Game Thread-Tennessee Lady Vols (12-7, 5-2 SEC) @ Georgia Lady Bulldogs (10-10, 1-6 SEC) 2-1-2024, 7:00 PM (EST)

That was fun and I don't give a damn how bad Georgia is. That offense is how we will win games. Spacing and movement was so good, so many assisted buckets! Lots of options to score. Jewel and Rickea help each other so much and now that Jewel is on fire it really helps take pressure off RJ. Every time GA seemed like they could make a run, one of those two made a big play. Love the combo.

Great game for TK, also JP. Both a tough games at Ole Miss so good to see those bounce backs. JP with 9 assists! Really everyone played well, Sara had a quietly good game.

I thought the subs got handled well, esp for TK. Starting her was different but they managed her mins well, esp in an up and down game. For once I really enjoyed watching a game. Onward and upward.
With key in the starting lineup it changes everything on both ends of the Court. It sucks the defenses in because there is a 6-7 post on the offensive end that has to be accounted for and it deters their offense from trying to get to the paint early and often which was evident. She may not block every shot but at 6-7 she sure is altering the shots. This is a different team with her on the floor. It gives our shooters cleaner looks and allows our defense to get up and guard without the worry of getting beat with no one behind them. I don't care if she's "lumbering" up and down the court or not as many have said, she's moving quick enough to make a huge difference for this team

In the aftermath of the Ole Miss loss, it would be vital for us to win the next four before the SC game. One down, three to go.

We all know Georgia is horrid, but that was a dominant victory on the road. Can’t take those for granted regardless of the opponent. Next up is a home game against a bad Mizzou team that we should be able to win by double figures. Would be a horrible loss, but I think we take care of business and win that one comfortably.

Now, how does beating the snot out of a bad Georgia team translate to going on the road against a Bama next week? Time will tell. My gut tells me if the ladies play as well against Bama as they did tonight against Georgia, they’ll be hard for Bama to handle.

These next three are big. As long as you win the next three, you’re playing with house money against SC. Lose any of those three, and we will have put ourselves behind the eight ball.

Last edited:
She appears to me to play like she's super concerned about possibly getting called for fouls, and that's likely because earlier in the season she was getting called for a foul just about every time she was near the ball. And at least half of those calls were ridiculous and should never have been made. I think she's worrying too much about fouling.
She is worried about getting blown by..

Reactions: volforlife10
Let's be honest Georgia is horrible..

I feel just a bit bad for the Georgia players because there's good talent on that roster, but their coach, shew, that's one of the worst coached teams I've seen in the SEC.

O-M-G!!!!! When I tell you I just cried until my stomach hurt! I couldn’t put my finger on it for 3 years, (and I promise I’ve been thinking about it for that long) and that’s EXACTLY who she reminds me of for some reason! THANK YOU! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
I’ve thought that too since she was at UCF 🤣 just never expressed it until now lol

Reactions: brittannica
I feel just a bit bad for the Georgia players because there's good talent on that roster, but their coach, shew, that's one of the worst coached teams I've seen in the SEC.
This horrible coach had UConn on the ropes just 2 years ago in the NCAA tournament leading a mid major program. Just because of the current outcome of a game does not determine how good or bad a coach is. Your comment is an unknowledgeable one about this coach from Georgia.

Let's be honest Georgia is horrible..
I hate it for you that you appear to tend to be more comfortable looking for the down sides of everything. Just FYI: You'd probably be surprised by how much better it feels to occasionally step outside that mindset and try to find the positives in various situations. I'm not saying that you are wrong in what you post, but just saying that falling into the habit of focusing always on the reasons to be upset or unimpressed instead of at least occasionally stepping back and allowing yourself to find something to be happy and positive about it, is probably a way sadder way to live than is really necessary. Just sayin'.

GO LADY VOLS!

VolBalls33, I'm hoping Key starting will now be the norm because I really liked how she set the tone, literally, from the tip-off, which was nice for a change.

Even if she can only play a 5-6 minute spurt to start, I think it will affect opponents mentally to have to immediately face her in the paint. I feel like it will help Tennessee if opponents' post players and driving guards don't get to start games feeling like they can go inside with confidence. Having Key in from the start obviously has a better chance of immediately affecting opponents' offenses than having her come off the bench does. NOT that Key is going to be "on" every game or affect every opponent. But it's darn well more likely that she wiil than it is that she won't as the Lady Vols navigate these next crucial games.

I guess I'd rather bet on her affecting opponents' confidence early instead of coming off the bench and having to play the role of stopping whatever momentum opponents may have built before she entered the game.

The Georgia game perfectly illustrated the importance of establishing a paint presence early. As has been pointed out several times, Georgia is struggling a bit this season. Even so, they are a team that has talent, don't quit, and our players should feel good about getting that convincing win on a special night in Athens.

Huh. Where are all the people who took the time to log in and take shots at Tennessee after their last loss? Especially the randos who don't ever say anything else around here?

It's almost as if some folks are only interested in logging in and commenting when Tennessee loses. Funny, that.

Lady VOLS looked like more of a team then they have all year. Jewel and Ms. Jackson are stars and Key was one, and a 3/4 Key on the court is still a good Key. I liked the starting lineup.

We got off to a good start and while Georgia isn't a good team, they never came close to making you feel like they had a chance, which hasn't always been the case with these Lady VOLS. ANYWAY, Yay!! I do NOT want to miss the tournament and if we can keep playing as we did tonight, then we should make it, I'd think.

I’ll find the ncaa article but basically that all changed
Tom Izzy questions NCAA on redshirt rules in basketball vs football
That a good article about a college basketball coach saying the same thing I was talking about.

Tom Izzy questions NCAA on redshirt rules in basketball vs football
That Link don't work just the article title

He makes the same complain I was
Making football players can play in 1/3 games in the regular season 4 games plus a bowl game and Redshirt. Rule change in 2018

Basketball limited to medical Redshirting a player with a NCAA apogee injury after not appearing in a game past the 1/3 game of a team season.

Didn't know that players playing one game lost a chance to redshirt.
But it's clear now why no player redshirt without a medical Redshirt.

Does anyone else think this unfair.?

Got give football credit they got together and change the rules .
Basketball and others sports need to do the same.
NCAA should not get in the way
Should help if more schools want it than not.

Anthony Grant on college basketball redshirt rules: it's ' antiquated' and 'needs to change'

Here's a second article by a basketball coach complain ING about redshirt rules.

Some others take on this welcome
Or all of you ok Football has its rules and every other sports has theirs.?
If there's a way to redshirt without medical Redshirting tell how or post link.

Last edited:
VolBalls33, I'm hoping Key starting will now be the norm because I really liked how she set the tone, literally, from the tip-off, which was nice for a change.

Even if she can only play a 5-6 minute spurt to start, I think it will affect opponents mentally to have to immediately face her in the paint. I feel like it will help Tennessee if opponents' post players and driving guards don't get to start games feeling like they can go inside with confidence. Having Key in from the start obviously has a better chance of immediately affecting opponents' offenses than having her come off the bench does. NOT that Key is going to be "on" every game or affect every opponent. But it's darn well more likely that she wiil than it is that she won't as the Lady Vols navigate these next crucial games.

I guess I'd rather bet on her affecting opponents' confidence early instead of coming off the bench and having to play the role of stopping whatever momentum opponents may have built before she entered the game.

The Georgia game perfectly illustrated the importance of establishing a paint presence early. As has been pointed out several times, Georgia is struggling a bit this season. Even so, they are a team that has talent, don't quit, and our players should feel good about getting that convincing win on a special night in Athens. I don’t think opponents will be affected. She’s tall, that’s it. Wait till we play SC or any high caliber team, she will be destroyed because of her laziness.

I hate it for you that you appear to tend to be more comfortable looking for the down sides of everything. Just FYI: You'd probably be surprised by how much better it feels to occasionally step outside that mindset and try to find the positives in various situations. I'm not saying that you are wrong in what you post, but just saying that falling into the habit of focusing always on the reasons to be upset or unimpressed instead of at least occasionally stepping back and allowing yourself to find something to be happy and positive about it, is probably a way sadder way to live than is really necessary. Just sayin'.

GO LADY VOLS!
Seriously?? Lol

This horrible coach had UConn on the ropes just 2 years ago in the NCAA tournament leading a mid major program. Just because of the current outcome of a game does not determine how good or bad a coach is. Your comment is an unknowledgeable one about this coach from Georgia.
The “this one time” loss pays well.

Tennessee was number one in strength of schedule last season. Were currently 11th but are projected to again be number one in strength of schedule. If we can to ten conference wins this should play huge in us being selected over teams with a similar net ranking in our conference.

Tennessee was number one in strength of schedule last season. Were currently 11th but are projected to again be number one in strength of schedule. If we can to ten conference wins this should play huge in us being selected over teams with a similar net ranking in our conference.
Number 2 when it's all said and done I believe is the projection.

VN Store

Back