Genealogy - who are your ancestors?

I have all of my immediate lines with the exception of my mom's father's mother. She claimed to be from Sweetwater, TN but no traces could be found. My bet is on Meig, Rhea, and Roane Cos.

I have all southerners in my history and some fought on both sides of the Civil War. One ggg grandfather was in a Union unit with Sherman going through GA and actually captured a gggg grandfather on a completely different line.

Anyone famous? I have a few politicians back in the colonial days and going even further back William Wallace's uncle through his mom is in my direct descent.
My most famous ancestor is Captain Thomas Wilsford, who was hanged by Governor Sir William Berkley for being one of the leaders of Bacon's Rebellion.

So we have close ties. Thomas Godwin, Speaker of the House of Burgesses at that time is my direct descendant. He was not in Berkeley's favor after he actually sympathized with Bacon. Some family actually sided with Bacon.

Yeah, I started mine last month. Got a connection to Jessie and Frank James, and my G,G,G,G,G Grandfather was Benjamin Franklin's brother.

I'm a descendant of the Beecher/Hooker family, that includes Harriet Beecher Stowe. My mother had Stowe as her middle name.

Wemyss is a pretty easy name to follow... not many of us around. My most famous ancestor would be the guy who was the first to bear the last name... John MacDuff was given the title of "1st Earl of Wemyss" by King Malcom I of Scotland when he took the throne after the death of the usurper, MacBeth. Yeah, THAT MacDuff, and THAT MacBeth. The first Wemyss is best known as the guy that killed MacBeth. Although most historians agree, that wasn't likely and Shakespeare just used it for his story.

There are many more Wemyss' that have played prominent roles in history, most have just never heard of us. :hi:

Though from southern Middle Tennessee (Wayne County) my great-great-great grandfather fought in the US Army in the Civil War.....as a private.

See, these stories you people are telling are great. That's the kind of stuff I wish I knew.

This is the extent of MY family genealogy:

Grandpa Tidwell was born in rural (as if there was an urban part in the 1920s, or now) Clay County, Tennessee. He married Grandma, they had a few kids in Tennessee, moved to Ohio (Dayton, specifically) in search of work in the mid 1950s where Dad Tidwell was born before moving back to Tennessee in the mid 1970s.

That's it.

Kind of contradictory, no?

I thought about it when I typed it... maybe I should have said that they have been part of prominent EVENTS in history, but most haven't heard of them specifically. How's that?

During WWII, Lawrence of Arabia's British support was provided by an Admiral Wemyss. While many have heard about Lawrence and his exploits, no one knows about Admiral Wemyss.

Heh, I was just messin' because it sounded kind of weird, but I know what you mean.

I'm pretty jealous here... you people have admirals, Civil War privates, Kings, early governors of the original colonies and all I've got is a fake black guy that wants you to show him the money.

Heh, I was just messin' because it sounded kind of weird, but I know what you mean.

I'm pretty jealous here... you people have admirals, Civil War privates, Kings, early governors of the original colonies and all I've got is a fake black guy that wants you to show him the money.

I know what you mean. I do have Agent Harris on the Sopranos. :)

They are probably there Tidwell. I wouldn't know if it weren't for the hard work of my grandfather, and an easy to track down last name. I'd say there were some prominent people in your past, you just don't know about it. :good!:

Closest thing to a famous relative I have is Buford Pusser, but he was only a cousin.

My wife's great-grandmother was named after a famous person in her family, Nathan Hale. My mother is related to David Keith.

So we have close ties. Thomas Godwin, Speaker of the House of Burgesses at that time is my direct descendant. He was not in Berkeley's favor after he actually sympathized with Bacon. Some family actually sided with Bacon.
A fact that I think is interesting is that Capt Wilsford's father was Sir Thomas Wilsford. He was a member of Parliament, and was executed because he supported King Charles against Oliver Cromwell. He died for supporting the crown while his son died for opposing it.

See, these stories you people are telling are great. That's the kind of stuff I wish I knew.

This is the extent of MY family genealogy:

Grandpa Tidwell was born in rural (as if there was an urban part in the 1920s, or now) Clay County, Tennessee. He married Grandma, they had a few kids in Tennessee, moved to Ohio (Dayton, specifically) in search of work in the mid 1950s where Dad Tidwell was born before moving back to Tennessee in the mid 1970s.

That's it.
Tid, I looked it up for you. There is only one Tidwell family listed in the 1930 census for Clay County. Noah , Tidwell age 34, Velma 33, Benton 11, Virgil 7, Gerstell 4, and Elbert 2.

my sister and brother have been volunteering at a family history library here in the Burgh for 15 years, they are so into it, my brother has even been out to the Morman Church in Salt Lake City to further his research.

Tid, I looked it up for you. There is only one Tidwell family listed in the 1930 census for Clay County. Noah , Tidwell age 34, Velma 33, Benton 11, Virgil 7, Gerstell 4, and Elbert 2.
:eek:hmy:?!

That's them! Virgil is my grandfather...

I'm not sure how I feel about MBRO knowing who my great grand parents were before I did. :)

Do you mind if I ask where you found that?

I just want to point out the weird connection between Tidwell's ancestor Velma and volsgal's avatar.

:eek:hmy:?!

That's them! Virgil is my grandfather...

I'm not sure how I feel about MBRO knowing who my great grand parents were before I did. :)

Do you mind if I ask where you found that?
I have a paid subscription to ancestry.com. I just did a quick search of the name Tidwell in Clay Co TN. I think the subscription is $24.95 per month. I have access to every census from 1790 to 1930 plus birth, death, and marriage records. They also have a large collection of church records and obits.

If anyone is serious about genealogy it is well worth the money. All of the records you would otherwise spend hours going through microfilm searching for are right there with a search enging to take you to exactly what you are looking for.

Thomas (spelled Thomis) and Nancy V. are Noah's parents. Thomas was born in 1849 and Nancy was born in 1851....

VN Store

Back