Her getting a offensive rebound would be an accidental rebound IMO.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Yep, I noticed she hardly ever left the 3-point line on offense. Her getting a offensive rebound would be an accidental rebound IMO.
agree,,,she is not a power-player or a rebounder,,,but she is a legitimate 3 point sniper and that is how you use her
Tess stats: 24-76 31% (72 pts) 2-6 FT (2 pts) 8-14 2pt/fg (16 pts)
Justine: 27-77 35% (81 pts) 9-13 Ft (9 pts) 20-55 2pt/fg (40 pts)

So although Justine doesn't rebound her overall offensive game is much more versatile

Last edited:
Reactions: brittannica
What we saw Sunday was a dumpster fire. I saw the camera on KJH in the 4th quarter and she had her hands on her head as if to say how do you make this bad dream go away. Well she had better figure it out before they go to Starkvagas or it could be more of the same.
I hate to say this as I had hopes that our coach inherited the distaste for turnovers from her coach but it is not the case. We don’t have any heart, we turnover the ball, we are unaware of the surrounding when the ball is in hand, and we can’t guard one on one, and recruiting is a thing of the past. we should go after Johnnie Taylor, she understands what it takes and will not just love the players but force them to play team ball. I just got to say that turnovers take away more than shots. Turnovers cause you to lose continuity, confidence, defensive positioning and if it happens in practice then it will be worse in the game. I hate to say move on as I love Tennessee sports and I care for VFL but the team deserves more than it is getting. I feel this type of coaching is ok for middle of the road schools, but not if you want to be a contender
Sadly, The LVs are not a contending team unless they can figure this turnover thing out, learn to guard, have scorers who can create shots, even when covered, be more aggressive, and a bushel basket of other things, but what are the chances with this team and this coaching staff? I love KJH but the LVs need a change in direction and KJH is simply not the answer.

agree,,,she is not a power-player or a rebounder,,,but she is a legitimate 3 point sniper and that is how you use her
Tess stats: 24-76 31% (72 pts) 2-6 FT (2 pts) 8-14 2pt/fg (16 pts)
Justine: 27-77 35% (81 pts) 9-13 Ft (9 pts) 20-55 2pt/fg (40 pts)

So although Justine doesn't rebound her overall offensive game is much more versatile
Lock and load Coach, lock and load......As a man that appreciates a beautiful woman, as well as a deep 3 point ball, Justine will always be interesting to me....
amt-eac29a8231bcbbd0c34df64266438e053b113c65-SJ504795-2.jpg

Lock and load Coach, lock and load......As a man that appreciates a beautiful woman, as well as a deep 3 point ball, Justine will always be interesting to me....
Sadly, that low release point turns a 6-4 player into a de facto 5-11 player. That shot is not pretty. With a higher release point, she could be the women's version of Kevin Durant. It is shocking to me she has not worked on her form.

Didn’t people say she wasn’t a college All American was because of coaching? I’m wondering what the excuses are now.

Reactions: brittannica
she is indeed a triple threat, GT
Beautiful, smart, athletic
But that isn't why I stay in touch with her,,,She loves this game that I love
So we have a bond
and I keep watch over players who's lives I have the honor of influencing

Reactions: GameTime
Sadly, that low release point turns a 6-4 player into a de facto 5-11 player. That shot is not pretty. With a higher release point, she could be the women's version of Kevin Durant. It is shocking to me she has not worked on her form.
sadly I agree
If she had a Larry Bird shot for her mid-range game at 6'4" she would be tremendous
But her initial development into the college game didn't address this,,wherever it was that that happened

Reactions: madtownvol
What we saw Sunday was a dumpster fire. I saw the camera on KJH in the 4th quarter and she had her hands on her head as if to say how do you make this bad dream go away. Well she had better figure it out before they go to Starkvagas or it could be more of the same.

Sadly, The LVs are not a contending team unless they can figure this turnover thing out, learn to guard, have scorers who can create shots, even when covered, be more aggressive, and a bushel basket of other things, but what are the chances with this team and this coaching staff? I love KJH but the LVs need a change in direction and KJH is simply not the answer.
On the NOMFW thread, I posted, to summarize, that Kellie has to become willing to switch from "LV basketball" (pound the paint, dominant the boards, and get transition buckets) when playing teams that are built to defend that style very effectively.

In the mid 3rd quarter, when desperation and futility were setting in, switch it up and spread the floor, We have good 3 pt shooters in Spear, Puckett, Darby, Striplin, and even Powell has become a threat, Don't try to beat TA&M at the game they WANT to play and are out playing you at. Make em chase on the perimeter, get the long rebounds on missses. If you going to go down on the road, go down shooting....

Hate it for Darby, but Ace looked like she belonged out there. I don't see any point of playing Darby going forward.
Darby can’t play defense, though she tries, and she can’t give you any offense unless she is wide open. KJH thinks she has a group of players she can sub at will and there is little if any difference when that is not the case. Her best are RJ, Spear, Powell, TK (as many minutes as she can give) and Wynn (On D and not at the point), are her starters. Her subs are Hollingshed (Recently she is more aggressive and can shoot the mid range jumper), Ace Strickland (Seems to have potential, especially on D) Puckett (Not as a starter but as a sub) Striplin (Not at the 5 ). RJ, Powell and Spear are her consistent scorers and at least two of them should be on the floor at all times, barring foul trouble.

On the NOMFW thread, I posted, to summarize, that Kellie has to become willing to switch from "LV basketball" (pound the paint, dominant the boards, and get transition buckets) when playing teams that are built to defend that style very effectively.

In the mid 3rd quarter, when desperation and futility were setting in, switch it up and spread the floor, We have good 3 pt shooters in Spear, Puckett, Darby, Striplin, and even Powell has become a threat, Don't try to beat TA&M at the game they WANT to play and are out playing you at. Make em chase on the perimeter, get the long rebounds on missses. If you going to go down on the road, go down shooting....
exactly one of my initial posts in the game thread said: dictate the matchups set the pace

they are a very long/tall team and that is their only strength
We must dictate the matchups to win and our advantage is speed...IF...the proper lineups are used.
If we go to our usual starting lineup and they dictate the pace,,we will have a tough time of it

I'm sure WC agrees with you, but I believe I heard that there is not one recruit signed for next year. Not a good sign, but for all the portal supporters that means more nomads that Kellie can pluck from there. BTW, next year is the last year that allows CO-Vid years for players. That means there will be more roster spots open for recruits, and that also means that the portal will be getting smaller and smaller. The point is, if no recruits are coming in than you may have to settle for some marginal players just to fill the roster, and if they are underclassmen than you will be stuck with them for multiple years. I know it's none of my business, but I can't believe that a lot of you fans accept this insanity. A third of a college coaching job is recruiting, so this staff isn't doing a third of their responsibilities. In any other job they would be fired, so when is the administration going to wake up and smell the coffee. Sorry, I am writing this as a WBB fan, and although a rival, can see the Brand of Pat Summitt fading away.
Keep in mind the portal can go both ways and I believe the Vols could lose a couple of good players just like losing who is now a full time starter on a 13-1 team

100%

Reactions: Coach Jumper
Nah, I think Walz's time has passed. How about Kenny Brooks?

Yesterday I was listening to a WNBA draft podcast and they were talking about Kitley possibly coming back. One of them said it might depend on where Brooks is, said they think he'll be coaching somewhere else while "wearing orange and white" next yr. I mean, is Vic about to retire? Only other orange and white team I could think of as a possibility. And probably just out of the guys butt.

If a hire becomes necessary, I could sure live w Brooks. But I still think unless she steps down, KJH is going nowhere for at least another year. Not necessarily should, but will be.

VN Store

Back