Game Thread: Tennessee (14-7, 7-2 SEC) @ Alabama Crimson Tide (18-6, 5-4 SEC), 7:00 PM (EST), Live Stream SECN+

The Lady Vols did not play like they wanted it and some of the subbing did not make sense. Having Tess guard Nye was a joke. At this rate all we can do is hope and watch. We may be on the verge of reaching rock bottom, the next 7 games will tell the story. However for 1.5 million dollars you should get more from this program than the LVs have been getting.

Teams already know when those subs are made they have an advantage and yet they happen every single game.

Then they sit there and act as if it’s the right decision and keep making the same decisions until the game is out of reach.

Listen I coached middle school basketball and football for over twenty years and I still have former players that tell me they miss my timeouts with unleashed butt chewing because it motivated them to reach deeper!! Coach Pat was great at that as well! Wish Coach Harper would try that sometime. Cal them out when they are not performing! Hold them accountable! Vent over!

Kellie is a good person and loves this program. With that said, her time has come to an end in Knoxville. Loving the program is just not enough. She has been in over her head since she arrived to be the head coach. I’m hoping her time on the hill is just about over.

Tess and Sarah are FORWARDS. Idc. I’ve said forever on here. You are what u can guard. The fact Kellie wants to play them at guard is negligent
JP/Kaiya
Jewell/Ace

Should be the only players playing the 1 or 2 which shows why losing Destinee was so big and Ace barely being available this season has hurt

Heck id even throw Rickea there

ID RATHER HAVE EDIE GUARDING NYE THAN TESS

Last edited:
Alabama is a good team and the game was played on their court (though I'm unsure the sparse crowd made a difference). So, although I hoped for a win a loss was not unexpected.

Coach Warlick, who struggled to beat Alabama, used to say Coach Curry runs really good offensive sets. I think their high ball screens are effective but border on being illegal because the screener moves.

Alabama plays good defense and largely took us out of any consistent offense. Powell's foul trouble hurt. However, I have never believed in sitting a key player with two fouls. You can lose the game in the 3rd quarter (which we did) just as well as at the end of the game.

Hollingshed may be our best rebounder but can't stay on the floor due to lack of an offensive game. Without her we struggle to rebound.

There is an axiom that if you can guard your man then you can guard the three ball. Because of our lack of foot speed and lack of length we don't do either very well.

Recruit, recruit, recruit

Listen I coached middle school basketball and football for over twenty years and I still have former players that tell me they miss my timeouts with unleashed butt chewing because it motivated them to reach deeper!! Coach Pat was great at that as well! Wish Coach Harper would try that sometime. Cal them out when they are not performing! Hold them accountable! Vent over!
It's not in her DNA to do that. She could take that kind of coaching but she doesn't coach that way if that makes sense. Good players don't always make good coaches.

Coach Warlick, who struggled to beat Alabama, used to say Coach Curry runs really good offensive sets. I think their high ball screens are effective but border on being illegal because the screener moves.

A UConn innovation that's infected the entire sport over the past twenty years.

We did a great job defensively on Barker. Even though the problems with our subs guarding Nye were obvious, I thought we actually played defense enough to win. It was just that we couldn't throw it in the ocean, and never adjusted any offense to get easier shots.

Haven’t commented much at all this year because I’m off the Kellie train for good. She’s got to go. I’d love to discuss realistic candidates for a new coach . Kellie is about to be the one who doesn’t lead us to a tournament.

Reactions: Deebowbear
Teams already know when those subs are made they have an advantage and yet they happen every single game.

Then they sit there and act as if it’s the right decision and keep making the same decisions until the game is out of reach.
The whole offense for Bama change to attack Darby when she was in.

No wonder Rickea and co we’re getting frustrated that they couldn’t get stops

Recruit, recruit, recruit

This just isn’t it to me. The program has had three consecutive first round WNBA draft picks in recent years and played the same kind of basketball. You are not going in the first round of the draft unless you’re an elite talent.
Rickea Jackson will make it 4 this upcoming draft.

Talaysia Cooper and Kaniya Boyd are both talented players but right now I have a hard time seeing them being played to their strengths.

Rickea Jackson, Rae Burrell, Jordan Horston, Tamari Key, Jewel Spear, and Alexus Dye all individually talented players and in this system they had to work for every single statistic night in and night out.

I never seen a team that made the game look so hard no matter if they were winning or losing.

You got to make a change at this point.

Last edited:
Overall bad bad night. I have supported Lady Vols for many years and what were getting is not good and I have supported Kellie because I know she loves this program her coach built well its time to get angry Kellie and do something about this poor effort tonight and get fire in your belly to be relentless on recruiting trail. Just being a tournament team is not acceptable and got Holly fired and she reached elite 8's. In CHRIST Alone

Biggest three game stretch of KH’s coaching career coming up. Have to beat Arkansas and Vanderbilt. Drop either of those two, and missing the tournament altogether becomes a very real possibility. Perhaps even a likelihood.

LV fanbase is loyal to a fault when it comes to former players, but even with that level of loyalty, I’m not sure that KH can survive missing the tournament.

This just isn’t it to me. The program has had four first round picks in recent years and played the same kind of basketball.

Talaysia Cooper and Kaniya Boyd are both talented players but right now I have a hard time seeing them being played to their strengths.

Rickea Jackson, Rae Burrell, Jordan Horston, Tamari Key, Jewel Spear, and Alexus Dye all individually talented players and in this system they had to work for every single statistic night in and night out.

I never seen a team that made the game look so hard no matter if they were winning or losing.

You got to make a change at this point.
The talent is there but Kellie gets very tight when her stars struggle and relies too much on the subs (Darby, Jill) to make up the difference instead of using them as just a short rest. U can tell in the first few plays if those 2 will be effective today or not. They also don’t need extended minutes.

I’m harping on Tess but she literally had NO STATS and played 15+ minutes

Reactions: WinnerCircle
Tess gave up like 5 str8 to her then airballed a three when Rickea was posting up and I tuned out.

Let's stop trying to blame Darby for the loss. She's not a good defender but only played 15 minutes. Our starters were the reason for the loss--they were awful in the third period--and we had many players with defensive lapses tonight. Spear and Jackson had bad games.

Well I was at the game I could feel they frustration but they let the refs get in their head but a lot of sus calls/no calls..I got a lil upset how Alabama coach was all on the court screaming at refs and they flipped a call because of it but overall missed a lot of chippies bad shooting night get it together n be ready for next game

Well I was at the game I could feel they frustration but they let the refs get in their head but a lot of sus calls/no calls..I got a lil upset how Alabama coach was all on the court screaming at refs and they flipped a call because of it but overall missed a lot of chippies bad shooting night get it together n be ready for next game
This games wasn’t lost because of the refs. It’s the coaching and players not caring at all it looks like

Let's stop trying to blame Darby for the loss. She's not a good defender but only played 15 minutes. Our starters were the reason for the loss--they were awful in the third period--and we had many players with defensive lapses tonight. Spear and Jackson had bad games.
Primarily yes but she played 10 mins too many. Jewell and Rickea and JP can’t have game like that being seniors and super seniors

But newsflash TESS IS A SENIOR TOO. 10 mins too many

I'm sorry, but I don't see the Lazy Vols (not a typo) winning another game this season. Six games left: 2 games against undefeated South Carolina, one against ranked LSU. Those three games are sure losses. That leaves home against Arkansas; at Vandy and home against Texas A&M. We had to fight like crazy and come back and beat Vandy at our place, playing in Memorial Coliseum is never easy or fun. A&M is at our place but they beat us by 15 at theirs. Arkansas might be a possible win, but they beat Alabama, the team that whooped us tonight, earlier this year. A loss in the first round of the SEC tourney would leave us below .500 for the first time ever. Wonder if the NIT would offer an invite?

VN Store

Back