Game Thread: Lady Vols v EKU; Sunday 2PM, Home, SECN+ (Final LV'z 72-63)

Fans are voting with their wallets. I don’t think even the South Carolina and LSU games will draw 10,000 at this point.
Depends on where our records are at the time.
Or people could be busy shopping and going to Christmas events.
That's what kept me away. But I've never seen a drop off like today pre-Christmas.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Glad I watched the game, and call me crazy but It wasn't near as bad as all that. Was only as close as 9 bc we couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. I thought we moved the ball as well as I've seen in a while, found open players and got good looks. Couldn't hit enough of them. Also, as ever, too many turnovers. That team wasn't that bad, they're well coached and Walker is a player. But I also saw encouraging stuff. Thought the LVs played w more poise (except all the t.o.s) and played much looser.

Seriously, are you people insane? You could watch that game and say JP doesnt care? Strip doesn't bust her tail? Puckett getting hammered in a position she's 2 inches too short for? TK doesn't care? They all care, of course. I should let it slide bc it's so ridiculous on the face of it, but it burns me up.

Strip has stepped the ef up, period. And showing real offensive skills. You can see her confidence growing. That player has developed. I love her mindset and energy.

Speaking of energy, how do you not love JP. Also has stepped right up. Yes she's going to throw the inexplicable pass into the bleachers, and overdribble at the end of every quarter. But her hustle,her kamikoze rebounding, floor vision and scrappy energy are really important right now. Esp bc Wells continues to recede, which was the bad news fm this game.

Did I dream it or was this the best we've seen TK in like forever? Spin move! The turnaround in the last couple of weeks has been unbelievable and a really positive development I did not see coming. Love those 3 blocks for her. You can see her gaining confidence too. Still a way to go, but at long last, it seems encouraging.

Another positive is that Jewel contributed so much late in the game after another rocky start. Gives her something good to think about. Also thought Wynn played well.

She did? When? Against who?
The tour

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The game was fun and exciting today.....That's all we can really ask for.
Of course, there is a lot to be improved on, but at least Kellie got on the refs butts with some of their crazy calls...
When RK comes back, couple her with the new and improved Striplin, the LVs will be a blast to watch.
@GameTime ? Yer being somewhat positive? Hallelujah!

Man the empty seats in there today. From what I could tell on tv, one of the smallest crowds I've ever seen. It was a rainy, cold day in Knoxville today. But I think it was also directly due to the MTSU loss.
Apathy…same type weather on Saturday for the men and a sellout. Better opponent in Illinois.

We played poorly yesterday. Eastern is a decent team number 155, but no way we shouldn't win easily against them with no fourth quarter drive even needed. The biggest disappointment with this team is no one can shoot straight except Karoline who has become fairly consistent. The three point shooting that was supposed to be a strength has been a huge weakness not even up to last season at this point. Seems amazing to me that players can shoot the three at another school at 40 percent and can't shoot 30 at Tennessee. Players that were elite players at another school can't do anything here. Players that didn't turn it over at their other school turn it over a lot here. If someone can figure out why all these players have regressed at Tennessee then maybe someone could come up with a solution to fix it. I personally think Kellie causes players to do to much thinking and not enough playing. They are thinking to much about what they are doing and making more mistakes than they would otherwise.

We played poorly yesterday. Eastern is a decent team number 155, but no way we shouldn't win easily against them with no fourth quarter drive even needed. The biggest disappointment with this team is no one can shoot straight except Karoline who has become fairly consistent. The three point shooting that was supposed to be a strength has been a huge weakness not even up to last season at this point. Seems amazing to me that players can shoot the three at another school at 40 percent and can't shoot 30 at Tennessee. Players that were elite players at another school can't do anything here. Players that didn't turn it over at their other school turn it over a lot here. If someone can figure out why all these players have regressed at Tennessee then maybe someone could come up with a solution to fix it. I personally think Kellie causes players to do to much thinking and not enough playing. They are thinking to much about what they are doing and making more mistakes than they would otherwise.

Coaching.

Those players were put in roles and situations where they could be successful at other schools. Our staff are grossly mismanaging this roster. They are so concerned with the players doing it “their way” that the young women are over thinking EVERYTHING.

At some point you just have to let them get out there and play ball. They are so in their ear about every little thing they are constantly THINKING about playing basketball instead of actually PLAYING basketball. Above all else it should be fun and they all look like their puppy just died when they’re out there.

And if I hear the word poise one more time I’m gonna lose it. We don’t need poise. We need to play basketball with PASSION.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
Bad shooting can (usually) be fixed as long as theyre good shots. I thought they moved the ball way better than usual and had very good shots, just didn't hit them. Also thought they kept their poise much better, a few bonehead tos not withstanding.

The rest I agree with. You have to be willingly blindfolded not to see even tho we get portal players, integrating them seems to be a really hard process. And regression happens during the process. I still think both Spear and Wells will be ok, and Spear started to break out yesterday.

Good take that the problem could be KJH's highly analytical nature. She's known to love stats.

And especially on defense. The players are so worried about secondary and tertiary coverage they aren’t playing PRIMARY coverage. The amount of olé defense we see is astounding. Darby can’t keep a stationary player in front of her at this point. It’s insanity.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Our staff are grossly mismanaging this roster.
They're working around catasrophic holes due to injury. They don't want Sara, Jill, and Strip playing out of position all the time. Of course it happens, it's their job, and it's not an "excuse". But it is part of the reason.
We don’t need poise. We need to play basketball with PASSION.
The two are not exclusive, and the best teams have both.

Reactions: VOLSanon
They're working around catasrophic holes due to injury. They don't want Sara, Jill, and Strip playing out of position all the time. Of course it happens, it's their job, and it's not an "excuse". But it is part of the reason.

The two are not exclusive, and the best teams have both.

We do not have any catastrophic holes in our roster. Sorry but I’m tired of hearing it. Notre Dame won a natty with 6 players after 4 acl tears one season. It’s about desire, coaching and consistency. We aren’t getting any of that. You play with the players you have and they step up or they don’t.

And for the second part, we have neither. So that’s a large deficit. Kellie needs to go teach math and coach high school. Until about 3 weeks ago I was still on the Kellie train but I got off at the MTSU stop and I believe Danny White did as well.

We do not have any catastrophic holes in our roster. Sorry but I’m tired of hearing it. Notre Dame won a natty with 6 players after 4 acl tears one season. It’s about desire, coaching and consistency. We aren’t getting any of that. You play with the players you have and they step up or they don’t.

And for the second part, we have neither. So that’s a large deficit. Kellie needs to go teach math and coach high school. Until about 3 weeks ago I was still on the Kellie train but I got off at the MTSU stop and I believe Danny White did as well.
I would wager a lot of money you have zero facts to support your comment regarding DW. You are assuming that he sees things as you do which is almost assuredly false.

Bingo!
Players who get focused on being concerned with being subbed for mistakes often have the thought process of playing "not to make a mistake"
When this happens, as it does often with certain coaching, you have to retrain their thought process from concentrating on not making a mistake, to, concentrating on leaving an impression.

I school my players to dot every column of the stat list, bad and good.
why the bad?
Fouls often are a product of aggressiveness
turnovers are often a product of a great pass that didn't get received
(This is why I do the turnover report,,so I know WHY they got the stat)
I worked with both Meme and Jordan on this very thought process

Coaching.

Those players were put in roles and situations where they could be successful at other schools. Our staff are grossly mismanaging this roster. They are so concerned with the players doing it “their way” that the young women are over thinking EVERYTHING.

At some point you just have to let them get out there and play ball. They are so in their ear about every little thing they are constantly THINKING about playing basketball instead of actually PLAYING basketball. Above all else it should be fun and they all look like their puppy just died when they’re out there.

And if I hear the word poise one more time I’m gonna lose it. We don’t need poise. We need to play basketball with PASSION.
excellent post

Reactions: Volfan2012
I would wager a lot of money you have zero facts to support your comment regarding DW. You are assuming that he sees things as you do which is almost assuredly false.

I respect that Lucy, it’s conjecture. But did you see his face at that Ohio State game? He’s over it.

I have nothing against anyone who is supporting our current staff. I’ve been on here a long time and many of you are my “friends.”

It’s just very hard seeing the program like this. I came into this fold because of Pat Summit and the way she led people. Our leadership isn’t getting it done.

We do not have any catastrophic holes in our roster
Quite a take. Against all available evidence.

But of course, once you reach the point you're at evidence doesn't matter. Except the look you saw on DW's face.

It's hard for everyone to see the program like this. All different stages of reacting going on.

Reactions: VOLSanon
I respect that Lucy, it’s conjecture. But did you see his face at that Ohio State game? He’s over it.

I have nothing against anyone who is supporting our current staff. I’ve been on here a long time and many of you are my “friends.”

It’s just very hard seeing the program like this. I came into this fold because of Pat Summit and the way she led people. Our leadership isn’t getting it done.
Did not see his face but I’m sure he was sorely disappointed as we all were.
He is paid (a lot) to not overreact, to take a more nuanced view. Think how much more he knows (the good and the bad) regarding the staff, injuries etc.
I share your concerns for sure but I feel like it is too early to panic and really too early to call for Kellie’s head. Let’s see how the team plays when Rikea is back at full speed. Just the opinions of an eternal optimist!

Quite a take. Against all available evidence.

But of course, once you reach the point you're at evidence doesn't matter. Except the look you saw on DW's face.

It's hard for everyone to see the program like this. All different stages of reacting going on.

Yes we are down our best player. Several other teams are as well and they are making do just fine. ND was down 3 of their best guards and still took one from us at home.

Missing Strickland is not a loss, sorry. Jill was very helpful last night and was missed in the MTSU game but Karo had 30 from that position. It was the perimeter play and coaching that let us down.

The failure to adjust on the high ball screen against MTSU was inexplicable and a firing offense.

They also ran the same 10 second long play with two stagger screens for a 3 about 6 times. You know it’s coming. You can’t get screened off, cut in front and steal the dang ball. On a play that slow with that many screens there is no excuse to get beat by it more than once.

Last edited:
Yes we are down are best player. Several other teams are as well and they are making do just fine. ND was down 3 of their best guards and still took one from us at home.

Missing Strickland is not a loss, sorry. Jill was very helpful last night and was missed in the MTSU game but Karo had 30 from that position. It was the perimeter play and coaching that let us down.

The failure to adjust on the high ball screen against MTSU was inexplicable and a firing offense.

They also ran the same 10 second long play with two stagger screens for a 3 about 6 times. You know it’s coming. You can’t get screened off, cut in front and steal the dang ball. On a play that slow with that many screens there is no excuse to get beat by it more than once.
You can not dismiss not having a healthy TK. Healthy she is a game changer. Ostensibly we are down our top two players.

VN Store

Back