Game Thread: Tennessee (14-7, 7-2 SEC) @ Alabama Crimson Tide (18-6, 5-4 SEC), 7:00 PM (EST), Live Stream SECN+

Well I was at the game I could feel they frustration but they let the refs get in their head but a lot of sus calls/no calls..I got a lil upset how Alabama coach was all on the court screaming at refs and they flipped a call because of it but overall missed a lot of chippies bad shooting night get it together n be ready for next game
Was Kellie doing any of that?

The talent is there but Kellie gets very tight when her stars struggle and relies too much on the subs (Darby, Jill) to make up the difference instead of using them as just a short rest. U can tell in the first few plays if those 2 will be effective today or not. They also don’t need extended minutes.

I’m harping on Tess but she literally had NO STATS and played 15+ minutes

We're not nearly as talented as some of you think we are. Key is very limited athletically and offensively. We lack quickness as a team--and have players who are quite weak defensively. Is Spear good defensively? Not from what I've seen. Jackson is talented but a bit erratic and, again, is not exactly a lock-down defender. We have one---count'em--athletic forward on the team. I thought this team was starting to get it together and then I tune in and watch the 3rd quarter and we looked awful--undisciplined, slow, just tons of bad decisions on offense.

People don’t credit Holly for her recruits for some odd reason.
i have to admit when Holly was fired I was frustrated with the teams performance but her teams had very good rosters and could beat anyone on any given night. This was also my source of frustration because it seemed that we lacked motivation rather than ability. This team lacks intangibles that relate to objectives that all have bought into. One thing to add, it is very difficult to coach college sports as if you have to reduce playing time to get your players to exert more effort and or change some bad habits, The portal awaits, something that Pat never had to deal with.

i have to admit when Holly was fired I was frustrated with the teams performance but her teams had very good rosters and could beat anyone on any given night. This was also my source of frustration because it seemed that we lacked motivation rather than ability. This team lacks intangibles that relate to objectives that all have bought into. One thing to add, it is very difficult to coach college sports as if you have to reduce playing time to get your players to exert more effort and or change some bad habits, The portal awaits….
Definitely had great rosters that never rose to their potential.

I’ll never forget the roster that consisted of Mercedes, Diamond, Cooper, Jackson, Graves, Reynolds, and Nared! I’ll never understand how that team didn’t make it to a FF!

Teams already know when those subs are made they have an advantage and yet they happen every single game.

Then they sit there and act as if it’s the right decision and keep making the same decisions until the game is out of reach.

WinnerCircle said:
The coaching is bad. I’m probably going to check the score a few times during games the rest of the season because sitting through these games is pointless.

If I didn’t know better I would think that sounded like a NV.

People complaining about Tess Darby.

Why now? She has been the same for her career a spot up 3 point shooter who is a liability on defense.

People just now figuring this out, this was a team loss .

The stars underperformed,the role players never showed up and Kellie was like a Deer in headlights.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the Lazy Vols (not a typo) winning another game this season. Six games left: 2 games against undefeated South Carolina, one against ranked LSU. Those three games are sure losses. That leaves home against Arkansas; at Vandy and home against Texas A&M. We had to fight like crazy and come back and beat Vandy at our place, playing in Memorial Coliseum is never easy or fun. A&M is at our place but they beat us by 15 at theirs. Arkansas might be a possible win, but they beat Alabama, the team that whooped us tonight, earlier this year. A loss in the first round of the SEC tourney would leave us below .500 for the first time ever. Wonder if the NIT would offer an invite?
If Arkansas is knocking down threes they will beat us. True on vandy I think they win and A&M is playing better now

We did a great job defensively on Barker. Even though the problems with our subs guarding Nye were obvious, I thought we actually played defense enough to win. It was just that we couldn't throw it in the ocean, and never adjusted any offense to get easier shots.
Couldn't agree more. While I was as frustrated watching Tess guard Nye as others, offense was the bigger issue tonight. 56 points just isn't going to get it done...this team's defense isn't holding anybody under that total. They missed shots early on that were easy, chippies, shots they usually make, got frustrated, didn't get calls they wanted and mentally just fell flat.

And I know Harper is a huge believer in sitting people with 2 fouls for the rest of the half, but sitting Powell...for that long...they needed her on the floor...she is their glue at this point imo and as a 5th year senior could maybe be trusted to play with fouls, especially in such a pivotal game.

Nice comeback attempt in the 4th but a couple missed shots, couple tos, and that was it. Frustrating.

And I know Harper is a huge believer in sitting people with 2 fouls for the rest of the half, but sitting Powell...for that long...they needed her on the floor...she is their glue at this point imo and as a 5th year senior could maybe be trusted to play with fouls, especially in such a pivotal game.
Agree. And one of those two fouls was the changed call, wasn't it? Haven't watched the replay, but that was a huge call.

People complaining about Tess Darby.

Why now? She has been the same for her career a spot up 3 point shooter who is a liability on defense.

People just now figuring this out, this was a team loss .

The stars underperformed,the role players never showed up and Kellie was like a Deer in headlights.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat.
I guess we got spoiled like at Missssippi State where Kellie didn’t play her

Definitely had great rosters that never rose to their potential.

I’ll never forget the roster that consisted of Mercedes, Diamond, Cooper, Jackson, Graves, Reynolds, and Nared! I’ll never understand how that team didn’t make it to a FF!
Graves had a mid-range jumper that was superb but Holly wanted her going to the basket, the jumper brings them to you and she was quick. Graves was a 20 point scorer if she had been allowed to hit that elbow shot. Check it out if possible. Nobody is perfect but Holly will always be VFL. Wish we had been a little more patient.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
WinnerCircle said:
The coaching is bad. I’m probably going to check the score a few times during games the rest of the season because sitting through these games is pointless.

If I didn’t know better I would think that sounded like a NV.
Or a person with a serious case of the

flip flops.

WC is more of a flopper than a flipper, but sometimes his/her jaw is a
serious flapper.

I loved and admired Kellie as a player, but even I have to admit she's not getting the job done as an SEC head coach. And we're getting worse and not better. It's time for her to go...the question is who should replace her?

And the whole damn team needs to get in the gym and put up shots. Shooting 35% isn't getting the job done either.

Reactions: Deebowbear
Rickea Jackson 6/16
Jewel Spear 1/9

Stars are suppose to show up.
Yep. Tough night for our two top scorers. This team can't afford bad nights from anyone anymore, but most certainly not from those two, and obviously not on the same night.

It happens. It just can't be happening to this team. Not anymore.

Do we now need to beat all opponents from here on out except for maybe SC to make the tourney? Goodness. Our girls are in a real bind here. 😢

Last edited:
The fact she left her in WITH a struggling Spear was a terrible decision
Has Tess scored any points in the last two games? The only way she can shoot is when she is completely unguarded. I like her effort but she should never receive a bunch of minutes. Right now she is a liability.

Reactions: VolFuture
Has Tess scored any points in the last two games? The only way she can shoot is when she is completely unguarded. I like her effort but she should never receive a bunch of minutes. Right now she is a liability.
If she’s not scoring (hitting 3s) she provides no value. No stats tn :/ but in 15+ mins

VN Store

Back