Game Thread: Lady Vols host Vandy ; Sunday Jan 21, 3PM; SEC Network ;...Win 73-64

Pat was a shell of herself. Holly recruited, game planned and basically ran the program the final two years. I’m not discrediting Demoss but giving credit where it’s due. Dean as well.

That is not correct. They didn't even know she had her condition for two full years.

Even after she was diagnosed she stated that she wanted to coach three more years.

You don't think Vandy could complain about some calls? Get real. We had 18 foul shots, Vandy had 6. Stop complaining about the officiating.
I'm not sure why fans--and it is true of football and men's BB too--feel a need to bellyache about the officiating after EVERY freakin' game. Are there suspect calls? Of course, in every game, and for/against every team. Is the officiating great? No. It is what it is, and this endless whining about it is not going to change it.

The officiating was terrible.
The poster is delusional.
If you were there,,,you saw it better than tv shows it...the officiating was horrible for both ends,,foul shots notwithstanding

That is not correct. They didn't even know she had her condition for two full years.

Even after she was diagnosed she stated that she wanted to coach three more years.
She can say she wanted to coach all she wanted. The confusion and lost look was present…Holly and Dean being caretakers of what was going on.

Reactions: AntiochVol81
She can say she wanted to coach all she wanted. The confusion and lost look was present…Holly and Dean being caretakers of what was going on.

There was no significant change in her coaching duties until after her diagnosis and it only affected her final season.

It was accurately published that she blanked during a timeout the year prior and minor adjustments were made coming out of that, but nothing significant.

If you were there,,,you saw it better than tv shows it...the officiating was horrible for both ends,,foul shots notwithstanding
Officiating is horrible almost every game on both ends as you stated.. Vandy fans are probably screaming about calls as well, the calls against TK were outrageous but what you going do..

The Vanderbilt defender flopped, players are taught to flop..John Fulkerson was a flopper for the men's team during his 5 years..

The last few games we have been a much better team with Tamari on the court. That was really the difference in those last few minutes that allowed Vanderbilt to catch up and tie it at half.
Yes! My only gripe w Kellie today, but why in the world was Sara guarding Washington on those last two baskets!
I had just been thinking at the end of the 3rd quarter that this has been one of her (RJ) most complete games of the season, with 16 points, 10 boards, 4 steals, 3 assists, and only 1 turnover. Wild that the announcers haven't even noticed she's been MIA this entire quarter.
So great to see her bounce back from two of her worst games. We weren't getting her the ball enough but she was vintage Rickea, until . . .
Watching the handshake line I noticed when Harper tried to say something to Pissot, she just walked past her without even acknowledging her.
Wait, what? Kellie hugged Justine before the game. Justine came near our bench in warmups and KJH was standing there and they hugged. Folks sitting around me commented on it. Maybe JP is just a sore loser?

I was a little surprised by all the booing but there were more students there than usual today and they were rowdy. Pretty sure they didn't even know who Justine was. Probably just someone goosing them up beforehand said hey, #13 transferred to Vandy! I think it was just sports fun. I will say, I was kind of happy for Justine to bust that first 3 from distance. Nice clapback.

Key was the one they just wouldn't call a foul on it maybe they were adjusting or correcting for the size difference.
Yes, TK def got the big girl penalty. I usually don't like ref whining, but they were outrageously bad today, both ways. Just more adversity to plow though.
I will never forget witnessing my fraternity brother having an asthma attack. He was wheezing so badly. That was 1992 but I had never seen that before. Luckily he would be okay.
This was scary. During the huddle btw 3 & 4th qtr RJ got up and stood behind the chairs and then started swaying. I though she was about to pass out. Trainers started tending her and I thought she was just nauseated, but game buddy kept saying she's holding her chest. They tended her on the bench for a bit but quickly took her back. I still thought she was throwing up and might be back. But when she did come back it was obvious she couldn't play anymore and was still struggling. She was also really upset over the whole thing. They finally took her back to locker room before the game was over, she looked miserable.

Of course it's better than an injury and thank goodness we won without her. But dang she was having a helluva game!

Did the announcers really not even acknowledge she was gone? Bizarre!

Last edited:
1- She wasn't there for the covid year, Stephanie White was the coach.
2- Before the season stared last year, 3 potential starters were lost for the year.
3- This is only her third year trying to turn around a losing program. Catch even said that before Shea came in the team was, lets say, not up to par.
4- The difference is she has a few of her type of players come in as recruits.
Use some commonsense man, when you take over a bad program it's like starting from scratch.

I just remembered, you are the guy who really doesn't know anything except for what you read in this forum. No outside knowledge at all, and I believe you said it yourself. LOL
If Shea get a 6’5 or so down low that can play they be hard to beat. They played a good game and didn’t quit. She may end up being a heck of a coach. Improved ever year

There was no significant change in her coaching duties until after her diagnosis and it only affected her final season.

It was accurately published that she blanked during a timeout the year prior and minor adjustments were made coming out of that, but nothing significant.
2010-2011 season promoted her to go to Mayo Clinic because she forgot a play or as you said went blank in the middle of a game, 2011-2012 was her final season. Again, she was a shell of herself her final two seasons.

Reactions: Tnphil
I know the game thread is koo koo for coco puffs, but they were actually dogging JP? WTF? JP was fan-freakin-tastic, what a heart! She had 16 pts, 5 rebs, 8 asst and only 1 to. She was completely poised down the stretch. JP is one of the most improved players KJH has turned out in a long time. Love this for her!

Also big props to Jewel. When it was clear RJ was gone, I said to game buddy, it's on Jewel Spear now. And she stepped right up. She has really come around the last few games.

Again TK takes a giant step forward. She's playing better offense right now than she was before the blood clots. What a great story.

Tess hit a big 3 and what guts to fire that off at a crucial time after the flaggrant air ball she fired up right before.

Alot of things are going right for our team right now, alot of pieces. If we could ever have them come together and not have some crazy turn of bad luck, imagine what we could do?

I do think Ralph has done a good job and Vandy is way better. But they are the most comical bunch of floppers I've ever seen. Missouri is jealous.

2010-2011 season promoted her to go to Mayo Clinic because she forgot a play or as you said went blank in the middle of a game, 2011-2012 was her final season. Again, she was a shell of herself her final two seasons.

I don't think we're that far off in this discussion, but 2010-2011 was a dang good year, and I still believe Summitt was in pretty good shape and calling 90% or more of the shots that year.

What happened to her happened shockingly fast.

I don't think we're that far off in this discussion, but 2010-2011 was a dang good year, and I still believe Summitt was in pretty good shape and calling 90% or more of the shots that year.

What happened to her happened shockingly fast.
Had she come public it would have taken away from the team or it could have been her last season. She got a victory lap year but it wasn’t like others who announce their retirement early.

IMO, Shea Ralph is an excellent coach and was the perfect addition to the SEC coaching lineup. Even in her first two seasons when she didn't have a great roster, those players were still tough, played hard, and never gave up. Vanderbilt is going to be a tough out as long as she's coaching them. If I were the AD at Connecticut, the day Auriemma told me he's retiring I'd be calling Ralph. Just MO.

100 percent correct...She did non Pat things during games. When it finally came out I told the wife....That answers that.

Yes! My only gripe w Kellie today, but why in the world was Sara guarding Washington on those last two baskets!

So great to see her bounce back from two of her worst games. We weren't getting her the ball enough but she was vintage Rickea, until . . .

Wait, what? Kellie hugged Justine before the game. Justine came near our bench in warmups and KJH was standing there and they hugged. Folks sitting around me commented on it. Maybe JP is just a sore loser?

I was a little surprised by all the booing but there were more students there than usual today and they were rowdy. Pretty sure they didn't even know who Justine was. Probably just someone goosing them up beforehand said hey, #13 transferred to Vandy! I think it was just sports fun. I will say, I was kind of happy for Justine to bust that first 3 from distance. Nice clapback.

Yes, TK def got the big girl penalty. I usually don't like ref whining, but they were outrageously bad today, both ways. Just more adversity to plow though.

This was scary. During the huddle btw 3 & 4th qtr RJ got up and stood behind the chairs and then started swaying. I though she was about to pass out. Trainers started tending her and I thought she going to throw up but game buddy kept saying she's holding her chest. They tended her on the bench for a bit but quickly took her back. I still thought she was throwing up and might be back. But when she did come back it was obvious she couldn't play anymore and was still struggling. She was also really upset over the whole thing. They finally took her back to locker room before the game was over, she looked miserable.

Of course it's better than an injury and thank goodness we won without her. But dang she was having a helluva game!
KJH's team stared down the barrel of a potential devastating loss without their All America and gutted out a tough win. Much credit to the 7 or 8 that made it happen today. Vandy is much improved. Pissot got what she deserved from the students, she certainly celebrated her threes but disappeared in crunch time. She's going to get that reception for the next 2 years, she might as well get used to it. She's a great long open shooter, same as last year and nothing much more. RJ was really struggling. Glad it wasn't an injury and hope it's manageable. The refereeing was bad, phantom charges, an overrule from a ref 50 feet from the play over a ref that was looking right at a play in front of him. KJH worked the refs pretty well today, glad to see it. Outstanding win, should put us in the dance, got to find 4 or so more.

KJH's team stared down the barrel of a potential devastating loss without their All America and gutted out a tough win. Much credit to the 7 or 8 that made it happen today. Vandy is much improved. Pissot got what she deserved from the students, she certainly celebrated her threes but disappeared in crunch time. She's going to get that reception for the next 2 years, she might as well get used to it. She's a great long open shooter, same as last year and nothing much more. RJ was really struggling. Glad it wasn't an injury and hope it's manageable. The refereeing was bad, phantom charges, an overrule from a ref 50 feet from the play over a ref that was looking right at a play in front of him. KJH worked the refs pretty well today, glad to see it. Outstanding win, should put us in the dance, got to find 4 or so more.
Certainly there are more than four out there…

This was scary. During the huddle btw 3 & 4th qtr RJ got up and stood behind the chairs and then started swaying. I though she was about to pass out. Trainers started tending her and I thought she was just nauseated, but game buddy kept saying she's holding her chest. They tended her on the bench for a bit but quickly took her back. I still thought she was throwing up and might be back. But when she did come back it was obvious she couldn't play anymore and was still struggling. She was also really upset over the whole thing. They finally took her back to locker room before the game was over, she looked miserable.

Did the announcers really not even acknowledge she was gone? Bizarre!
Sometimes announcers will not comment on serious situations or show a replay on a gruesome injury.

The announcers were aware she wasn’t on the floor, imo, but most likely told not to comment. Just my opinion.

VN Store

Back