Genealogy - who are your ancestors?

Did they go to the western portion of South Carolina with many other Scots-Irish including some of mine?
Yes. As I understand it, he went to an area in what is now Rutherford Co., NC. By the time of the CW my direct ancestors had migrated to Panola Co., MS.

My wife's family saw one go from Schoenebruck, to Shonebruck, Shanebrook, Shanabrook, to Shanabrough. This is just from those wonderful census takers.

I was going to post something about this but decided to look and there was a thread even if its a really old thread.

Over the last several years with the help of my mother I have really got into this and have found that Ancestry.com can become an addiction.

It also helps when both sides of the family has been here even before the Revolution.

Anyone else on here that's become obsessed with this as much as I have?

Reactions: 1 person
I am very interested. Just not enough so to pay for one of those services but I’ve done some research in my spare time. My uncle did a lot but it was before the internet and didn’t cover much of the family tree.

My dads side came to Virginia in the 1600s. They have a long history in England prior to that (they were landowners and could be traced back to the 10th century), but sided with the Royalists in the English civil war and lost most of their land and money when Charles was exiled. So they defected to Virginia and decided to make a go of it.

Reactions: 3 people
My mom got me one of those dna test kit things for my birthday a few months ago. Ended up being:

60% Scottish/Irish
30% English
10% Scandinavian

My great grandmother was full blooded Cherokee, so I dunno how much stock I put into it. Or I’m adopted.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, I really love genealogy too. I had my DNA tested for Christmas about 3 years ago with 23andme. I was around 58 percent English/Scottish/Irish, 12 percent French, 10 percent Scandinavian, 8 percent German, and 5 percent Italian with the rest of it being Eastern European and Native American (Cherokee). That's off the top of my head so I may be a few percentage points off one way or the other.

I don't really have any famous ancestors but the one cool thing I did find out through the testing service was in an email update I got a few months back. Apparently the male members of my father's line (including me) are distantly related to the House of Bourbon (Old French Monarchy). They traced my father's haplotype and matched it to a common male ancestor we all shared a couple thousand years ago. I thought that was kind of cool. Until you remember they weren't the best monarchs and all.

23andme is a great service too. They provide you with constant updates as they add to their own research. And it also tells you if you're a carrier for a myriad of different genetic diseases so if you're thinking of having children, it's nice to have that information.

Last edited:
Nobody famous in my family tree. Though I do have a GG Uncle that was hung for a horse thief.

Also, my 6G grandfather was named Shadrach. His siblings included Meshach and Abednigo. Two generations later, there is a second set of brothers named Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednigo.

I am very interested. Just not enough so to pay for one of those services but I’ve done some research in my spare time. My uncle did a lot but it was before the internet and didn’t cover much of the family tree.

My dads side came to Virginia in the 1600s. They have a long history in England prior to that (they were landowners and could be traced back to the 10th century), but sided with the Royalists in the English civil war and lost most of their land and money when Charles was exiled. So they defected to Virginia and decided to make a go of it.

Check out familysearch.org. It's a site run by the Mormon Church and it has many of the records that ancestry has, except they don't charge you to access them. Genealogy has something to do with their beliefs, and as a result, they've left a treasure trove of information for the rest of us.

We might be kin.

Check out familysearch.org. It's a site run by the Mormon Church and it has many of the records that ancestry has, except they don't charge you to access them. Genealogy has something to do with their beliefs, and as a result, they've left a treasure trove of information for the rest of us.

When my dad researched our family tree in 80's and 90's I remember him talking about how much information he found from the Mormons. Very good resource.

One of my G.G. Granddad's nephews:

41151609_126894749627.jpg

I got on ancestry.com several years ago, and if that is to be believed, I am a decendant of this guy

William Harris (Tudor person - Wikipedia)

My mother’s side comes from Ireland.

That explains my love of English beer and Irish Whisky...and the self loathing.

Dang wish I had found this before... this site is fantastic. I was telling my grandmother about it and she said that she and her mother has used Mormon genealogy as a resource in their research

I was able to find information on my wife’s family which was previously unknown and I was unable to research before

The thing that got me started was knowing why my patriarchal 3G left Europe for America. I began to wonder why all of "The Immigrants" in the family tree branches left England, France,Ireland, Denmark, Italy.
So I really got into the history of those times. The Austro-Hungarian Empire and it's wars. German and Danish Wars. The Cromwellian Protectorate in Ireland and then the protestant William of Orange becoming King of England.

Speaking of William of Orange. In England, Ireland, Scotland there were many protestants who supported William of Orange over the Scottish line of succession who were catholic. More rare in Ireland, but there were some. These were called Billy Boys. Those in the highlands were ....Hillbillies.

When the Scotts-Irish began to immigrate to America, the name followed.

Also, there was lots of orange around the southern highlands and East Tennessee for that reason. Orange was a popular regional color because of so many "Hillbilly" families whose immigrant ancestor had been a political supporter of William of Orange.

In Northern Ireland which the English refused to return, flying the protestant Orange Order flag can be an instant outrage to many of the Catholics, especially those with IRA leanings.

Attachments

• Flag_of_the_Orange_Order.svg.png
    Flag_of_the_Orange_Order.svg.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 0

I joined Ancestry.com about 4 or 5 years ago and I $99.00 every 6 months. I personally think its worth it.

I've found most all sides of my family came into either Virginia, North Carolina or South Carolina by way of England & Ireland. I think a few maybe even into Pennsylvania.

Without looking over my tree one of the earliest I found to come to the colonies was probably in the 1620's or 30's as he died in Virginia on February 2, 1657.

I joined Ancestry.com about 4 or 5 years ago and I $99.00 every 6 months. I personally think its worth it.

I've found most all sides of my family came into either Virginia, North Carolina or South Carolina by way of England & Ireland. I think a few maybe even into Pennsylvania.

Without looking over my tree one of the earliest I found to come to the colonies was probably in the 1620's or 30's as he died in Virginia on February 2, 1657.

Today using that family search site discovered that my wife has an ancestor who was part of the establishment of the Plymouth colony. Pretty cool

Mom's dad is of Dutch descent. Her mom is half French, half Irish. Not sure about my dad's side, which is odd, because my dad's dad works on genealogy every hear haha

VN Store

Back